Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    XPrime99 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2009, 12:45 PM
    Central Vacuum Pipe Apart Inside Wall - Somewhere!
    Hi:

I have an older home with a central vacuum system. The system worked fine but I no longer get any suction.

I believe that a pipe came apart inside a wall. I confirmed this by going to the unit and cutting the pipe after a "Y" and had suction on both sides. The whole lower side works well but that is my basement.

How can I find where the pipe let go in the wall without taking down all my walls!

Any help would be much appreciated.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 12, 2009, 01:20 PM

I seriously doubt that you have a pipe joint that has come apart. Why would it after all theses years? There is a vacuum, not pressure on the line. A vacuum would not blow a joint apart.

It is more likely that you have a blockage. Suggest running a small sewer snake down each inlet with the vacuum running. Is there any female teenagers in the house?

Oct 12, 2009, 03:38 PM
    No female teenagers... anymore!

While doing renovations I have noticed that the vacuum pipe joints are not glued just fitted together. I have glued those that I have exposed. My wife and I also heard an unexplained clunk that we did not understand... until the suction stopped on the vacuum.

Oct 12, 2009, 04:48 PM

OK, with that tid bit of information I'll buy the possibility of a pipe coming loose. Suggest that with all the inlets closed , that you short across the low voltage wiring at the unit and see if you can hear air movement in the wall. Did see a month or so ago that Home Depot had a camera with a 6' cable for plumbers to look down pipes. Don't remember the price.

Before you start cutting into walls confirm that you have an open pipe. Cut the exhaust pipe, short across the low voltage control. With all inlets closed, if you have air coming out the exhaust pipe you have an opening some where. No air (or very little since you don't have sealed joints) you don't have an open pipe.

That unexplained clunk, did it occur while the unit was being used?

Oct 13, 2009, 06:47 PM
    The clunk was not during vacuum use, we didn't associate it until a day later.

I have closed all ports and shorted the system. There is a T right at the vacuum unit. The lower half of the T is for the basement and when it is connected without the top, the suction is fine downstairs. When I connect the top T I get no suction up stairs but noise like it is sucking. I did not hear any areas where there seemed like there was sucking inside the wall. It is an older unit and is fairly loud which doesn't help with the listening.

I also hooked up my shopvac on the reverse setting and blew air into the upstairs system hoping to dislodge anything that was blocking... I found no blockage or change.

A camera may be the way to go... but I think it would be expensive.

I am thinking of listening with a stethascope to see if I can hear more through the drywall, just need to get my hands on one!

Oct 14, 2009, 06:01 AM

How many floors are talking about here? How many inlets? Do you have any concept of how the piping is run. Might try a drain snake or an electricians fish tape from each inlet, to see what you feel. Do you know any to get "canned smoke"?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 10:30 AM

This is probably the cheapest boroscope: Milwaukee M-Spector Digital Inspection Cameras - Borescope

BR200 - Video Borescope/Wireless Inspection Camera

This one is like $300

Terms to look for are "inspection cameras HVAC" or "boroscopes"

Some differences between some of the models are the ability to electronically tilt the head and the ability to attach hooks of various sorts to the end.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing broken pipe threading from inside another pipe [ 11 Answers ]

While trying to unscrew the shower flange (the pipe that comes out of the wall that you attach the shower head to) from the pipe in the wall, the flange broke at the threading that goes into the pipe in the wall, so the threading from the flange is inside the pipe in the wall. We were told to use...

Ice forming on central air inside unit [ 6 Answers ]

When I run the central air(I live in a condo that has a unit in the closet)after about 2 or 3 hours ice starts forming on unit vent.. then it melts and drips all over the closet floor.. What should I do?

Central Air Is Not Inside the House [ 3 Answers ]

I would be more than glad if someone could tell me what wires I need to go buy ? My central air condition unit is in my back yard and I had someone to come and mow the lawn and I believe they cut some wires that run from the house to the air condition unit.When I have the air on the fan that's on...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search