Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    togo1982 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2009, 01:43 PM
    When does statute of limitation start on auto loan
    If an auto loan has gone into default, at what point does the statue of limitations begin? I have read it starts at the time of the first missed payment and I have also seen it mentioned where it starts when the loan is written off by the original creditor (this would obviously be later than the first missed payment). Will a credit report give the date which the loan was written off?
    DisabledinMD Posts: 68, Reputation: 0

Oct 14, 2009, 09:30 PM

Depends on state and type of loan. Statute of limitations on debt collection Generally, SOL is based on last payment. Credit report should state when last payment was made, so would your bank records, if you made payments by check or electronically.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2009, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by togo1982 View Post
    If an auto loan has gone into default, at what point does the statue of limitations begin? I have read it starts at the time of the first missed payment and I have also seen it mentioned where it starts when the loan is written off by the original creditor (this would obviously be later than the first missed payment). Will a credit report give the date which the loan was written off?
    SOL varies by state. Which state are you in?

SOL does not start when a loan is written off by the original company. SOL begins on the date of last activity on the account, which would mean a payment. Has your debt actually been written off or are you asking hypothetically?

Also, just because the debt was written off does not mean that you do not have to pay the debt.

Oct 21, 2009, 04:40 AM

I understand that just because the SOL has run on the debt does not mean it is forgiven. It just means the collectors can not contact and/or harrass the debtor. The same with a repossessor.

It was a hypothetical question as to when the SOL starts, date of last payment/activity or when the loan has been written off by the company. In reading about SOL I came across a statement that it could start when the debt is written off. Legally I do not know how long a company can keep a "bad debt" on the books. I imagine it varies by the type of company (credit card, auto loan, etc.).

Thanks for the reply.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 01:12 PM
    I understand that just because the SOL has run on the debt does not mean it is forgiven. It just means the collectors can not contact and/or harrass the debtor. The same with a repossessor.

It was a hypothetical question as to when the SOL starts, date of last payment/activity or when the loan has been written off by the company. In reading about SOL I came across a statement that it could start when the debt is written off. Legally I do not know how long a company can keep a "bad debt" on the books. I imagine it varies by the type of company (credit card, auto loan, etc.).

Thanks for the reply.
    Well, that's not true. Collectors can most certainly contact and usually do harass the debtor. The SOL simply means they cannot take you to court and win.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the reply.
    Now that I've read this thread:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/bankru...nt-403024.html
    I think you're in bigger trouble than you realize. If there is already a judgment in place, SOL doesn't apply any longer and it doesn't fall off your credit report.

Oct 21, 2009, 06:38 PM

You are correct, if there is a judgement it stays on a credit report for 10 years, unless it is renewed for another 10 years. I was just curious about when the SOL starts, date of last payment or when the original creditor writes off the debt from his books. I believe now the answer is date of last payment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of Limitation on Loan [ 12 Answers ]

My boyfriend and his then wife applied for a loan on a boat back in 1985. On divorce in 1998, she kept the boat and agreed to make the payments on the loan. She then hid the boat with relatives and declared bankruptcy naming this loan as part of it. After 10 years in 2008 the finance company...

Personal loan with a promissary note- statute of limitation [ 1 Answers ]

I loaned a supposed friend $2400 three years ago. The first year he gave me $600 and march of 2007 he gave me $300. There is a balance of $1500 of which He has yet to pay back. I am tired of waiting on a train that may never come. I'm ready to begin legal actions if the statute of limitation...

NY Statute of Limitations on Auto Loan [ 13 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, What is the statute of limitations on an auto loan in New York? Thanks

Statute of Limitation on a car loan [ 10 Answers ]

I had a car loan in 1997 in New York. I was unable to keep up the car payments. The car was repossed in 1998 and sold for a cheaper amount than I paid. I now live in Maryland. It is now 2008 and I just received a collection notice from a law firm in Pennsylvania requesting a payment for $6,600. I...

Statute of limitation [ 10 Answers ]

My son was charged on April 27,2007 for a break and enter that allegedly occurred in August of 2005. Is there a statutes of limitation?

View more questions Search