Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deannjohnson Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2009, 06:29 AM
    6 Month Mini Dach. Still pottying in kennel?
    Hi, This is my first time using this site but I need help. I have a 6 month old mini dach. And she is a great dog the only problem is she keeps having accidents in her kennel. She is for the most part potty trained she will sit at the door and go out when she needs to, and I go and let her out at lunch, but sometimes in the afternoon and during the night she will go in her kennel. She is doing better but she still has accidents, she does not bark at night to tell us she has to go out, sometimes she does but not always. We did get her at a pet store where I know it is hard to break the habbit since that is how she was brought up. But we got her out of there right away she was only there for about a week and we have had her for 4 months now. I just need help, suggestions at how to help break this completely. Thank you! :confused:
    tany072075 Posts: 57, Reputation: 4

Oct 14, 2009, 06:38 AM

How big is her kennel? Most of the time if they have too much space to move around in the kennel they think its OK to go in there. If they have just enough room to stand up and turn around they won't want to. Also, at 6 months old, you can really only expect her to hold it for 6-7 hours. Is she in her kennel for longer than that at night?
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 06:40 AM

How long is she staying in the kennel? The rule of thumb is that a dog can "hold it" for an hour of each month of age; so your dog would roughly be able to hold it for 6 hours. However, she is a small breed so the length shortens. The best thing you can do is take your dog out every three hours or so and give a cue to use the bathroom. Praise her if she does. This means getting up at night to take her out. The key to potty training success is prevention. You MUST prevent her from having to go in the kennel. After a while she will stop associating her kennel with potty and will hold it.

Oct 14, 2009, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rankrank55 View Post
    How long is she staying in the kennel? The rule of thumb is that a dog can "hold it" for an hour of each month of age; so your dog would roughly be able to hold it for 6 hours. However, she is a small breed so the length shortens. The best thing you can do is take your dog out every three hours or so and give a cue to use the bathroom. Praise her if she does. This means getting up at night to take her out. The key to potty training success is prevention. You MUST prevent her from having to go in the kennel. After a while she will stop associating her kennel with potty and will hold it.
    Thank you, the only thing, if you let her out at night every 3 hours will she get in a habbit of that.
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deannjohnson View Post
    thank you, the only thing, if you let her out at night every 3 hours will she get in a habbit of that.
    No she won't. This will just prevent her from going in the kennel. After a couple weeks or so, you won't have to do it anymore. She'll hold it and wait for you.

Oct 14, 2009, 09:21 AM
    No she won't. This will just prevent her from going in the kennel. After a couple weeks or so, you won't have to do it anymore. She'll hold it and wait for you.
    Thank you for your help I will try it! Anything is worth a try at this point, and I know she knows she's not suppose to cause when she does it she will come out of her kennel really slow. Thank you again! I will let you know how it goes!
    :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 09:44 AM

Your welcome! Hope she gets better, bless her heart! This is the method I've tried with my small dogs and it works. Good luck!!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by deannjohnson View Post
    thank you, the only thing, if you let her out at night every 3 hours will she get in a habbit of that.
    The question has been answered pretty well, I just wanted to add that you should never let them out in the middle of the night, this will just encourage them to start crying and then you open up a whole new can of worms that need fixing.
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    The question has been answered pretty well, I just wanted to add that you should never let them out in the middle of the night, this will just encourage them to start crying and then you open up a whole new can of worms that need fixing.
    But she would at least need to take her dog out right before she hits the sack, right? To prevent any accidents...
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 06:18 PM
    But she would at least need to take her dog out right before she hits the sack, right? To prevent any accidents...
    Oh yes, of coarse... when we have young ones we let them out late at night before we go to bed, put them in their crates and they can usually hold it until morning when we get up.

From my experience it's best to get into a routine as soon as the dog is brought home, that way there's no confusion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

8 Month old Mini Dashund will not stop peeing on Carpet [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 8 month old miniature daschund, we love him to death, but we can’t seem to train him to pee outside. We use treats and praise when he goes, but find he can be outside 20 30 minutes, come back inside and within 5 minutes pee or poop on the carpet. This was hard enough, but now he is...

Any info for a 2 month old mini schnauzer? [ 2 Answers ]

I brought home a new edition to my family, a 2 month old mini schnauzer. She is the only pet I have and all she does is sleep and hasn't ate at all since I got her from the pet store. Should I be worried? She does play for a little while and potty's OK, just need to know if this is normal for her...

Mini Dachshund with Kennel Cough [ 3 Answers ]

We just picked up our eight-week old Mini Dachshund from his breeder this week. We have a one year old Dachshund/Pomeranian mix that we got last year. The baby has had a weird cough since we picked him up, and I called the vet to see if I could get him an appointment. After finding a caring...

Dach Jack has new bad behavior [ 1 Answers ]

Good Grief... Digestive problems settled, finally 99% housebroken, and now this! Our 10 month old pup has been a handful from the start but we've been getting better all along. Now, he's chewing up anything cloth that he can get in his mouth. He's destroyed two blankets (one was brand new!), one...

View more questions Search