Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BrownDeceit Posts: 366, Reputation: 24

Oct 12, 2009, 03:27 PM

If you read number 11 I said I'm caramel right now. And I could go lighter but caramel is soooo prettY!! I still consider caramel to be light skinned. Lol considering the color I've come from. Sure men will find a brownskin girl pretty. But she has to be EXCEPTIONALLY pretty. It's unfair. And I don't know. People always think I'm mixed. Like not EVERYBODY. But more than FOUR times I was around black girls and I was talking about my hair. And I outted myself when I called it a weave. They would turn around and be like "what? I thought you were mixed" and I'd feel so stupid for letting my secret out. :/ I think it's because of my facial features. Do you have typical black girl facial features? Especially the nose? Because then the hair being yours is less believable. I may not have gotten the skin color of my mothers side of my family. But I got the arabic facial features.
    nikkicute Posts: 733, Reputation: 35

Oct 12, 2009, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkinGirl View Post

Although, I've never been lightskin, I've experienced some of the same things you have as a brownskin woman (men stopping and staring at me, thinking I'm beautiful) Once, I was in the parking lot and a whole group of men came running out to see me, and I was NOT lightskin. So this type of stuff is not just exclusive to lightskin women. There are a lot of men who find brown and carmel women very visually appealing
    EXACTLY!!
    And if your brownskin and men find you attractive you don't have to be exceptionally pretty:rolleyes: give me a break!
    Is it so hard to believe that some men like it brown?
    I think I'll give men (black men) a little more credit than that!
    Let's not forget beauty comes in all colors.

Oct 12, 2009, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkicute View Post
    EXACTLY!!!
    And if your brownskin and men find you attractive you don't have to be exceptionally pretty:rolleyes: give me a break!!
    Is it so hard to believe that some men like it brown?
    I think I'll give men (black men) a little more credit than that!!
    Let's not forget beauty comes in all colors.
    Let's not kid ourselves. An average looking light skin girl and an average looking brown skin girl standing next to each other. Who will get picked first? The light girl. Not because she looks better. But just because she's light.
    afro13queen Posts: 72, Reputation: 5

Oct 12, 2009, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownDeceit View Post
    Let's not kid ourselves. An average looking light skin girl and an average looking brown skin girl standing next to each other. Who will get picked first? The light girl. Not because she looks better. But just because she's light.
    Ive been lurking in this thread for a while and I MUST speak... Im a pretty brown skinned girl.. Not sure who made the comment about not having super african american feautures but Im like that. I have a small nose and its perfectly porpotioned to my face and mouth. I don't have big lips. My mother has a pointy nose and her mother as well. Anyway Im in college now and I have a friend who is very light complected (probably about Alicia Keys complexion) and she is NOT pretty in my opinion. She has the biggest nose I have EVER seen and it is not proportioned to her face at all.. She has NO lips... short, thin hair.. and she's super skinny.no style.. Im not trying to diss my friend but it is what it is and these are facts. Im ab Gabrielle Unions complexion (especially in the winter) and I dress GREAT, My hair is long and thick, My body is like Alicia Keys, I have hips but not too much.. and dudes STAY checking for her... Ive seen situations like these all before but this is just ridiculous... shes just NOT cute. Her attitude is for the birds also. And when I read the above comment I had to speak! Don't get me wrong,guys try to talk to me also! But the guys that try to talk to her are GORGEOUS. Im talking 6,1 lightskinned/darkskinned/brownskinned, it doesn't matter, they ALL want her and Im beyond baffled at it at this point... Id take a FINE darkskinned guy over a UGLY lightskinned guy in a minute!

Oct 12, 2009, 04:46 PM

EXACTLY. I really don't know what it is about skin color that drives some of these men crazy. But I'm telling you. You could put Naomi Campbell next to some ugly light skinned girl from the streets. And they'd take that light skin girl. Lmao.

Oct 12, 2009, 04:59 PM

So so tru! And it makes NO sense! Have you ever seen TI's babymama Tiny? She looks JUST like miss piggy and TI was initially attracted to her because she is mixed... Jesus take the wheel..
    Itss A New Day Posts: 163, Reputation: 8

Oct 12, 2009, 05:04 PM

True true and more true. Needless to say there are so many BEAUTIFUL, above average brown and dark skinned girls that some average light skinned girls couldn't even compete with as far as true beauty, but I have found that a lot of men simply think lighter is better. I had two light skinned friends, both the same shade of yellow, and I would be the only dark skinned girl in the group. They were so jealous of me (and they would tell me) because I had a bangin body (boobs, hips, butt, the works), but the guys ALMOST ALWAYS looked at them first, and they were average in my opinion. There are pretty light skinned girls and there are average light skinned girls, but to guys it simply doesn't matter it seems. And to give credit to my black men yes there are men who simply do not care if a girl is light or dark, but based on PERSONAL experience, and PERSONAL observation, men like light skinned girls a heck of a lot more it seems.

Oct 12, 2009, 05:07 PM

LMFAAAAAOOO. YES YES YES YES! Like can you really compare people like Tiny to women like Chili from TLC or Tatyan Ali from fresh prince? Oh my goodness. It drives me MAD. And honest to God. I have no problem with dark brown skin. I THINK IT'S GORGEOUS. Especially on women with exotic features. But these stupid men. Like light skin. And I don't know why I let them get in my head. So I've bleached my skin. And now they like me more? I LOOK THE SAME!! But with lighter skin. But now everywhere I go. It's "oh she bad" "she a dime" "she sexy yo" and I see guys tap there friends to turn around and look at the fine girl walking by. When I KNOW if I hadn't bleached my skin, I wouldn't get half as much attention. It just boggles my MIND. It honestly does. Sometimes I'll be with my friend who is in my opinion really pretty. She's equally pretty to me. Maybe some may say she's prettier. But who gets more attention. ALL the time? I do. Why? Because I'm lighter. And I think it's such bull. And I feel like I've had the chance to live life twice. Through two different lenses. I make sure that when I'm around women darker than me, that I DON'T act like I'm the ish . Just because my skin is lighter. It's all because of slavery and social standards and conditions. If black people were the slave masters and white people were the slaves. Everyone would want to look like us. I think I'm different from many people on this forum because I really don't find beauty in light skin. I just do it because the rest of society does. And I love getting the good treatment that people with lighter skin get. I gravitate more toward a warm golden shade. I think it's pretty. Not because it's lighter than a brown shade. But because it's glowy. But I also find beauty in darker shades. But the lighter the better it seems in this society!
    Itss A New Day Posts: 163, Reputation: 8

Oct 12, 2009, 05:16 PM
    LMFAAAAAOOO. YES YES YES YES! Like can you really compare people like Tiny to women like Chilli from TLC or Tatyan Ali from fresh prince? Oh my goodness. It drives me MAD. And honest to God. I have no problem with dark brown skin. I THINK IT'S GORGEOUS. especially on women with exotic features. but these stupid men. like light skin. and I dunno why I let them get in my head. so I've bleached my skin. and now they like me more? I LOOK THE SAME!!!! but with lighter skin. But now everywhere I go. it's "oh she bad" "she a dime" "she sexy yo" and I see guys tap there friends to turn around and look at the fine girl walking by. when I KNOW if I hadn't bleached my skin, I wouldn't get half as much attention. It just boggles my MIND. It honestly does. Sometimes I'll be with my friend who is in my opinion really pretty. She's equally pretty to me. maybe some may say she's prettier. but who gets more attention. ALL the time? I do. Why? Because I'm lighter. And I think it's such bull. And I feel like I've had the chance to live life twice. Through two different lenses. I make sure that when I'm around women darker than me, that I DON'T act like I'm the . Just because my skin is lighter. It's all because of slavery and social standards and conditions. If black people were the slave masters and white people were the slaves. Everyone would want to look like us. I think I'm different from many people on this forum because I really don't find beauty in light skin. I just do it because the rest of society does. And I love getting the good treatment that people with lighter skin get.

I was saying in another thread that some people mope all day about something that they're unhappy with, and some people actually do something about it. Whether it is essentially right or wrong, we live in a society where at the end of the day we put ourselves first and unfortunately we also live with mentally dwarfed people.

Oct 12, 2009, 05:22 PM

BrownDeceit me and you are one in the same! I swear when u speak, I feel like uve been swimming around in my head for thoughts! I think that dark skin is GORGEOUS, and I lobby for it whenever I hear someone diss it or say something derrogatory towards it. But Im bleaching for myself also. I do it, because of how much better I feel when I look into the mirror and see how certain colors pop against my skin. At one point I was a light brown, like almost caramel as yourself, but I started slacking on the skin after a family loss... But Im back now and ready to start back up.. Im now an even brown skinned tone, but Id like to get back to my light brown tone.. when I was light brown.. GIRL!! The attention! Girl, men left and right! This guy mixed with black and mexican was ON me... wanted to date me! He was gorg! But that's neither here nor there.. What Im tryna say is I get you girl... eye to eye!

Oct 12, 2009, 05:31 PM

YES YES YES YES. I go offffff on men that diss dark skinned women. Because even though I'm not dark anymore. In my head sometimes I still feel like a dark skinned woman. It's hard to explain. I don't know. It's like I still kind of carry that burden or insecurity around. So whenever someone says something negative about it. I quickly jump to the defense. And I always talk about how beautiful certain dark skinned celebrity women are. And yessss I remember once I had started slacking. Got home on holiday break and realize how much darker I had gotten. AH! But now girl. Ugh the attention. I love it love it love it love it love it. Just today I walked by the whole basketball team on my campus and they all were just eyeing me like I was God's gift to men. And yesssss. I love it because now we attract men of other races. It's CRAZY how many different races try to talk to me now. I just LOVE the attention. And it's POSITIVE attention. And I no longer feel like I have to show off my body to get attention. I can dress classy and elegant. And they like me. They look at my FACE. And they LOVE it. It feels SO GOOD.
    Klaas Posts: 58, Reputation: -1

Oct 12, 2009, 06:32 PM
    YES YES YES YES. I go offffff on men that diss dark skinned women. Because even though I'm not dark anymore. In my head sometimes I still feel like a dark skinned woman. It's hard to explain. I dunno. It's like I still kind of carry that burden or insecurity around. So whenever someone says something negative about it. I quickly jump to the defense. And I always talk about how beautiful certain dark skinned celebrity women are. And yessss I remember once I had started slacking. Got home on holiday break and realize how much darker I had gotten. AH! but now girl. Ugh the attention. I love it love it love it love it love it. Just today I walked by the whole basketball team on my campus and they all were just eyeing me like I was God's gift to men. And yesssss. I love it because now we attract men of other races. It's CRAZY how many different races try to talk to me now. I just LOVE the attention. and it's POSITIVE attention. And I no longer feel like I have to show off my body to get attention. I can dress classy and elegant. And they like me. They look at my FACE. and they LOVE it. It feels SO GOOD.
    HAHA I know how you feel, except I'm a guy. Yeah when I lighnted I got a lot of attention family, and people saying wow you look a lot cutier. And I also have hat Dark Skinned mindset to, when someone disses dark skns whoooooooooo I throw a fit. Even though they say you isn't even dark why do you care. Ahh it feels so good inside.
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2009, 12:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaas View Post
    HAHA I know how you feel, except I'm a guy. Yeah when I lighnted I got a lot of attention family, and people saying wow you look a lot cutier. And I also have hat Dark Skinned mindset to, when someone disses dark skns whoooooooooo I throw a fit. Even though they say you aint even dark why do you care. Ahh it feels so good inside.
    Klaas I didn't know you were a guy! I didn't know you or Fairr were guys! I don't know, it just didn't cross my mind. But, it's good to see some guys here, it makes it more diverse instead of just us ladies... lol

I understand where you guys are coming from exactly. When people go out of their way just to look at you and talk to you just because of the lighter complexion. The difference is very clear, and I prefer it far more than being overlooked. But, when some people try to diss others for having darker complexions I think it's sick and feel the need to stand up. Mainly because we know it isn't right and we have a broader outlook of society. I think the men who have this warped way of thinking "lighter is better" mentallity are the dumbest and shallowest and all I can do is have the last laugh.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 13, 2009, 02:29 AM

Looks is always a mindset, one can discover that dark is wonderful if they get rid of that silly concept that they should be "light" and not learn that they could have been beautiful just the way they were.

Just as some people like a partner that is heavy, or older some prefer light and some prefer dark. So while friends and family ( often because they are nice) say good things because they see the change, to a unknowing public, you may have been just as good looking dark. At least in America, the TV and media have created a unreal idea of beauty that is mostly in the minds of those that don't fit a light size 4.

And all it really takes is learning we all have great features just the way we are
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 13, 2009, 02:32 AM

I have to laugh at such , sorry, but pure bull. This is a concept sold by the media. There are so many guys out there that prefer the darker, and we are trying to change ourself, to make someone else happy?

Oct 13, 2009, 03:49 AM

Are you a woman? Are you a black woman? Are you even black? Have you physically been in our shoes? No you haven't. Because if you have, you wouldn't make such outrageous comments.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 04:05 AM
    Are you a woman? Are you a black woman? Are you even black? Have you physically been in our shoes? No you haven't. Because if you have, you wouldn't make such outrageous comments.
    I know I'm not very liked in this forum but I do have to agree with Chuck...

Now this comment is not going to be taken well and may even get deleted but surely saying that darker skinned people are not as pretty is being racist?

"Woah" I hear you say... she just called me WHAT?

But if you truly believe that someone who has darker skin is not as pretty or is not going to get treated as well then isn't that what defines that term?

I am not the skinniest girl in the world but my partner loves that... he cannot stand stick thin girls... now some guys like the skinny girls and do not like heavier ones... thos guys are SUPERFICIAL...

That goes for lighter girls as well... if you are not getting asked out by guys because you are not "light enough" then you are not finding very good guys...
    A caring, decent man will like you for who you are, not the color of your skin. If you think you are not pretty then no-one else will think you are either.
    DarkSkinGirl Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Oct 13, 2009, 05:50 AM
    If you read number 11 I said I'm caramel right now. And I could go lighter but caramel is soooo prettY!!!!!! I still consider caramel to be light skinned. Lol considering the color I've come from. sure men will find a brownskin girl pretty. but she has to be EXCEPTIONALLY pretty. it's unfair. and I dunno. people always think I'm mixed. like not EVERYBODY. but more than FOUR times I was around black girls and I was talking about my hair. And I outted myself when I called it a weave. they would turn around and be like "what? I thought you were mixed" and I'd feel so stupid for letting my secret out. :/ I think it's because of my facial features. Do you have typical black girl facial features? Especially the nose? Because then the hair being yours is less believable. I may not have gotten the skin color of my mothers side of my family. But I got the arabic facial features.
    I don't have a pointy nose but I don't see what it has to do with my hair being less believeable especially since you can see it growing out of my scalp. Look at Rudy Huxtable from the Cosby Show. She was very dark with a lot of hair. I am very sensitive about my hair and get mad that people assume it's a weave all the time.

What are typical black girl features? I find what you say to be so offensive especially to me. And maybe I am exceptionally pretty. Once a man told me I was the most beautiful woman he ever saw. Take that and I'm brown

Oct 13, 2009, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I know I'm not very liked in this forum but I do have to agree with Chuck...

Now this comment is not going to be taken well and may even get deleted but surely saying that darker skinned people are not as pretty is being racist?

"Woah" I hear you say... she just called me WHAT?

But if you truly believe that someone who has darker skin is not as pretty or is not going to get treated as well then isn't that what defines that term?

I am not the skinniest girl in the world but my partner loves that... he cannot stand stick thin girls... now some guys like the skinny girls and do not like heavier ones... thos guys are SUPERFICIAL...

That goes for lighter girls as well... if you are not getting asked out by guys because you are not "light enough" then you are not finding very good guys...
    A caring, decent man will like you for who you are, not the color of your skin. If you think you are not pretty then no-one else will think you are either.
    Why are people who aren't even black trying to weigh in on this topic. It's so annoying. Can you please read what we are saying? Do you even know who Chili, Tiny, and Tatyana Ali are? We are are saying that dark skinned women ARE pretty but do not get as much praise as light skinned women because they are DARK. I'm so irritated. You don't even know what we're talking about or our perspectives.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 07:03 AM
    Why are people who aren't even black trying to weigh in on this topic. It's so annoying. Can you please read what we are saying? Do you even know who Chilli, Tiny, and Tatyana Ali are? We are are saying that dark skinned women ARE pretty but do not get as much praise as light skinned women because they are DARK. I'm so irritated. You don't even know what we're talking about or our perspectives.
    I don't want this to turn nasty, I just want a general discussion... however you cannot dictate who answers questions.
    Why does it matter if I have dark skin or not?
    What if I said that I think darker people look more attractive, does that make me wrong? What, because I am white?

How do they not get as much praise please?
    And no I have never heard of those people which make me think that they do not get as much praise as you are making out. I think you are relying too much on what the media think... and do you honestly think photos of those girls you admire are not covered with airbrushing?

Here is an example, OK so it's not the best quality but this literally took me about 30 seconds to do.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Custom Made Skin Lightening cream [ 10 Answers ]

I use this skin lightening cream that is custom blended by this lady who owns a skincare salon here in Newyork. Now I use her product and it is very expensive for just a small amount, but it seems like it's the only product that works for me. I'll go and say to myself I can't afford this crap but...

Home-made/cheap for skin lightening that worked for me [ 16 Answers ]

I've tried various store bought and internet bought products to lighten skin and it was all a waste of my money I think what works just as well or better in my experience is a home-made mixture that involve some plain yogurt and lemon juice. This is the website I found the info on Beauty...

Pale, Dull, and Dry Skin As a Result of Skin Lightening? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, My name is linksys2000. I am new to the "Ask Me Help Desk" forum, and site. Thanks for all of the information and perspectives. Somehow, this wealth of information leads to better decisions and ultimately thoughtful choices. So thanks to all of you for promoting this site and...

Skin lightening for dark Afro skin/ max result [ 72 Answers ]

Hey, I've been reading the forums, it is so much info to absorb. Is their anyone who has had dark Afro- Amer or Afro- Carib and are know a fairer and more even complexion from using skin lighteners. If so can you lead me in a direction, I am willing to use any regime just not too expensive. Thanks...

View more questions Search