Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ShariJames Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2009, 05:11 PM
    Sewer back up or not, covered by insurance
    I recently discovered, after a flood in my finished basement of my Condo, that a pipe in the ground under the foundation had collapsed. This was causing any water I used in the house to come back up into the basement. The plumber said it was a collapsed pipe. My insurance agent has told me that they are not responsible for the repairs, because this would be "sewer back up" which requires an additional policy premium and I do not have it. Is a collapsed pipe different from "sewer back up"? I believe it is and this should be covered.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 05:30 PM

The collapsed pipe in this case is what caused the sewer back up and no, it is not covered. The endorsement that your agent is referring to covers the residual damages to your property as a result of the sewage back up, not the equipment failure which in this case is the collapsed pipe.

In general a homeowner's policy doesn't cover to replace faulty water heaters, toilets, pipes, etc [equipment]- it covers the damage that results from these things breaking down.

So in this specific case of your damage resulting from the backup of sewage, then you would need to have purchased the additional endorsement on your policy. Without the purchase of this particular endorsement, this is considered an exclusion of your policy (read your policy booklet). Most times the endorsement is fairly cheap to add; like $25 per year and often has a separate (lower) deductible than the rest of your policy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 12, 2009, 06:12 PM

Normally that is not covered and would need the additional endorcements,
    Even real "flood" is not covered with 1000's of people in Atlanta are finding out.
    Purplepass Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2011, 12:12 PM
    On a Massachusetts homeowner policy which includes the endorsement for backup of sewer and drains am I covered for pipes outside my home that are on my property that have been damaged by tree roots?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is blasting damages covered by insurance company? [ 1 Answers ]

Does home insurance cover damages from blasting in the common area in my backyard? I noticed squeaky noises in different spots in my home which was build in 2000.also there is cracks in the marble fire place and driveway too.I believe that all this damages accrued when the start blasting in my...

Floors covered in insurance? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, We have noticed that parts of our upstairs flooring has been becoming springy! On closer inspection it appears we have chip board flooring laid upstairs and this has started collapsing at the joints, it has all been laid poorly and does not appear to be water treated. To add to that it...

Someone hit my parked car but I got no license or covered by my insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to this site. Last week my dads car was hit at my job . This girl backed up into my dads parked car . I borrowed it to go to work . I have no license or covered by insurance , but my dad has full coverage . People tell me it was parked so it doesn't matter if I got no insurance or...

S it against the law to be double covered for medical insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Is it against the law to be double covered for medical insurance

Roofers covered 1 of 3 roof vents for sewer [ 4 Answers ]

Our house is an older house, I was putting in a ceiling fan and had to remove some drywall over a closet. I noticed that a vent pipe (for kitchen) had fallen on the top of the closet. The pipe had a elbow in it hat had rusted (bad salt air problem here), when they were putting the new roof on...

View more questions Search