Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mellymo1983 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2009, 09:14 PM
    Facebook statuses
    Is it just me, or is Facebook almost as bad as Match.com? The reason I possibly ask is because I have glanced at some people's profiles and some of the relationship statuses say either in a relationship or engaged and looking for friendship-- I guess call me cyncial and maybe old fashioned but if you comment on being interested in a particular sex; such as being interested in women shouldn't it not matter anyway if you are engaged or in a relationship? I don't know, but to me if someone isn't really available then I don't have time for them. However I have read some profiles and some of them don't mention which sex they are interested in whether it be male or female.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2009, 09:18 PM

If you're not interested, you have the option of not even reading the relationship status portion of the profile. If I'm not mistakened, the profile is a separate tab. I don't even visit it most times.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 13, 2009, 09:43 PM

Engaged but interested in a friendship means just that. It doesn't mean that the person is looking to hook up with anyone.

Most people on Face book don't even accept friendships from people they don't know, so no, it's not like match.com at all.

If you're looking for love you probably won't find it on Facebook.
    Ren6 Posts: 539, Reputation: 121

Oct 15, 2009, 11:16 AM
    I'm on Facebook, and it's not a dating service at all. My profile is open only to friends and family. The only people who can contact me are people I choose.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 11:20 AM
    So you're using Facebook as a dating site? I'd say that'd be the wrong way to use that site and the wrong to go about dating.

Oct 15, 2009, 11:24 AM

No, the reason I ask that is because when other profiles say they are either engaged, married or in a relationship why would it matter whether you were interested in men or women. Doesn't matter you are taken. That was what I was trying to get at because I had a friend tell me that her friend was interested in me and had wanted my number- so when I got facebooked by him his status had said he was engaged. But he claims to say he's single though.

Oct 15, 2009, 11:26 AM
    Plus my ex boyfriend had facebooked me way
    After he had told me that his girlfriend didn't like him talking to me as well. So that was why I asked that question. So to answer your question I wasn't trying to use it as a dating site I just got curious because I have heard so much about it.

Oct 15, 2009, 11:29 AM
    So far since I have been on Facebook I have mainly been communicating with people I had gotten back in touch with people I went to middle, high school with.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 11:52 AM
    People forget to update relationship statuses plus it's easy to just plain lie; face-to-face is still best for meeting people you would consider dating.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 03:29 PM

Like anything else in this world, Facebook can be used for malicious purposes or purposes other then the creator intended.

It's up to the person using it to determine the purpose for their account.

I start an account because I have family in Germany and friends in the US and I thought it would be a great way to keep in touch. Now I'm hooked on the stupid FB games but other then that I use it for the purposed I intended.

I do know that changing your relationship status isn't always as easy as you would think. My husband is on FB as well. My status says married but I noticed that other people had married and then the name of the person they're married to. I had to request my husbands permission and he had to request mine in order to list our names as the spouse. I found that pretty funny, heck, I have a marriage certificate, isn't that enough? ;)

In the end, it's only as good as the person using it. People lie, on the internet, face to face, everywhere. This is why I only accept friendship requests from people that I know well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't log into Facebook [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering if i had a virus on my computer ive tried everyway to log into facebook and when i get to the beg of the page it goes back to this... we can't find "http://as.casalemedia.com/s?s=82460&u=ht..." what does that mean and i try refresh no luck i try loggin back in different ways no...

Can't log in to Facebook [ 4 Answers ]

Since this morning I can't log in on Facebook. It will always ask me to log in even after I log in.. I tried to reset password but it says : "Reset Password Unavailable We're sorry, reset password isn't available right now. Please try again later".. help me.. my husband can log in to his Facebook...

Can't log in to Facebook [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to log into Facebook but when I do I get the following message: Secure Connection Failed

Re Facebook [ 4 Answers ]

A friend put up some photos and I hate the one she put up of me. Can I keep it from Appearing on MY Facebook site?

Can't log onto Facebook [ 1 Answers ]

I am a caveman when it comes to computers. :o Over the past week or so, I have been unable to log into Facebook. It opens halfway, and then nothing... I have no problem with other pagers I have Windows XP and using Google Chrome as web browser. Please, can anybody assist me with a solution??

View more questions Search