Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 02:27 AM
    Bench Grinder That Wants to Run in the Other Direction When Turned On
    Hi, All!

Okay, I've got this Delta bench grinder that I've been using for a number of years. Works fine, for the most part. Had to replace the on-off switch awhile back. Even before I replaced the switch, it wanted to turn in the opposite direction after being turned on. I have to turn the wheels to get them to turn in the direction that they're supposed to.

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 02:50 AM

Replace the starting capacitor.
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 02:56 AM
    Hi again, KISS!

What's a starting capacitor and where might it be located on the machine, please?

Also, since the machine is wanting to run in the reverse direction, is there a danger that it might be wanting to not work at all?

I used it for several hours tonight for buffing. I did have to move the wheels to the correct direction when it was starting.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 03:02 AM

It's under the big lump.

Google Images

There is a possibility that you don't have one. Do you have a make and model # for the grinder and/or motor?
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 03:10 AM
    The motors that I see in the images operate on only one end, for production purposes. Mine operates on both ends. Does that make a difference as far as things concerning the starting capacitor.

Yes, I do have a make and model number. As I've already mentioned, it's a Delta. It's out in the garage. I'll go out at some point in the future to get the information off it. It's very late now and pretty cold here!

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 03:39 AM

Dual shaft doesn't make a difference. The capacitor has a value in uF and a voltage rating. Since this is a motor, it has to be AC rated.
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 03:50 AM
    Clough:

Here is a site that has the exploded views and parts for delta grinders. Delta 23-206 parts breakdown on ToolPartsDirect.com Note in the parts list CAPACITOR. Item #64 for this grinder I picked out of a hat. The capacitor is out in left field, so it's probably under the base.

It might be able to be picked up for a fraction of it's cost on the surplus market, but you wouldhave to pay attention to dimensions.
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 07:05 PM

Clough:

Welcome to Jameco Electronics! Great Products, Low Prices.

May have your required capacitor for a few dollars. You just have to find the value.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stump grinder [ 2 Answers ]

How to sharpen carbide tip on a stump grinder

Preventative maintenance for a bench grinder [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for any information on preventative maintenance on an 8" bench grinder that is used in a Machine Shop. I have the daily check information, but need to know if there is any particular monthly, yearly checks that have to be done.

Piggyback a drill to grinder [ 3 Answers ]

Can you attach a drill coupled to one side of a two stone bench grinder and electrically operate both at the same time to boost bench grinder torque for grinding heavier stock? I know that the drill is way lower rpm's, but slower grinder speed not problem; grinder boggs down. Sears 6 inch--1.2...

Inline vent fan with grinder pump [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone every installed an in line vent fan to vent air to the outside for their plumbing system,especially if using a grinder pump...

AC Motor bench grinder Rewire [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to rewire an old AC motor driven bench grinder. For some reason when I hook up my input cord (from the outlet) black to one motor lead and white to the other motor lead the motor locks up. The motor turns to a electromagnet and grabs the armature and locks up with a loud...

View more questions Search