Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phoenix1724 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2004, 01:29 PM
    Shy Cats
    My girlfriend and her roommate just got two kittens. They are brothers and are about 7 or 8 months old. They were strays, their mother abandoned them at about 2 months and they were picked up at around 5 months. They aren't used to people and they try to hide any time they hear someone coming. The only way to get them out while in the room with them is to sit quietly and not move. The woman who we bought the cats from said not to let them hide because they would get into the habit of hiding. We have blocked off as many hiding places as we could. I'm just wondering about how long it will be before these kittens get comfortable around people and maybe let us pet them. Right now the only way to pet one is if it is backed into a corner and has nowhere else to go.
    sammy Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2004, 09:59 AM
    Re: Shy Cats
    Every cat needs space if they want to hide let them. Be patent when there ready they will come to u don't force them use treats and toys to get them out of their shell ;D
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Apr 4, 2004, 07:45 AM
    Shy Cats
    Being young, it shouldn't be too long before they become used to you.

Be patient. Offer them some canned food (just a little as a treat) and pet them while they eat. Have some catnip toys available.

The big suggestion is to purchase some Feliway Comfort Zone which is a plug-in device filled with phermones. They make cats feel happy and less stressed. These phermones are naturally produced in a cat's facial glands and they use them to mark territory.

Feliway Comfort Zone is a little expensive but well worth the money.

If you can't afford it, go to your local health food store and purchase some Bach Flower Remedy: Rescue Remedy. Place a couple drops in their mouth or put some in the water. Rescue Remedy is a homeopathic anti-stess remedy for humans and animals.

You'll have to give either (or both) of these methods at least 2 weeks (up to 4 weeks) to start working. Used in conjunction with the other things I told you about, you should have happy kittens in no time.

Don't expect them to ever be completely friendly with anyone but you though. I had a stray rescued at 4 months and she was a one person cat. It took her almost 9 years to let my hubby touch her without having to trap her first but she would come to me with no problem.

Good luck!

Michelle :O

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 cats [ 6 Answers ]

I've got 2 cats one is a 2 year old and the mother of the other one that was born in June. Both are female. The mother is VERY laid back and affectionate the youngster is the opposite yet they've always got along, till now. I just walked into the kitchen and as usual the young one nudged mum out...

How many cats do you have? [ 8 Answers ]

We were planning on having 2 kittens but we might go with 3. Is 3 too many? Right now it would just be me, my husband and the cats but we are going to have a baby sometime in the next year too.All the kitties would be inside. What is your experience with numbers of pets? Thanks!

Poorly cats [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have 3 cats and two of them have been unwell since yesterday morning, they aren't feeding properly and are being very lethargic. They are both 4 years old. They had injections that indicated to may have side effects but this was a week ago could this still be related? Thanks.

Cats Eye [ 8 Answers ]

This morning my cat was lying in bed with me. I put her out while my husband was taking a shower because she has a fascination with water she actually loves it... After he was done with his shower he went into the living room to leave for work and my kitten came back in the bedroom with me. I...

Gay Cats! [ 2 Answers ]

Please give me advice and knowledge because I just saw my MALE cats, in a very disqusting posistion! My older cat was on top of my 3 month kitten!! They neuterd! I don't know what to do or think, I can't find aNy decent articles! Please get back to me asap!

View more questions Search