Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suesee18 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2009, 10:52 AM
    Sears Homart furnace - very old!
    We just bought a house with a Sears Homart Gas fired furnace, model # 867.761831. The instruction manual that I found here does not show the actual model we have. I and my brother in law have tried repeatedly to light the pilot light with no success. It burns on natural gas. We've made sure the manual gas valve is open, put the pilot valve on pilot to light it, nothing. I've looked through the whole furnace, have not found a reset button or anything of that type. With it becoming colder here, we need to get this thing going.

My question is, does anyone else still have this type of furnace? Buying a new furnace at the moment is not feasible... ugh!! The furnace itself looks very well cared for.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 10, 2009, 11:12 AM
    I would suggest you have a professional HVAC person look over that old furnace. They are known for cracking in the heat exchange area which will release CO. This can kill you in your sleep if the condition is present. I know money it tight since you bought the house but this is one area you really need to have checked by a pro.
    suesee18 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2009, 11:27 AM

Auuugh, I was afraid of that! Thank goodness we have CO detectors in the home, but I still would be afraid of the poisoning, I've already suffered effects from it before. Thanks for your quick answer, we'll get on that right away!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 10, 2009, 12:14 PM
    Your welcome

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Older Sears Kennmore gas furnace [ 7 Answers ]

I have an older Sears Kennmore furnace, I'm guessing early 80's. Model # 867.763334 Furnace works great but intermittently does not work. When not working, only when I turn the power off and back on to the furnace will it work. Happens 3 times a week. Any ideas?

How many BTU's is my Sears Ten Furnace? [ 2 Answers ]

I have an older Sears Ten furnace, Model #4276451, Manufacture #96709, Serial #H82729917. I need to know how many input BTU's this furnace has.

Where can I buy a Homart Toilet tank [ 2 Answers ]

I didn't realize my toilet was so rare. I am searching for a Homart toilet tank and can not find one. I live in Baltimore City, MD zip 21231. Any suggestions. I have searched for hours on the internet - to no avail

Old sears furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for burners for a Sears Fifteen furnace, model #867.775931 ser # h52844368 mfg# 97391. Can anyone help in locating these items? Thanks~

Old Sears furnace [ 1 Answers ]

We have an older(at least 20 years that we know of) Sears series 600 furnace. Recently the blower started coming on for 10 to 15 seconds than shutting off. After 3 or 4 times of doing this furnace will run through a normal cycle. Also ,sometimes the blower will come on as soon as the burner lights...

View more questions Search