Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stardust713 Posts: 334, Reputation: 65

Oct 13, 2009, 11:16 AM
    Cat having side effects from Sergeant's Gold Squeeze-on
    My cat turns 1 next month and yesterday I gave him a flea and tick treatment, Sergeants gold squeeze-on for cats and kittens 5 lbs. and over, I followed the directions exactly and almost immediately he started trying to lick it off (I'm not sure if he ingested any of the medication or not) but he got really squirrly running around with dilated pupils. I thought maybe it was just burning him since it's a chemical so I didn't worry too much and figured he'd calm down soon. It's been about 17 hours and his pupils are still dilated and I'm noticing the tip of his tail is quivering and he's slightly shaking. He's not running around spastically anymore, now he's walking around really slow and seems kind of depressed.

I'm not really worried, just a little concerned. I've tried researching online, and have found lots of horror stories about this product, but only involving dogs, not cats, and people who didn't use it properly (most used it with another flea treatment).

Should I be concerned or is this normal behavior and side effects? I have never used this exact product on this cat or others, but I have used one other product for this cat, one that I got from the Vet (I think Revolution) and that one worked fine, no side effects. The other store bought products I've used on my other cat never effected him, but I read Seargent's uses a different ingredient than most other products.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 11:23 AM

I am not familiar with this product but no it is not a normal side effect.

Why did you not put it on a place where it could not be licked off?

I thought maybe it was just burning him since it's a chemical so I didn't worry too much and figured he'd calm down soon.
    Why are you not at the vets already??
    Lets pour chemicals on you and not get you treatment.
    He might be having an allergic reaction or as you said, getting a chemical burn!!

Oct 13, 2009, 11:27 AM

I put it on the back of his neck, where you're supposed to put all squeeze-on flea and tick treatments, I can't tell if the product dripped down the side of his neck or if his hair is just stiff from him trying to lick at it.

But I don't have money for a vet bill, that's why I got a store bought brand. They had always worked well for me before, so I didn't think I would have a problem with this one.
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 11:31 AM

He really needs to go to the vets...
    Chemical burns are very nasty and need to be treated by a vet, same with allergies.

I know this is going to sound harsh but owning animals is a privilege not a right... if you cannot afford vet care you shouldn't have the animal.

Put it on your credit card, ask them to make a payment plan for you, borrow from a friend or relative, cancel your internet, there's always options.

Oct 13, 2009, 11:46 AM

Ok I didn't post to be chastised. I know how to take care of a pet, I've had many in my life and never had any issues. I just spent about 400 dollars 2 months ago to get my cat his vaccines, checkup, and neutering. That was the same month I lost my job, and 2 months after I moved out on my own. I'm 21 I don't have credit, I don't have a credit card, and unfortunately I still have rent, groceries, electric, phone, insurance, car, gas and prescriptions that I have to pay for. My mother lost her job about a year ago, my sister lost her job in March, and all of my friends are college students. I need the internet for school.

I love my cat, I already feel terrible that I bought a product which is causing him pain. I know there are vets that frequent these boards, If you're not going to offer me some professional advice then I really don't want to read a bunch of comments giving me guilt trips and haughty attitudes, which I really don't need right now.

I have medical conditions of my own which I can no longer pay for since my insurance was canceled last month and I'm still trying to pay for my prescriptions out of pocket. So maybe save the insults and attitudes for people who's situations you actually understand.

I want help. Not internet drama, so please, don't respond to my post anymore. If you don't know about this product then don't offer help about it.
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 11:53 AM

Actually there are no vets on this board.

You cannot dictate who can answer your posts, I gave you advice and you chose to ignore it. Your cat NEEDS to see a vet whether you like it or not.

Take him to a shelter if need be so he can get medical treatment.

I do not understand how my answer was causing "internet drama" as you put it when I am simply trying to prevent you from getting reported to the SPCA for animal cruelty.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2009, 12:01 PM

The ASPCA has an on line board for members and there are numerous horror stories about this product.
    Evey one indicated the same side effects that you mentioned and some pets needed hospitalization.
    Here is the link.
    Clearly ,this product should be taken off the market.
    Do not use SERGEANT'S GOLD FLEA AND TICK SQUEEZE ON - ASPCA Online Community

Oct 13, 2009, 12:09 PM

The way you responded by automatically assuming I'm neglecting my pet instead of being understanding and suggesting I see a vet is "starting internet drama" I didn't want rude responses. I'm not ignorant, I know the best thing would be to see a vet, unfortunately as explained before at this point in time that's not an option.

I'm not extremely worried because he's not crying and doesn't seem to be in terrible pain, he's calm and responsive, eating drinking and using the bathroom normally, everything I have read says that the pets this product was used on had much more severe symptoms. I posted to see if anyone knew anything about this product and the side effects of it and whether I should be worried.

Some of these products have the side effects of hair loss in the area of application, I'm pretty sure that is from a chemical burn. The product that the vet gave me had this side effect, so I know there are occasional side effects of these treatments, I DON'T know which are normal and which aren't, that's why I posted.

If I don't learn anything here (which it appears I wont) then I'll call his vet and talk to them, I just wanted to see if it was cause for concern or not.

I'm not dictating who can post, I just told you I didn't appreciate the way you responded and would appreciate if you'd move on to another post since you're not helping my case and I would rather not waste time with an argument. You told me, "take him to the vet" that was your advice, I declined it, thanks, but no thanks, moving on.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2009, 12:18 PM

Below is a link to treat your cat after a reaction.
    Sergeant's Gold Squeeze-On for Cats & Kittens (over 2.2 and under 5 lbs.) Veterinary Information from Drugs.com
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stardust713 View Post
    The way you responded by automatically assuming I'm neglecting my pet instead of being understanding and suggesting I see a vet is "starting internet drama" I didn't want rude responses. I'm not ignorant, I know the best thing would be to see a vet, unfortunately as explained before at this point in time that's not an option.
    Yes there is the option of a vet... if you cannot afford one then take you cat to a shelter to see the vet there.
    It's not fair on the cat not to receive treatment just because you do not have the money.

I'm not extremely worried because he's not crying and doesn't seem to be in terrible pain, he's calm and responsive, eating drinking and using the bathroom normally, everything I have read says that the pets this product was used on had much more severe symptoms. I posted to see if anyone knew anything about this product and the side effects of it and whether I should be worried.
    Then why bother posting if you think he does not need to see a vet?
    You stated that seeing a vet is "not an option" anyway so what if he was dying, posting something here does not change that.

Some of these products have the side effects of hair loss in the area of application, I'm pretty sure that is from a chemical burn. The product that the vet gave me had this side effect, so I know there are occasional side effects of these treatments, I DON'T know which are normal and which aren't, that's why I posted.
    Again, I told you that they are NOT normal side effects, any side effects need to be seen to by a vet.

If I don't learn anything here (which it appears I wont) then I'll call his vet and talk to them, I just wanted to see if it was cause for concern or not.
    Yes you did learn something... animals are a big responsibility.

I'm not dictating who can post, I just told you I didn't appreciate the way you responded and would appreciate if you'd move on to another post since you're not helping my case and I would rather not waste time with an argument. You told me, "take him to the vet" that was your advice, I declined it, thanks, but no thanks, moving on.
    Actually yes you are because you told me not to respond anymore.
    I am not trying to help YOUR case I am trying to get your cat the help it needs.

If you burnt your hand you would still eat and drink and act relatively normally but it would HURT LIKE HELL!!

Oct 13, 2009, 12:25 PM

Thank you for the information artlady, It's appreciated.
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 12:34 PM

artlady agrees: If you post a complaint to the consumer protection web site you could be eligible for a pain and suffering reward when and if this becomes a class action law suit.The more people who get involved to get this product off the shelves the better.
    Depends on the wording on the packaging, if there is any indication that the product should tested first or that it may cause allergies or have side effects then it's bad luck... should have read the packaging better and researched beforehand.

Oct 13, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Depends on the wording on the packaging, if there is any indication that the product should tested first or that it may cause allergies or have side effects then it's bad luck... should have read the packaging better and researched beforehand.
    I read the box before I bought it, it says nothing of the sorts. Let's just keep assuming things shall we.

Your arrogance towards people asking for help is sickening. I've been a member of this board for about 2 or 3 years now and never have I come across another member, let alone an "expert" who was so rude. This was the first question I have asked, and the only board I've visited outside of my normal ones and my encounter with you has seriously damaged my idea of this site and its users. I didn't realize people could be so rude.
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 12:51 PM

When did I assume anything? I stated that it depends on what was written on the packaging.

It seems you are the one who has the attitude problem... my answers seem to have struck a serious chord with you indicating that they have truth to them where you could have just ignored them.

You keep insisting that your cat is "fine" and that it doesn't need to see a vet, yet you say it is in "pain" and seems slow and depressed.
    Which is it?

I don't care what you think of me honestly, I am just looking out for the welfare of the animal. If you lived near me your cat would have already been seized, I don't have the patience nor the "sugar coated answers" for people who refuse vet care for their pets.

Oct 13, 2009, 01:09 PM

Ugh! Please just leave me alone, I said no thank you to your advice, can you just leave me and my thread alone now!

I'm already distraught over this. There's no need to add insult to injury. I used a widely marketed medicine on my cat thinking since it's on the shelves and was the only brand that it was safe, I used it EXACTLY according to the directions. I guarantee you my cat would not have been "seized" considering I am NOT the only person who has ever had this problem. People don't "seize" your animals for trying to help them by giving them a medicine that happens to have side effects.

Your comments "struck a chord" because they are uncalled for, not because "they must have a truth". I know the best thing would be to take him to see a vet, but like I said, at this point in time that's not possible, if this had happened 2 months ago I would have taken him hours ago, but I don't have money to spend on a bet bill, especially if it's just a precautionary vet visit and I could have done something at home to help him, which was what I was trying to figure out before I jumped to conclusions.

I didn't say my cat was fine, I said it was having some side effects, but I didn't say he was in pain, he doesn't seem to be in pain, just slow, tired, and not completely normal. I don't know if maybe the medicine has a chemical that makes the animal sleepy for awhile while it's working, I can't find any information, which is why I posted.

I'm not "refusing vet care" I'm glad you apparently are well off enough that you can care for the people and things you love, unfortunately this economy has hit some of us and we can't give the things we love the emergency care they need. The fact that I'm looking for help at all and not just let him suffer proves I care about my pet. I wish I could get him the proper care he needs unfortunately I can't. Now will you PLEASE stop!

Oct 13, 2009, 01:10 PM
    "should have read the packaging better and researched beforehand."

THAT is an assumption, maybe you should look up the definition of "assumption" since clearly you don't know what one is!

You could have said, "next time, make sure to read the packaging and research before using anything on your animal" That would have been a helpful, non arrogant statement, instead of the self-righteous one you made.
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 01:15 PM
    "should have read the packaging better and researched beforehand."

THAT is an assumption, maybe you should look up the definition of "assumption" since clearly you don't know what one is!
    I do believe I quoted artlady, not you.

Oct 13, 2009, 01:17 PM

Considering I bought the product and not artlady I'm pretty certain the snide remark at the end was made toward me.

Can I have a mod close this thread please? I'm going elsewhere for help
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 01:21 PM
    Considering I bought the product and not artlady I'm pretty certain the snide remark at the end was made toward me.

Can I have a mod close this thread please? I'm going elsewhere for help
    You will get the same answer everywhere else.

Get your cat the care it deserves.

Oct 13, 2009, 01:26 PM

I will no longer be promoting this site. I would hate if others in need experienced the same rudeness I have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My ice maker suddenly stopped making ice on Whirlpool gold side by side [ 0 Answers ]

I noticed the ice bin wasn't staying full as usual, the next morning it is almost empty, everything else seems to be working fine. It is a side by side whirlpool gold refrigerator with in the door ice. The word conquest is on the front of the door. The model # is GS6SHEXNL01. I pulled the frig out,...

Side effects [ 1 Answers ]

What are the side effects of metoprolol succ er in adult males

View more questions Search