Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nee0637 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2009, 09:09 AM
    Liability coverage for damage to cabin rental
    Hey, I am new to this online group, so bear with me, please.

My question is regarding the liability portion of my homeowners insurance. My family and I were staying with my parents at a vacation cabin in the nc mountains. My wife accidentally turned an iron over onto the floor, which burnt a nice iron-shaped hole in the carpeting in the basement. It was the cheap glue-down style carpet so it burnt pretty quickly.

I told the owners of the cabin since it was the right thing to do. I do not know if they will come calling for repairs or not. The repair could be minor (a patch) or major (replacing all connecting carpeting). Or they might just never call. I am wondering whether it is covered under the liability portion of my policy. There is an exclusion under the liability portion (#14) that states that they will not pay for property damage that is caused by an insured (my wife) who causes damage to a property rented or occupied by an insured. But, my parents were renting for the week and not me. Not to mention, I think the intent on that exclusion is for long-term rentals/condos owned by me that should be insured under separate HO or renters policy, not for a place that is rented for a week on vacation. Also, the policy says the exclusion does not apply if it is caused by fire, explosion, or smoke. I reckon that heat from an iron would not extend to fire :rolleyes:.

Any input would be appreciated. My coverage is in ga, but the loss occurred in nc. I have not called my insurer (allstate) and asked the question because I do not want them to automatically open a claim if I don't need to.

Thanks
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 05:44 PM

Usually your homeowner's policy will transfer to cover your personal property but not liability.

But even if your insurance company would cover this under your policy, I doubt it would be worth it to you to file the claim because it'd be subject to your deductible. More than likely the owners of the cabin will keep the deposit that your parents paid to rent it.

FYI- burning the carpet with the iron doesn't fall under "fire" as considering it a covered loss. ;)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 12, 2009, 05:50 PM

Yes first what is your deductable, 500 or 1000 or maybe even 3000??
    Considering the cost of the repair, even if they replace a entire room of carpet.

Also I doubt this would be covered

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rear End Collision - Liability Coverage [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I was driving a friends car who doesn't live in US anymore. He wanted me to sell his car so I was coming from Walmart after getting a new battery and a tire when while waiting on a red light I was rear ended. Its an old car and I had liability coverage on it. I was going to sell the car for...

Insurance coverage for garage door damage [ 4 Answers ]

Will my homeowner's insurance cover damage to my garage door?

Fire damage liability [ 1 Answers ]

If a juvenile starts a fire on city owned property, a playground area, and the city owned parcel and city owned adjacent parcel have not been properly maintained for fire control, is the city responsible for damages caused to properties adjacent to their property?

RV Park Liability - Damage to property [ 2 Answers ]

I paid a year's rental at an RV Park, I pay for my electric monthly to the RV Park after they send me a bill. The road behind the park has been widened due to a new apartment complex being built and therefore the fence bordering the property had to be torn down. The construction company...

? About insurance coverage to someone's property I damage [ 1 Answers ]

I damaged some property at an office building. It was my fault. Does my homeowner's liability insurance cover that? If not, is there insurance that does cover it?

View more questions Search