Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jakemon31 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2009, 03:53 PM
    Outlets have power, lights work, won't run tools
    Hello all this is my first time here.

My problem is in my detached garage that has its own elec service separate from the house (I get 2 bills). 100 amp service in the garage and 200 amp in the house.

I tried to install a garage door opener and the outlets in my garage won't run it, the motor does click and light bulb flickers. When I run an extension cord from my house to the opener it works perfectly. I tried 2 different circuits in the garage, both same result. Again, the outlets have power and lights work.

Im no electrician but I removed breaker box cover and everything looks secure I didn't poke around at all
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 12, 2009, 04:28 PM

Sounds more like a door opener installation problem than a electrical problem. Do you have the door safety light beam properly installed and aligned. Flickering lights sound like the electronic lock may be engaged.

Oct 12, 2009, 04:36 PM

It had no safety beam its an older opener. It was laying in the garage when I bought the house last year. When I plug the opener into my house outlets with an extension the opener works fine up and down with no hang ups
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2009, 04:37 PM

Lights have much lower power requirements than a motor.

In all likeliness there is a loose connection. It may not even be in your panel, it could be the service at the connection before the masthead.

You probably don't own a voltmeter, so you can't look at the voltage with or without a load, however, you could plug your toaster in in the garage and I'll bet it doesn't work properly either. Same level doneness in the same amount of time. Depends on how the toaster is designed.
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Oct 12, 2009, 04:39 PM

If you plug it into your house and it works then something is going on with the service in your garage. What is on either circuit now that does work? Just some lights?

Can you run any heavy load on either circuit? Just for kicks, take your toaster into the garage and see what happens.

I'm thinking you have some corrosion, high resistance, on either the breaker or one of the buses. Is it aluminum wire?

Would you know if both circuits are on the same bus? It could also be a problem with the breaker itself.

Oct 12, 2009, 04:45 PM

If it is the service will my electric company charge me for troubleshooting?

@medic-dan all the wire is copper from what I can see in the breaker box
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2009, 04:50 PM

If it's between the pole and the panel or even the main breaker then no because they have to get involved. They are the only ones who can pull the meter.

Oct 12, 2009, 05:11 PM

Try the toaster.

Oct 12, 2009, 05:15 PM
    It could also be a neutral problem, definitely one for the power company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Saturn won't start, power locks won't work, radio resets itself. [ 4 Answers ]

My 99 Saturn has had some starting problems in the past. It would sometimes not start but if you let it sit from anywhere from 45 minutes to 24 hours, it would eventually start. Or, after having Dad look at it, we could tap the starter and it would work. So we thought it was the starter. I...

No power to outlets and lights [ 1 Answers ]

I have been replacing outlets for looks and just did the bathroom. I changed GFI there to and had no power to any on that breaker, I changed the breaker and still no power. I tested power coming from breakers and have 120 v. Please someone help?

For those frustrated w/ power tools that don't work. [ 1 Answers ]

Check out this frustrated guy... Angry Man Shoots Lawn Mower For Not Starting Angry Man Shoots Lawn Mower For Not Starting, Milwaukee Man Accused Of Shooting His Lawn Mower Because It Wouldn't Start - CBS News

Getting power to lights and switches, but they won't come on [ 6 Answers ]

Lost power the other day and flipped the breakers to get them back on. Worked but I lost power in the laundry room shortly after. I replaced the breaker and bought a volt reader and I'm getting power to every breaker. I checked every outlet and even the ones that won't work are getting power to...

Lights on dash won't work [ 2 Answers ]

Can u tell me why the lights on my 97 chevy venture won't work ?

View more questions Search