Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reeselynn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2009, 09:11 AM
    Can the father of my unborn child get 50% custody if I want primary custody?
    I'm 4 months pregnant and the father of the child and I are no longer together. For personal reasons I want to give the child my last name, not his. He says he can CHANGE the baby's last name once a paternity test is done. Is that correct?
    Also, I want primary custody and would agree to give him visits on the weekends. I'm currently unemployed but seeking work, but I do have a stable living environment. He is employed, currently living with his mom, in the army reserves, but he's married. Does he have more rights to the child or a better chance at custody than me?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2009, 09:15 AM

He can't change the child's last name to his - what you put on the birth certificate is going to "stick." He can try, of course, but he won't be successful.

I would go to Court, file for support (when the child is born). If he wants custody/visitation, then he will file for it.

You have equal rights - it sounds like he cannot care for an infant but you can. I can see split custody - 1/2 with you, 1/2 with him - somewhere down the road but not at this time.

As long as you are not a danger to the child in some way (you can feed/clothe/house the child) you will "probably" get primary/custodial custody.

It's hard to guess what the Court is going to do so this is just a rule of thumb.
    d.hayes89 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2012, 03:27 PM
    Depending on the state. In mississppi if the father is in the child's life weither your married or not the courts will grant the last name.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2012, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by d.hayes89 View Post
    Depending on the state. In mississppi if the father is in the childs life weither your married or not the courts will grant the last name.

This is not correct - the "father" cannot change the child's last name to the last name of the father without PROOF that he is he father and then it is still the decision of the mother whether to allow the change.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are asking - please post your research or where you read this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the father of a unborn child get full custody [ 4 Answers ]

I am going through a divorce and my husband has threaten to get full custody of the baby when it's born. He said that he is going to prove that I'm unstable and make up stories to make me look bad to the judge. I got a restraining order for domestic violence because of the abuse but recently I was...

Can father of my unborn child receive custody or visitation rights after child is bor [ 5 Answers ]

I am pregnant and the babies father is going after custody or visitation when the child is born. He is very abusive and does have a violent record from the past. He is been making many threats towards me and my unborn child. He has even stated that once he has the child in his hands he stated that...

Father getting custodial custody of unborn child [ 5 Answers ]

I am about to become a first time father, and the woman and I are not together anymore. I have not been abusive to her as she claims. She and I are not able to be in a relationship due to her physical abuse to me YES physical abuse. She drinks until the point of rage and anger, she uses cocaine...

Father seeking child custody of an unborn child [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get partial custody to my unborn child? The mother refusing to name me as the father. I know I can file after the baby is born, but I want to be there for the birth of my child.

I want to give custody of my unborn child to the father before the child is born [ 2 Answers ]

I am pregnant and wish to give custody to the father before the child is born

View more questions Search