Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HizzleFizzle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2003, 10:19 PM
    Dogs and Prawns
    HEYA
    I was juts wondering if you can feed dogs prawn shells??
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2003, 07:55 AM
    Re: Dogs and Prawns
    It may depend on the dog and how risk adverse you are. Dogs that tend to bolt their food down with only a little chewing could chew them just enough to produce sharp shards that could damage their intestines. I am sure the dogs would love a crunchy treat like that, but they may be better off without them.
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2003, 03:30 PM
    In thinking some more about this, it may be a bad idea if the dog is young. It sounds backwards, but a young dog eating too much calcium may not be able develop the good bone structure it needs.
    EVS Posts: 93, Reputation: 3

Feb 16, 2004, 06:37 AM
    Dogs and Prawns
    Here in South Africa, at Noupoort in the Northern Cape, there is the largest breeding colony of American Pit Bull Terriers in the world.

These people make their own dog food and I know that one of the ingredients is prawns.
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2004, 06:46 AM
    Prawns, carefully grown up, could be one ingredient in a complete and balanced diet carefully formulated by an expert and backed up with analytical work. Lacking those resources, the average dog owner is much safer feeding a commercial chow and nothing else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Dogs For Dogs [ 7 Answers ]

My 20 Month Old -13 Lb Female Shih Tzu Has Always Been A Picky Eater. Recently We Gave Her A Beef Hot Dog... she Won't Eat Anything Else. I Give Her 2 Hot Dogs At Noon & 2 At 6pm... she Lovvvvvvvvves Them & Is Happy As Can Be. Am I Feeding Her Too Much & Is She Getting Proper Nutrition? Thank You

Too Many Dogs? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have five dogs. The first one we got is a Yorkie/lasa mix His name is Teddy, he is about 18 months. We then got a Yorkie, Benjie, he is just a year+ then came a little Poodle, Peep and her brother Mr Brown, they will be one on February 1st. I am having a problem house training them all....

Are Potatoes Okay For Dogs? [ 6 Answers ]

Is it safe to feed a dog 1 1/2 tsp. boiled potato, mixed in with their food, two times per day, everyday?

Cut on My dogs lip [ 8 Answers ]

Hello I would like to know about a cut on my dogs lip the reason for the cut is that a dog got loose and came and fought him but before we could break the fight he got caught on the lip and he has a big cut on his lip and I would like to know if its necessary to have it sewed up or the wound would...

OK for cat to get prawns every day? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, My cat loves prawns. She started getting them as an occasional treat but lately she has been getting a dish of prawns every day, (and would like more). Could anybody tell me, please, if there is any dietary reason to be concerned? How often is it OK for her to get them? (She gets good...

View more questions Search