Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2pink Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2004, 02:19 AM
    Collection refuse payment
    I live in Nebraska and was wondering what is the law when a collection agency refuses payments. I only received a few notices on this 1 account which was $315.00. I was going to college and just took some time off to work to get catch up. I just received my first check and sent them a $50.00 money order to try to get it paid off.and 2 days later they sent me the money order back and said that my bill was placed in their office for immediate collection in full. They also said if I didn't have the $315.00 I should try getting a loan at a bank. If I have bills in collection how am I going to get a loan? I guess I need to bank where they do. If there is any thing I can do please let me know. Thanks!!
    youareceo Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2004, 08:56 AM
    Collection refuse payment
    A debt collector refusing a payment, unless you are offering to settle in compromise, is bad faith.

Send them a notice with the payment again stating that:
    1) This is not an offer in compromise
    2) You will not pay in check as it will be used to collect the debt
    3) That if they refuse this payment on actual debt owed, that you will refuse to pay at all and invoke estoppel (refusing a payment is waiving their right to get paid at all).

In fact, just send the money to the original creditor if you want, unless they bought the debt. You need to ask. Most payment CSRs don't even look up the record.

Jon
    [email protected]

The preceding is not legal advice, is not from a licensed debt counselor, and is not provided to persons from states which providing such information requires a license.
    donibrook0122 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2004, 12:33 PM
    Re: collection refuse payment
    Here you are again Jon. You're good! I must save your advice for the future.

I'm going to keep looking at various posts... I bet I'll see YOUR name!

Thanks for helping so many folks!

Donna

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refuse food [ 2 Answers ]

Dear expert, My daughter is 2 years old. Our staple food is rice. My daughter just refuse to eat any rice item. I have tried many ways of cooking but she just refuse to eat. She will eat biscuit. Very little amt of noodle. And solely depend on milk and water, maybe some amt of soup. The moment...

Friend refuse to repay the loan "verbal agreement" [ 13 Answers ]

I loaned a friend for $500 having an verbal agreement that she will return the money in few weeks. I helped her as she had won a lawsuit against her lanlord of $4000. Now after 3months, she is not responding my emails, disconnecting my phones. Scaring me that she will make harrasement charges...

Can I refuse rent? (AR) [ 7 Answers ]

Rented to a young man back in Nov '05 and his dad co-signed. Every month it was a problem collecting rent. We had to make several phone calls to both him and his dad and then rent would be paid sometime between the 3rd and the 5th. We were getting really tired of this, but he said in May '06 he was...

Collection agency refuses payment/papers filed [ 1 Answers ]

For the past six months I have been making monthly payments to a collection agency. Was told if I don't triple the amount I was sending, the agency was going to sue me. For four months the agency would call me at work and ask if I was going to triple the payment, if not they were going to sue....

Collection agency refuses payment [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to clear up 3 charges on my credit report. Had a very difficult year. Moved three times did not keep up with existing bills. I pulled credit report. Contacted 2 creditors, both in collections, both sending info and were more than happy that I wanted to make arrangements. Third one,...

View more questions Search