Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mariasuarez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2006, 01:07 PM
    Small Claim - Day Care
    I filed a small claim because one of my customers didn't pay me. I have the documents but I need to know what to do now, Do I have to give it personally to the defendant? I don't think she will receive it from me, she doesn't take my calls and she has been hiding, could you please let me know what should I do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 2, 2006, 01:39 PM
    Ask the court. If the documents are the summons to appear, then you have to make an official attempt to serve them. The court clerk should tell you what that is. If you have been awarded a judgement, the court should take care of serving them. Now you have to find their assets to attach.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2006, 07:32 PM
    If you filed the claim then the court will deliver it to her, usually by both certified and regular mail, at whatever address you reported on the paperwork when you filed the claim. Actually, part of the filing fee you paid was to cover the cost of postage (certified mail is expensive!) for the court to mail her the notice. If she doesn't appear in court the judge will likely rule in your favor by default. Of course, actually collecting from her will be another matter altogether. Just how much does she owe you? You say she is "hiding" ; it's hard to believe that she'd run and hide over a day care bill. I think there may be some other things going on with this person as well.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2006, 06:41 AM
    Hello maria:

Here, where I live, you must serve the summons yourself (well not exactly, because YOU can't serve it personally), but you are responsible for getting it served. You can hire a process server. They probably have a list of them at the courthouse. But, the clerk of court ought to tell you if the jurisdiction you live in requires you to serve the defendant or the court will.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claim gone bad [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a home with an ex-boyfriend we took two lines of credit out on the home while he was still living there two of his credit cards were paid off in order for us to qualify. A year later I caught him cheating again he quit claimed the house to me, It was notarized and recorded. I refinanced...

Small claim Buffalo, NY [ 3 Answers ]

May I post a claim for refund of a security deposit online? Are claim forms available for download? :confused:

Where to claim deduction? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know how and where to claim the deductions allowed under the India-US treaty. Do I add both the standard & personal deductions and put it under exemptions of form 1040? Also, do I claim both the deductions (3200 + 5000=$8000) on the state tax form as well? thanks in...

View more questions Search