Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2009, 09:29 AM
    Breast pump
    My niece through marriage is pregnant. When I asked about shower gifts I was advised that she really, really wants/needs an electric dual breast pump.

I agreed that this is what I would buy.

Then I got on line! I'm amazed by the cost and the variety of names/makes/models.

Anyone have a suggestion?

This is WAY out of my league!
    nicckidoodle Posts: 146, Reputation: 4

Oct 12, 2009, 05:39 PM

I am about to give birth to my first child, and had the same problem picking a pump, I did quite a bit of research, and finally decided on a lanosh double electric pump, it was 60 dollars at target, and it was highly recommended for comfort by quite a few ladies from my church.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 12, 2009, 05:46 PM

Contact other family and see if they will help go in on it.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 05:57 PM

Judy, the cheaper breast pumps are NO GOOD- don't even waste your money. A quality breast pump is about $250. Medela makes one that is pretty good and you can find it at Target.

Perhaps giver her a gift card for half of it if you don't want to spend that much money. I'm sure she's aware of the cost so if you do decide to buy it, I'm sure she won't be expecting anything else from Aunt Judy. Let everyone else buy the auxiliary equipment (bags for freezing the milk, bottles, etc.).
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 05:58 PM
    Judy, here is a link you should look at, if you haven't already:

Breast pumps

We spent over $225 on "ours".
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2009, 06:29 PM

I am beginning to look for "co-gifters." I had NO idea how expensive they are!
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 06:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I am beginning to look for "co-gifters." I had NO idea how expensive they are!
    Yes, that may be the way to go! The thing is the cheaper ones don't have the same suction and aren't very effective at drawing out the milk so it ends up being a waste of money and time for the mother. But a nicer one will last her for years to come with subsequent children.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2009, 05:59 AM

GO WITH MEDELA! :) I have been breastfeeding for over a year now and this pump has been my trusty sidekick and works very well. Definitely ask for co-gifters; it will be worth it.
    Medela - #1 Choice of Hospitals and Mothers
    xxproudmommyxx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2009, 11:10 PM

I have a Medela and I LOVE it! With my first son I just had a cheap one, and I hated it.

A better pump makes all the difference!

My insurance company covered my Medela pump, maybe you can see if yours will cover it? It was something I had to look into after a friend told me about her insurance paying for hers, otherwise I wouldn't have ever thought that my medical insurance would have covered a breast pump!
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 05:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xxproudmommyxx View Post
    i have a Medela and i LOVE it! with my first son I just had a cheap one, and I hated it.

A better pump makes all the difference!

My insurance company covered my Medela pump, maybe you can see if yours will cover it? It was something I had to look into after a friend told me about her insurance paying for hers, otherwise I wouldnt have ever thought that my medical insurance would of covered a breast pump!

This is a gift for a friend - my health insurance won't cover it.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 16, 2009, 01:22 PM

I've been asking around since I'm due with #1 and I've heard great reviews for the Lanisoh double electric that's $150 - $159. It comes with everything you need except a car adaptor. It also had a great recommendation in the book, Baby Bargains 2009. (Its a consumer reports style book for all things baby)

I've seen it at both Babies R Us and Target

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Submersable Pump - 220 volt - Capacitor Overheating - Pump Shutting Off [ 16 Answers ]

My 220 volt submersable well pump stopped working. We took the capacitor in to be checked one day and it was fine. The next day we took the relay in and it checked out. The following day I pressed on one of the wires that goes to capacitor and the well came on. The wire was old so I knew it...

Can same sprinkler pump serve as wet riser pump? [ 2 Answers ]

In a high riser building of about 100m height, a dry riser system is not visible as the firemen's vehicle can't pump water up to 100m. As such, av decided to have it as Wet riser. At same time I don't want introduce a separate pump to avoid over bloating of project cost. My sprinkler system must...

Pool pump and booster pump timer diagrams [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a diagram that shows how to hookup two intermatic timers to the pool pump and the booster pump. Running 220volts

New here.questions about breast pain, breast lumps [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All! My name is Christy. I am 25 years old. I had my beautiful daughter 15 months ago... that was when I first discovered something was wrong. :confused: When my daughter was 6 weeks old, I felt a lump in my right breast. I thought for sure it was a clogged milk duct. I went in for my 6...

Breast pump [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking into buying a breast pump on eBay. I know I will need to buy the extras for sanitary reasons but I have been told it is okay to buy the pump (or the motor part of the pump). My question is what is a good brand? I am not sure of where to start when looking for a breast pump. Any advice...

View more questions Search