Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freighter707 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2006, 08:09 AM
    Chimney draft
    Having trouble with getting the draft (smoke) to UP the chimney. It seems to be coming down and into the house. This is not a new fireplace but just started this season.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2006, 09:06 AM
    Have you tightened up the house or added a furnace or something else that would compete for combustion air? If so, some suggest cracking a window. I have my house so tight, my fire place wasn't drawing right. You can buy kits for some fireplaces. I made my own, a length of 4'' stove pipe out to the drafty garage. I can give details if you want.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Nov 3, 2006, 08:00 PM
    This may be a stupid question, but did you do the following?

1. Have the chimney swept prior to lighting a fire
    2. Ensure that the draft is open (the draft is a flap of metal that basically closes off the chimney when you're not using it).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Draft is back! 18 to 42 men and women [ 14 Answers ]

For those who missed the news: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h109-4752 109TH CONGRESS H. R. 4752 2D SESSION

Back draft preventers [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone know where I can get roof vent back draft preventers to fit 4" PVC?

Is a chimney liner necessary? [ 5 Answers ]

We will be installing a new mid-efficiency furnace and air-conditioner. We are told that we will need a chimney liner. The old furnace is still using the chimney, but the new furnace will have a vent going out to the side of the house and the only appliance that will still utilize the old chimney...

Chimney starter [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to make my own chimney starter for charcoal grill./ Think use large cans but unsure where the air holes would be placed and what size. Many thanks

View more questions Search