Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ms._Aaron_Turner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2004, 02:49 PM
    Underweight kitty w/struvite crystals
    My little golden persian (5 years old) not only has had a second about of struvite crystals in her urine, but also has very little muscle mass (weighs 5.1 lbs). I have two persians and the boy is fine and strong and healthy. I previously fed them Hill's c/d for 1-1/2 and she was okay for two years but still very thin. I've been feeding both Avi-Derm dry and Precise wet (mixed with water). She got the crystals again. This time I had a complete workup done on her (urine and blood) and the vet found nothing wrong except the crystals and a little infection resulting therefrom. I'm feeding them both Hill's c/d dry and am trying "Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice" wet which has lower Phospherus than Hill's wet c/d. (The people at Mud Bay Granary here in Seattle are looking for alternatives to Hill's) I mix the wet with quite a bit of water (I call it "kitty soup") and I know she needs this for her hydration but doesn't help much with her low weight problem.

Questions: Can the prescription diet hurt the male who doesn't have any problems? And, how can I get some weight on the little girl without crystal formation. She is just skin, bones and fur, but is sweet, affectionate and seems happy.

All comments welcome. Ms. Aaron Turner
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Apr 4, 2004, 08:03 AM
    Underweight kitty w/struvite crystals
    Sorry this reply is so late. Hill's C/D is the best thing for your kitty when struvite crystals are found. Hill's C/D is also a higher calorie food so she should gain weight on it as well.

I would stay away from other foods. That may have been why your cat reformed the crystals. C/D is specially formulated to destroy Struvite crystals and feeding other foods besides negates the whole purpose of feeding C/D.

Canned food is a must to help hydrate. More vets are now saying 50% of the diet should be canned to help prevent crystal re-formation.

If you want to help your cat gain weight, try a nutritional supplement such as Nutri-Cal which is a nutrient dense gel which comes in a tube.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Underweight? [ 16 Answers ]

Hey, I'm 14, and I am about 5 foot 6. I think, compared to most people in my year at school that I am too skinny and underweight. I'm 8 stone, but I don't know what I should be. I done one of those online weight calculators and it said I should be ideally about 132 pounds. I know the obvious...

Struvite Crystals [ 4 Answers ]

My Persian from time to time (she's 4 years old) has the urgency to urinate. Just a drop or so comes out. She is not bloked. Vet said she has a lot of Struvite crystals. She get a tablespoon of Slolid Gold tuna (cat formula) 1 can between 6 cats. She is also free eats a mixture of Praire chicken &...

Underweight... [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fren that is underweight... sometimes she feels sick and she always throw up in school... she once faint in school... my main question is: what healthy food do she need to it to make her weight balance? She don't want to be underweight... :confused: :(

Finding geo's and crystals [ 0 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone new of any good spots to go crystal hunting in the state of California. Any help would be grately appreciated!

Overweight kitty w/struvite crystals [ 4 Answers ]

I have a cat who is about 7 years old, 25 pounds and keeps getting the crystals back in his urine. I have him on the WD right now, but the vet said we needed to take him in to have X-rays to make sure he doesn't have stones. He has been going through test after test during the past 6 months and...

View more questions Search