Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 01:07 PM
    Russia: We’ll Nuke ‘Aggressors’ First
    So much for Obama's utopian world without nukes.

Russia is weighing changes to its military doctrine that would allow for a “preventive” nuclear strike against its enemies — even those armed only with conventional weapons. The news comes just as American diplomats are trying to get Russia to cut down its nuclear stockpile, and put the squeeze on Iran’s suspect nuclear program.

In an interview published today in Izvestia, Nikolai Patrushev, the secretary of the Kremlin’s security council, said the new doctrine offers “different options to allow the use of nuclear weapons, depending on a certain situation and intentions of a would-be enemy. In critical national security situations, one should also not exclude a preventive nuclear strike against the aggressor.”

What’s more, Patrushev said, Russia is revising the rules for the employment of nukes to repel conventionally armed attackers, “not only in large-scale, but also in a regional and even a local war.”

Gulp. If I were in Georgia — or in any other country Russia considers part of its sphere of influence — that formulation would make me pretty anxious.
    It's a good thing we have a supply of reset buttons.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 02:32 PM
    Sabre rattling
    I'm amazed, given the American propensity for preemptive strikes and the rhetoric of recent years, that they have taken so long to develop such a strategy. Makes me wonder what the threat is that they perceive that would require such a response. Surely it isn't a nonentity like Georgia what would cause this sort of bull and bluster and it is unlikely to be a response to the Turkish/Armenian détente. Perhaps the westward expansion of the Han Chinese makes them nervous or the possibility that someone will call NK's bluff. No, if I were a Muslim in Chechnya I might have cause to be concerned
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 02:51 PM

I agree Clete ;also... despite the fact that the fools are arming the Iranians ,they are taking dumps in their pants worrying about Iran getting the bomb. They just don't know what to do about it .
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 05:09 AM
    Armed with the new weapon of a Nobel Peace Prize (with the "dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts" and all of that ) ,and the unilateral concession of dropping the plan to defend Poland and the Czech Republic... the President sent Sec State Evita to persuade the Ruskies to join the peace train.
    She got what one would expect from a one way negotiation... zippo .

Vladdy Putin evidently isn't particularly concerned that he did not make the cut with the Nobel Committee.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    So much for Obama's utopian world without nukes.
    Hello Steve:

Yup, those damn Ruskies... For sure, it's Obama's fault. N. Korea just tested another missile. Obama didn't stop them either... He's a baaaad president.

excon
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 15, 2009, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Steve:

Yup, those damn Ruskies.... For sure, it's Obama's fault. N. Korea just tested another missile. Obama didn't stop them either... He's a baaaad president.

excon
    Nobody is blaming Obama for not having stopped NK from testing missiles.

Nobody is blaming Obama for not having stopped Iran from trying to become a nuclear power.

What we blame him for is DISARMING AMERICA while these things are happening.

What we are blaming him for is his Naïve ASSUMPTION that if HE disarms, everyone else will too.

So yes, he is proving himself a BAD PRESIDENT.

But don't worry... he's got a Nobel Peace Prize. That makes up for everything.

Elliot
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    Nobody is blaming Obama for not having stopped Iran from trying to become a nuclear power.
    Speaking of that, whatever happened to Iran allowing the inspection at Qom? I thought Obama had given them 2 weeks. That was what, 3 weeks ago today?
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 15, 2009, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Speaking of that, whatever happened to Iran allowing the inspection at Qom? I thought Obama had given them 2 weeks. That was what, 3 weeks ago today?
    Yup.

I already made that point elsewhere.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/curren...ml#post2029214

But it is a good point, and bears repeating.

Elliot
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    What we blame him for is DISARMING AMERICA while these things are happening.
    Hello again, Elliot:

Well, he's talking nice... That's for sure. But, as usual, what you think talking nice means is just plain bonkers. Hey. Don't yell at me. I'm working here.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am looking for job in Russia. [ 6 Answers ]

I am looking for a job in Russia. The thing is that I want the main building to be in USA. The position needs to be in Novosibirsk, Russia. I know two languages.(Russian and English). I could help in a english company to translate and work. Please help. ...

Going To Russia [ 3 Answers ]

Has anyone had travel experience in Russia? I've heard you have to get an invitation to get a visa, and you can only get roubles in Russia. I've been learning some basic Russian on the internet. Are English or French widely spoken anywhere in Moscow or St. Petersburg?

How much would a nuke bomb cost for the war? [ 1 Answers ]

I was playing my new game Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and when I died, it said these exact words almost, "a nuke bomb for the war=$2.2 million, and I was just wondering if that was true.:confused: ps, I know this is the wrong place to post this, but I couldn't find the right place, I looked for...

Who profits from USA-India Nuke Treaty [ 1 Answers ]

In dollars and cents, what companies in the United States will profit from the sale of nuclear components to India?

Russia [ 2 Answers ]

How big is Russia? How many different lanuages are in Russia? What is Russian Population, or how many people are currently living there??

View more questions Search