Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nona jai Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2009, 04:33 PM
    Withdrawl from 401k
    How do I get my money out of my 401k if I still work for the company. Times as we all know is hard and I need that money. I was told I would have to be evicted before I could receive my money. I need help fast.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2009, 08:30 PM

You can take money out of your 401K but it is not like a quick bank transaction where you walk into the bank and get your money. There is paperwork to fill out and you could wait as long as a month to get your money. And you will be paying a penalty for withdrawing it prior to retirement but it's your money and you can withdraw it. And you don't have to be evicted before taking it out either. Whoever told you that does not know what they are talking about. Speak to whoever you have to at your company and get your money now before you are evicted!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 9, 2009, 05:36 AM

Most 401(k) plans do not allow withdrawals by active employees, unless you are using the funds for a particular "hardship" purpose. The various hardships under which your plan must allow you to withdraw funds are:

1. Un-reimbursed medical expenses for you, your spouse, or dependents.
    2. Purchase of an employee's principal residence.
    3. Payment of college tuition and related educational fees and expense such as room and board for the next 12 months for you, your spouse, dependents, or children who are no longer dependents.
    4. Payments necessary to prevent eviction of you from your home, or foreclosure on the mortgage of your principal residence.
    5. Funeral expenses
    6. Repair of a primary residence.

If you need funds for other purpses, you may be able to borrow up to half the value of your account. This is probably a better approach than taking a withdrawal, as there are no income tax or early withdrawal penalties involved. Talk to your plan administrator and see if your plan has this option.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

What charges are there for early withdrawl of 401k withdrawk?

401k withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

I am withdrawing all of my 401k. 20% is taken out already and I will put aside 10% tor tax time. How can I find out how much I will be charged above the 20%?

401k withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

I want to take 46,000.00 from my 401K. I want to withdrawl this amount to purchase a home. I know this is not the smart thing to do, however I need the money, in order to purchase the home. I believe my plan will withhold 10% for federal taxes, and I also believe I will need to pay a 10% penalty....

401k withdrawal [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is a time frame in which my previous employer has to deliver my 401k withdrawl to me once I have requested it from him? It seems to be dragging on way too long. What legal action can I take?

401k withdrawal [ 4 Answers ]

I am recently divorced and have to withdraw from my 401K in order to make a down payment on a house. I am also in the military and will be deploying to Iraq shortly. Question: If I cash in the 401K when I am in a tax free status (Iraq), will I still be taxed the 20% or just pay the 10% penalty?

View more questions Search