Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    breezss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2006, 04:04 PM
    Settlement?
    I recently totaled out a new car... don't have any idea why we didn't have gap... Anyway, I owe after insurance about $9500.00. Our credit is reasonable about 630... I have offered a settlement amount of $8200. They said that the credit report will reflect that: settlement: paid in full. (will also get the 1099 form) Is it worth the $1300 to have that on the credit report?
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2006, 04:30 PM
    Ideally, you would want them to report it paid in full... ESPECIALLY with a settlement that is THAT high (86%!? They're not doing you many favors here). You should be shooting WAY lower in the first place but if they agree to that much, you should demand that it reflect paid in full.

Im not exactly sure how it works with a totaled car... is it still considered a repo? If so, the repo on your credit is more what you should be worried about.

RE: the 1099... you can be forgiven of the tax on this "income" (as they call it) if you are insolvant. That means that if, at the time of settlement, your DEBTS outweigh your ASSETS, you are insolvant.

Lets say you are a home owner and your home is worth $500,000 and you are currently paying a $300,000 mortgage on it. (for this example, lets also say that this is your only debt and your only asset). That means that you have $200,000 of equity (an asset) and $300,000 in debt. YOu are insolvant and you can be forgiven of this tax by filing a Form 982 (<- click that for a copy of this form).

Hope this helps!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 2, 2006, 05:05 PM
    Hello, no you don't owe after you total a car and the insurance pays the value of the car ( you may owe the deductable) This just does not make since that you could have full coverage on a car.

I am thinking something is wrong right there.

It sounds like they are not offering you enough money for your car, it sounds more like attorney time, than settlement time right now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life Settlement [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for a reputable and possibly independent insurance company that specializes in life settlements.

Should I do Debt Settlement? [ 34 Answers ]

We are $65,000 in debt, (unsecured credit card debt)!! We have looked into LAWGISTIX AND SUPERIOR FINANCIAL GROUP. We are very hesitant to proceed because we have a credit score in the 700 range. We are current in all of our payments, never late, and in good standing. BUT, it is getting difficult...

Debt Settlement-What should I do [ 2 Answers ]

I enrolled in a program with Debt Shield about a year ago. I have since ended the program and settled 2 of the 4 cards on my own. The other 2 are with the same company, Discover Card, and on one account they filed suit. I answered the summons and countersued. It was been almost 2 months since I...

Settlement? [ 1 Answers ]

About 30mins ago I offered to settle my credit card debt with mbna. The mnba rep told me that if I settle my account for anything less than 100% of the balance it will show up negatively on my credit report. Is this true?

Letter for settlement [ 1 Answers ]

I have one credit card that was send to a collection lawyer. After saving for a year I now think I have enough to pay most of it. I would like some key words or sentences to use so they will accept for Offer of about 80% of the credit card. Any help before I write the letter. Total I have is...

View more questions Search