Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    njain Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2009, 03:47 PM
    Whose insurance should cover burglary at remodeling project
    We are remodeling our house in San jose, CA and we moved out about 4 months back. The project is about to complete in 2 weeks.

Last weekend we had burglary in our house where the dishwasher, kitchen faucet, filter, speakers, etc were stolen from the property. All these items were yet to be installed.

Whose insurance should cover this loss?

I believe that this loss of building material should be covered by contractor's insurance after all he was working on the project and he has not yet handed it over to us.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 03:51 PM

Who had paid for and owned the property that was stolen?
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Oct 13, 2009, 03:53 PM

Evening njain

You will have to look at the contract between yourselves and the contractor

There should be a section in their that's states what you are repsonsible for and what he is repsonsible for
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phlanx View Post
    Evening njain

You will have to look at the contract between yourselves and the contractor

There should be a section in their thats states what you are repsonsible for and what he is repsonsible for

I'm a liability investigator. I know what I'm talking about. I do investigations along these lines. I have no idea what your expertise in this and other matters is.

You are wrong in this situation. Maybe that's the case in the UK. It's not in the US.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2009, 05:29 PM

I'm assuming you're the owner of the property that was stolen since you said you're remodeling your home? That being the case, your insurance should cover it.

This is not really loss of "building material". Building material is more like lumber, tiles, hardwood planks for floor, etc. If you were doing an addition to your home, then it would've been a good idea to take out what's called a Builder's Risk policy. This gives protection while you own a home that is still under construction.

Usually the contractor's policy covers his materials and gives him liability coverage. Your state may be slightly different but check with your local agent to see exactly what your homeowner's policy will cover. Keep in mind that it'd be subject to your deductible.
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Oct 14, 2009, 02:42 AM

Judy, surely a contract between two parties is the first port of call when delaing with such matters?

Or is just a question that any contract in the US is not worth a damn?
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 05:39 AM

I have NEVER seen a contract which addresses materials stolen from a job site.

As far as the definitive answer - Nikosmom works in insurance, REALLY knows her stuff.

I will add - I'm remodeling a home I own. I pay my contractor to buy a stove and dishwasher. They belong to me. The contractor doesn't install them, they are in the garage awaiting installation and they are stolen.

My homeowners insurance pays.

L
    Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14

Nov 5, 2009, 07:27 AM

First, my authority: Early in my career I was an insurance broker and specialty lines property/casualty underwriter. Last number of years has been spent as a contractor.

We frequently have projects where we are responsible (by contract) for the security of building-owner purchased/owned materials stored on the job site until installed. When these cases arise, I have my insurance agent issue an "Installation Floater." This is an inland-marine form of policy (I get mine as all-risk rather than named-peril) that covers my liability for the safety/security of owner's materials until such time that they form a part of the building OR until owner takes actual possession of the premises from the GC and provides building security. Note that this answer is based on Pennsylvania insurance material, your state may vary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Health Insurance Cover for Old [ 2 Answers ]

My mother is 70+ in age and a very active person. I need information on Health cover insurance for her. Thanks

What to do when primary insurance won't cover? [ 1 Answers ]

My uncle has been diagnosed with lung cancer and is currently in the hospitol due to a recent stroke. His primary health insurance is ready to boot him out and send him home. He is in need of speech and occupational therapy due to the recent stroke. His insurance won't cover therapy or cost of a...

Does every insurance cover birth control? [ 5 Answers ]

I need to purchase birth control. I have hmo insurance, and I'm 19 so I'm signed with my mom for insurance. Will birth control be provided, or do I have to pay? Also, I remember my doctor saying that even if it is provided, something may come up later in terms of paying so I need to check with...

Insurance full cover [ 3 Answers ]

So I was driving down the street when someone cut me off by going in my lane from the right side and he got a stop sign so. I was going 50 mph and he got in my lane he was going like 10mph so I switched to the right lane ( it's a 4 lane street 2 going 2 comming) so I had to go on the right side ...

Will Insurance Cover In My State? [ 1 Answers ]

I am contemplating taking a job in VA. However, I live in WV. Will the new company's plan (Blue Cross) be accepted at the physicians we use here in WV? Thanks for any input.

View more questions Search