Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    allicanbe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2009, 06:24 AM
    MRI and bullet in head
    I have a .22 cal bullet in my head and from what I was told, I can't have a MRI. Or can I?

The lower part of my back and beneath my right shoulder blade gives me so much pain and discomfort that its causing me problems even in my daily routines. I have been to a few referred doctors but they all tell me that they can't really help because without an MRI there isn't any possible way of knowing how or what kind of a problem it is. So all I end up with are CAT scans. Which doesn't show anything so that leaves me back at my original problem.

I have heard of people with bullets or bullet fragments in them and they've had MRI's. Can this be done? I was shot in October 1996 and just curious if there are some sort of new way I can have it done?

Thanks
    gambleongambler Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2009, 06:33 AM

No, you cannot have an MRI. MRI stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging. The magnetic pulls from an MRI machine are very strong, therefore it would pull the bullet out of your body and damage the machine.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 11, 2009, 03:42 PM

And why was the bullet never removed
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 15, 2009, 07:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gambleongambler View Post
    No, you cannot have an MRI. MRI stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging. The magnetic pulls from an MRI machine are very strong, therefore it would pull the bullet out of your body and damage the machine.
    True

To add, even though it may not pull the bullet out of your skull, it would move the bullet, which could do further damage to your brain, nervous system, etc.

The magnet cannot be shut off, so technically, you wouldn't be permitted to get near the machine, let alone have the exam. IF someone has had an MRI with a bullet, it would probably be due to two main factors:
    1. Location of the bullet/metal fragments
    2. Severity of injury. As in, is the risk worth the reward?
    Saskcree Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Oct 17, 2009, 10:58 PM
    A 22.cal bullet is made of lead, or a copper clad lead filler, neither of which is a ferrous metal. MRI centers can't take the chance that you're wrong about the kind of metal you're carrying around in you so it's an automatic no-go. Most shot from a shotgun shell is steel, and shrapnel is generally steel. IF You're CERTAIN it's non-ferrous, ask for an MRI in the region you need information on and don't mention the bullet. Lie? Yes, if you're certain. No harm and you get the information you need...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 18, 2009, 03:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Saskcree View Post
    Lie? Yes, if you're certain. No harm and you get the information you need...
    Lie? To the tune of up to half a million dollars to replace a MRI machine? I don't think so. No harm? Yeah, right... to the pocket books of the patients who help buy the new machine if the OP lied.

MRI equipment varies in cost, depending on the strength of the scanner. Scanners with more strength produce more detailed images; therefore, these scanners cost more. MRI machines can range in cost between $1 and $3 million. Construction of MRI suites can easily add another $500,000 to the total cost. An extremity MRI machine alone costs $300,000 or more, and can only be used to scan hands, feet and knees. Purchasing a used-extremity MRI scanner can cost as much as $150,000.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bullet accuracy [ 3 Answers ]

After a bullet leaves the barrel the speed of its spin gradually slows down right? And the slower the spin gets the less accurate it is. If I made a bullet that held the speed of its spin throughout its entire flight it would be more accurate at longer distances right?

Bullet Through the Apple [ 3 Answers ]

A 0.5kg apple is placed at the edge of a table, 0.8m above the floor. A 10g bullet is shot at the apple in a direction perpendicular to the table's edge. As the bullet passes through the apple, its speed decreases from 600 to 480m/s. The apple falles off the table. a) Find the apple's speed...

Bullet accuracy [ 2 Answers ]

If I could make a bullet that would spin faster and spin longer while it is out of the barrel would that make a big difference in the accuracy at longer distances.

MRI good with bullet in head? [ 8 Answers ]

Can the head of a person who has a bullet in his head be scanned with MRI (magnetic resonance imaging,) or would the metal cause complications?

Bullet speed ? [ 2 Answers ]

Help me settle a bet. If a man shoots a bullet out of a gun straight up in the air, upon the bullets descent when it returns down and is at the same height as it was initially fired what will its speed be? a) the same speed it left the gun Or b) terminal velocity

View more questions Search