Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikkicute Posts: 733, Reputation: 35

Oct 10, 2009, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanillawannabe View Post
    I started wanting lighter skin when i was told that i was brown skinned. Prior to being told that i was always told i was the lightskinned girl, but i guess its all perception. Anyway, I know this will sound racist but i think lighter skin looks more clean and pure. I love how clear the skin looks when its very light brown, and plus I want to look racially ambiguous, because even at this shade, people think i am not black (biracial, still black though). So for me i would say its half racial, and half of it is because it looks pure and clean. very dark skin looks dirty to me ( in know its sounds terrible) and they also look like they smell bad.
    I hate that i believe this way
    Would you be friends with someone with dark skin?
    brightskin Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2009, 01:46 PM

Thank you very much for the kind words, nikkicute :)

Vanillawannabe, I understand what you mean about the racially ambiguous part- I'm mixed with a little bit of everything, but I don't look like it. I would like it if people had to guess what race I was.
    EggoMini Posts: 161, Reputation: 5

Oct 10, 2009, 02:02 PM
    I started wanting lighter skin when i was told that i was brown skinned. Prior to being told that i was always told i was the lightskinned girl, but i guess its all perception. Anyway, I know this will sound racist but i think lighter skin looks more clean and pure. I love how clear the skin looks when its very light brown, and plus I want to look racially ambiguous, because even at this shade, people think i am not black (biracial, still black though). So for me i would say its half racial, and half of it is because it looks pure and clean. very dark skin looks dirty to me ( in know its sounds terrible) and they also look like they smell bad.
    wow!:eek: @ darker=stinkier... I need a fainting smiley

Well, I'm not sure what to say.

I do think that sunburned or fading tans & patchiness can look dirty.

A clear radiant skin looks good to me at any color.
    Itss A New Day Posts: 163, Reputation: 8

Oct 10, 2009, 02:06 PM
    I'm sorry you feel that way. I guess it's your opinion at the end of the day but I'm dark skinned and I smell better than roses and do not look dirty even on my worst day, but to each his own

Oct 10, 2009, 03:03 PM

I've noticed no connection between melanin (or lack thereof) and body odor. In my experience there are great-smelling and peeyew people of all shades.

Oct 10, 2009, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brightskin View Post
    Thank you very much for the kind words, nikkicute :)

Vanillawannabe, I understand what you mean about the racially ambiguous part- I'm mixed with a little bit of everything, but I don't look like it. I would like it if people had to guess what race I was.
    Actor Wentworth Miller (cute guy from the Mariah Carey videos)

I would have never guessed this guy was mixed.
    His dad is black/Jamaican.
    BrownDeceit Posts: 366, Reputation: 24

Oct 10, 2009, 03:20 PM

Lol @ Vanilla. I'm not mad at you for thinking that way. I kind of think it's funny that someone could actually think that way and I feel sorry for you though. :/ I guess some of us are a bit more extreme than others. Did something happen to you in your childhood? This is sad.

Oct 10, 2009, 03:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Itss A New Day View Post
    I'm sorry you feel that way. I guess it's your opinion at the end of the day but I'm dark skinned and I smell better than roses and do not look dirty even on my worst day, but to each his own
    Yeah Vanillawannabe did go a little over board with the dirty and smelly part.
    My lightening has always been about me NEVER anybody else.

Even if I saw a darkskinned person I would never think "oh they could use to go a couple of shades cause they're dark", it's not about how someone else looks it's about how I want to look.

That's why I asked Vanillawannabe would she/he even be friends with a darkskinned person?

I've seen some darkskinned guys you can eat off! Hair,shoes, clothes, looking sharp from head to toe! And smell gooooood!

My reasons for lightening are pretty superficial. LOL!
    I have no deep seeded reasons to the point where I would look down on others who are darker than I am.

Oct 10, 2009, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkicute View Post
    Actor Wentworth Miller (cute guy from the Mariah Carey videos)

I would have never guessed this guy was mixed.
    His dad is black/Jamaican.
    LOL! A lot of people are surprised about W.M. I can't say that I was but I kind of have 'the eye'.:cool:

I'm not 100 percent at guessing but I can almost always tell when someone (dark, medium or light skinned) is multirace-mixed.
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2009, 07:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Boy View Post
    Was that "BodyBleach"? That was one of the first I tried too it was nasty, almost as bad as Fair Flawless. It say iare extracts but seemed like hydroquinone thrown in lotion. Left a brown stain in my skin almost a whole year.

Anyways thanks for sharing. :)
    Oh yes! It was the rare extract crap BodyBleach. That mess did nothing. It looked and smelled awful and all it did was make my skin burn, no lightening.
    Golden_Boy Posts: 330, Reputation: 6

Oct 10, 2009, 08:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Girl View Post
    Oh yes! It was the rare extract crap BodyBleach. That mess did nothing. It looked and smelled awful and all it did was make my skin burn, no lightening.
    Yeah.

Just thinking of it I can "smell" that nasty old cigarette ash/butts odor it had to it. And the brown color with rancid texture. :rolleyes:

Oct 10, 2009, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Boy View Post
    Yeah.

Just thinking of it I can "smell" that nasty old cigarette ash/butts odor it had to it. And the brown color with rancid texture. :rolleyes:
    That's what I always heard it smelled like cigarettes.
    What was wrong with your Fair and Flawless product?
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2009, 09:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkicute View Post
    Yeah Vanillawannabe did go a little over board with the dirty and smelly part.
    My lightening has always been about me NEVER anybody else.

Even if I saw a darkskinned person I would never think "oh they could use to go a couple of shades cause they're dark", it's not about how someone else looks it's about how I want to look.

That's why I asked Vanillawannabe would she/he even be friends with a darkskinned person?

I've seen some darkskinned guys you can eat off of!! Hair,shoes, clothes, looking sharp from head to toe!! And smell gooooood!!

My reasons for lightening are pretty superficial. LOL!!
    I have no deep seeded reasons to the point where I would look down on others who are darker than I am.
    I agree, darkskin doesn't mean stinky. I have met people from different races and shades that did not smell lovely at all. You may should surround yourself around darker people Vanilla to get truly realize that isn't true.

I would never consider that someone should lighten their skin either, it is a personal choice for me. It's messed up how some people are treated. Nikki have you ever addressed your mom with how it made you feel of what she had said to you, especially around others?

Oct 11, 2009, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Girl View Post
    I agree. Darkskin doesn't mean stinky. I have met people from different races and shades that did not smell lovely at all. You may should surround yourself around darker people Vanilla to get truly realize that isn't true.
    I would never consider that someone should lighten their skin either, it is a personal choice for me. It's messed up how some people are treated. Nikki have you ever addressed your mom with how it made you feel of what she had said to you, especially around others?
    You picked up on that too huh? When Vanilla post they look like they smell the post was as if "they" are over there and Vanilla is over here like he/she does not associate with "them". Vanilla is biracial, I wonder what he/she thinks of her black relatives, the darker ones?

No, I never addressed my mom on that, happened when I was little. It's nothing I think about, just one those things that I remember.
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2009, 07:21 PM
    That is a good point. Vanilla how did you feel about your other parent who is darker? Do you think they smell stinky?

The actor Wentworth Miller I thought was spanish or something like that, but then again mixed people can look a variety of different ways. He really is a cutie

Oct 11, 2009, 07:29 PM
    Lmao. In Vanilla's defense. I did say anyone can be honest about how they feel. Let's all not throw stones at her. We all have warped views about skin color. Some more extreme then others... Clearly. LoL.

Oct 11, 2009, 07:30 PM
    LOL!! I think we all scared Vanillawannabe away.
    She made that "dirty" comment and has not posted since.
    Oh well...
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2009, 07:48 PM
    Lol... sorry, I was just quite curious and wanted to know more of why the stinky. Vanilla we want you to still post, don't want to scare you away.

Oct 12, 2009, 09:33 AM

Yay! I'm so happy. Things that I love about being lighter skinned:

1. Men stop and stare at me and assume I'm beautiful even when I'm at a distance and they can't see my facial features clearly.

2. Everyone assumes my hair is really this long even though I have extensions. They just assume since I'm light that it's my real hair.

3. I don't feel inferior when I'm around women lighter than me. Even when I know their features do NOT compare to mine.

4. Guys aren't afraid to date me because they think their kids won't turn out dark... Even though my genes are still the same. But it's our secret right? Hahahaha

5. Certain colors really make my skin pop.

6. I love being able to wear this pinkish honey blush that otherwise would look horrible on me.

7. Other women envy me instead of me envying them.

8. I place higher in beauty pageants now.

9. I'm happy.

10. People don't assume I have an attitude problem because of having dark skin. I'm a shy girl and since I'm quiet, people used to think that I had an attitude. Now people just think I'm bashful.

11. I can laugh at all of the idiotic men who I know wouldn't give me the time of day if they had known me when I used to live in Seattle and I was dark skinned. But they all go crazy over my caramel skin and "my" long curly hair Ahhhh the beauty of college. No one knows who you used to be. :)
    DarkSkinGirl Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Oct 12, 2009, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownDeceit View Post
    Yay! I'm so happy. Things that I love about being lighter skinned:

1. Men stop and stare at me and assume I'm beautiful even when I'm at a distance and they can't see my facial features clearly.

2. Everyone assumes my hair is really this long even though I have extensions. They just assume since I'm light that it's my real hair.

3. I don't feel inferior when I'm around women lighter than me. Even when I know their features do NOT compare to mine.

4. Guys aren't afraid to date me because they think their kids won't turn out dark.... Even though my genes are still the same. But it's our secret right? Hahahaha

5. Certain colors really make my skin pop.

6. I love being able to wear this pinkish honey blush that otherwise would look horrible on me.

7. Other women envy me instead of me envying them.

8. I place higher in beauty pageants now.

9. I'm happy.

10. People don't assume I have an attitude problem because of having dark skin. I'm a shy girl and since I'm quiet, people used to think that I had an attitude. Now people just think I'm bashful.

11. I can laugh at all of the idiotic men who I know wouldn't give me the time of day if they had known me when I used to live in Seattle and I was dark skinned. But they all go crazy over my caramel skin and "my" long curly hair Ahhhh the beauty of college. No one knows who you used to be. :)

BrownDeceit, and a few other users, just how are you all able to get so LIGHT?

I am Gabrielle Unions complexion, a bit darker, and the lightest I can get from bleaching is around Meagan Goode's color or a little dakrer.

Of all the creams I've used, and the ones that have worked, I've never gotten remotely close to being lightskin. Once I was described as "carmel", when I used the Fair and White Whitenizer.

Although, I've never been lightskin, I've experienced some of the same things you have as a brownskin woman (men stopping and staring at me, thinking I'm beautiful) Once, I was in the parking lot and a whole group of men came running out to see me, and I was NOT lightskin. So this type of stuff is not just exclusive to lightskin women. There are a lot of men who find brown and carmel women very visually appealing

As for the hair thing, people ALWAYS think my hair is fake. I am dark brown right now, and I have to answer to other black women. They are constantly asking me if my hair is real, and its very very annoying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Custom Made Skin Lightening cream [ 10 Answers ]

I use this skin lightening cream that is custom blended by this lady who owns a skincare salon here in Newyork. Now I use her product and it is very expensive for just a small amount, but it seems like it's the only product that works for me. I'll go and say to myself I can't afford this crap but...

Home-made/cheap for skin lightening that worked for me [ 16 Answers ]

I've tried various store bought and internet bought products to lighten skin and it was all a waste of my money I think what works just as well or better in my experience is a home-made mixture that involve some plain yogurt and lemon juice. This is the website I found the info on Beauty...

Pale, Dull, and Dry Skin As a Result of Skin Lightening? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, My name is linksys2000. I am new to the "Ask Me Help Desk" forum, and site. Thanks for all of the information and perspectives. Somehow, this wealth of information leads to better decisions and ultimately thoughtful choices. So thanks to all of you for promoting this site and...

Skin lightening for dark Afro skin/ max result [ 72 Answers ]

Hey, I've been reading the forums, it is so much info to absorb. Is their anyone who has had dark Afro- Amer or Afro- Carib and are know a fairer and more even complexion from using skin lighteners. If so can you lead me in a direction, I am willing to use any regime just not too expensive. Thanks...

View more questions Search