Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    747122 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2009, 10:48 AM
    Whirlpool ice maker stopped making ice
    This happens every few years it seems. The side by side freezer stops making ice. I checked all the water feedlines and they do not appear to be blocked. The unit cycles all the time but it never fills with water... any other items I should be checking? Is there a filter that could get clogged? Thanks
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 11, 2009, 11:46 AM

Check the fill valve. Follow the input line to the fill valve. Turn off the water to fridge. Remove the input line and line to ice maker. Unplug the electrical connection and remove fill valve (two screws). Take to work bench. Cut end off an old extension cord and put on two insulated alligator clips. Attach to valve and plug extension cord to see if solenoid works. There is an internal filter if you want to dissemble and clean. Best to just purchase a new valve at any appliance parts store. If you have ice maker and cold water dispenser you will probably have a double valve.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 11, 2009, 01:00 PM

You may have filter built in. It can be inside the freezer or below the fridge covered by grid.
    If you post the model /brand/ type of the freezer, we'll look it up for you...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool; Dryer stopped heating and timer stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool Dryer that stopped heating and timer stopped working at the same time. What may have caused this?

My ice maker suddenly stopped making ice on Whirlpool gold side by side [ 0 Answers ]

I noticed the ice bin wasn't staying full as usual, the next morning it is almost empty, everything else seems to be working fine. It is a side by side whirlpool gold refrigerator with in the door ice. The word conquest is on the front of the door. The model # is GS6SHEXNL01. I pulled the frig out,...

My ice maker stopped working [ 1 Answers ]

My ice maker stopped working , no water flow, not even the sound of the ice maker trying to work?

Whirlpool frig stopped making ice [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool Gold (GD5RHAXNQ00) frig that just stopped making ice. The dispenser works (ice & water), it freezes/cools all the normal functions without the ice. What could it be?

Ice Maker stopped working... [ 18 Answers ]

Copied from the Plumbing Section: My ice maker stopped working. I found the water line (upper right) tube was frozen. I wrapped a hot towel around it for 10 minutes and that worked. Now I can hear water filling the ice maker (I think), but still no ice - after 10 hours... If I need to pull the...

View more questions Search