Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    julianaakers Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2006, 06:33 PM
    I need help with algebra II
    I have many problems.First I have to solve an equation algebraically using a number line.I know how to do it but one problem is tricky. 0 is less than or equal to -x squared -3x-70 how can I answer this?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2006, 06:39 PM
    First, it's easier if you switch it around: -x^2 - 3x - 70 is greater than or equal to 0. Then put the -x^2 - 3x - 70 in factored form. You'll have to multiply everything through by -1 in order to eliminate the leading negative which'll switch the inequality around to less than or equal to. Once you've got it factored, find the roots and do a sign analysis by using test values (you'll need three) from the intervals formed by the roots. Since the product of the factors is less than or equal to 0, you'll want the factors to have opposite signs. Your solution consists of those sets of values of x that cause the factors to have opposite signs.
    yessenia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by julianaakers
    I have many problems.First I have to solve an equation algebraically using a number line.I know how to do it but one problem is tricky. 0 is less than or equal to -x squared -3x-70 how can I answer this?
    What
    yessenia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 04:32 PM
    What
    Elisha Grey Posts: 31, Reputation: 0

Apr 16, 2009, 10:03 AM
    0 <= -x**2 -3x - 70, so x**2 + 3x + 70 >+ 0. Now the discriminate of this quadratic is negative, so it has no real root. Hence it is either always >+ 0 or always <= 0. Since it it >= 0 when x = 0, it is always >= 0
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by julianaakers View Post

0 is less than or equal to -x squared -3x-70
    Elisha Gray is correct, but I thought I'd lay it out in LaTeX to try to make it clearer.

if you multiply both sides by a negative number (-1), the sign will change:

I'm not sure if you know what the descriminate is but the roots of the equation are given as follows:

For the equation

The descriminate is the part beneath the square root sign. Since a is 1, and c is 70, is always negative so only imaginary roots are possible for the equation.
    latevia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2010, 08:55 AM
    find the ordered triple of these equations.
    x-2y+2z=-2
    2x+3y-z=0
    3x+2y+3z=-15
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2010, 09:07 AM

Hello latevia. Do you want to solve these equations?

And note that you should have made a new thread for your question.

Post back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Algebra help [ 4 Answers ]

I am working on "Multistep Equations" in Algebra 1 and they didn't explain how to solve one of the formulas in my book. Here are a couple of the questions: 9x - 4 = 7x - 10 X = ? 5x - 2 = 3x - 20 X = ? I don't see an easy way to come up with that answer. Can anyone help me find the way...

Algebra II help [ 4 Answers ]

I am stuck on the equations with division like this one 4x+4/2=3(x+2)-2 my brain locks up and I have no idea how to get rid of the fraction and I know that is what I should do first right?? some one please help me Zak:(

Algebra [ 1 Answers ]

Can you please help me with this algebra problem: find points and slope of the following linear equation: (y+1)= -1/2(x-2) I know the slope is -1/2 Are the points (2, -1)??

Please help with Algebra 2 [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone PLEASE help me!!! Algebra 2 is KICKING my BUTT!! I am so stuck on this question it aint even funny. For each point, its distance from the point (4,0) is twice its distance from the line x= -4. (by the way this deals with conics...) THANX TO anyone that helps!!

Algebra [ 1 Answers ]

simplify 1.(x^m+2)(x^-2)(x^m-5)

View more questions Search