Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2009, 12:02 AM
    Crafts You Like to Make for Fun, Holidays, Gift Giving and Profit
    Hi All!

I know that we have a number of artsy-crafty people on this site. What are some of the things that you like to make, please?

Crafts can be made of so many different types of material - paper, wood, glass, ceramics, plaster, objects of nature, string, metal, cloth, rubber, leather and other types of fabrics as well as other types of material and things too. They can be placed on tables and other horizontal surfaces, hung on walls, used as yard and porch decorations, tree decorations, door decorations, attached to clothing, possibly used as clothing of some sort, used in the hair of a person or adorning a pet in some way - just about anything goes with what to make and how to make crafts and where they might be placed...

I can think of the primary Western World holidays when someone might want to make a craft of some sort - Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc. What about for some Eastern World holidays? Perhaps for special events that might only take place once in a person's life like graduations, retirements, etc. Let's not forget birthdays!

Perhaps you like to make crafts in general to give as gifts to loved ones, friends, co-workers, etc. with no special occasion being associated with making the craft? Perhaps you might make a craft just simply out of friendship with someone or for you to pass the time, or even to make to be used as a keepsake someday for your children.

Any successes with making crafts in order to make a profit on a regular or temporary basis?

Posting what materials to use and how to make the crafts, and of course, images, would also be great!

Please share what crafts you like to make for various reasons!

Thanks!
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Oct 8, 2009, 12:33 AM
    Hi,
    For Christmas, I like to paint on clear, round, glass ornaments. I personalize them and paint something that describes an experience they had that year. I add a decorative bow. I also put the year on it. People love them. I have a few friends that have a collection of them. :D

Something I just started... I found these mini picnic baskets (about 10 inches long) and I paint and decorate them with different themes. I découpage retro and pop art pictures and embellish with fun miniatures. I add "cartoon speech bubbles" with funny phrases and quotes. My friends use them as purses.
    L:)L
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2009, 12:38 AM
    Hi, summer7!

Do you have any images of what you've done that you would be willing to post here?

I'd also like to know what the kind of paint is that you use on the glass ornaments, please?

Thanks!
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2009, 05:26 AM

Hi Summer,
    Love your idea of basket decoration.

Look forward to seeing some pics.

Oct 8, 2009, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, summer7!

Do you have any images of what you've done that you would be willing to post here?

I'd also like to know what the kind of paint is that you use on the glass ornaments, please?

Thanks!
    I'll take some pix next time I get crafty. Also, the paint I use is acrylic. I put a high gloss finish on it with this stuff called Mod Podge. Be sure to dab it on and not stroke it on when the paint is dry because it tends to pull a little of the paint off that way. It goes on milky but dries clear and glossy.

There are different types of Mod Podge. It works as a glue too and is great for decopauge. I provided a link below so you can check it out.

Click here: Mod Podge, Glue & Decoupage Products from Plaid Enterprises

Have fun :D:p:)!!!
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2009, 05:34 PM
    Interested, oh yes I am! Come November I think I may start something... Hmmmm, I got to do something for the holidays!
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2009, 03:35 AM
    Okay, I was hoping that this thread would "take off" and have a life of it's own. But, maybe it will and maybe it won't...

I've carefully worded the original post so that it will get excellent exposure when people do searches for things on the Internet. I can also see that it's already gotten about 100 views by people, even though very few have posted on it.

Will just have to see how things go...

I am still hopeful, here! :)

Thanks!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 11:41 AM
    I love making things to suit my purposes for around the house and inside, but I don't think they would be considered crafts.:(

I used to paint frames (for pictures) for people, but I gave them all away. I don't do that any more because I don't have the time or the eye sight.:)
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 03:02 PM
    Name:  la la birthday 002.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  104.7 KB
    This is my messy craft and whatever bench

Name:  la la birthday 006.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  179.8 KB
    This is my craft closet full of things to do
    Name:  la la birthday 005.jpg
Views: 2012
Size:  105.2 KB
    These are some balls I made for the garden, hopefully they look like concrete:D

Name:  la la birthday 004.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  135.2 KB
    Windchime, I have made a couple from odd scrapes.
    I'm sorry, I forgot to flip it before and now I can't figure out how:eek: Please ignore the dead plant, it died a miserable death and I forgot about it.
    Name:  la la birthday 008.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  83.3 KB
    Fan pull:)
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 05:03 PM

Dahlia,
    Nice collection.
    Are those bottles/jars filled with all edible things?

Love your fan pull,gives me an idea, I need a fan pull.Think I am being inspired to make something like yours.:)

Oct 12, 2009, 05:09 PM

Hey, let's second that on the fan pull. Great idea!
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever View Post
    Dahlia,
    Nice collection.
    Are those bottles/jars filled with all edible things?

Yes, all edible..
    Chicken and beef stock, pickled beets, pickled dill asparagus and green beans, Grannys corn, chutney and jams.

I'll be making regular green beans in the next couple weeks (maybe) if I find the time.:rolleyes:
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 05:23 PM

The pickles sounds yummy. :)

Look forward to seeing more crafts.

Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 05:33 PM
    Haven't been doing much craft work lately, but looking around for ideas. Here are some I found interesting.

Amazing craft works.
    Flickr: The CRAFT Pool
    crafty fun! - a set on Flickr

Gift in a Jar Recipes, Jar Recipes, Jar Mixes

Easy Homemade Crafts and Gifts

Candle Making, Candle Crafts, Candle Safety

MayaLocke Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Oct 19, 2009, 02:09 PM

There are a bunch of Craft Ideas and directions here:

Craft Kits - Craft Kits

Other ideas are to make pet treats

Dog Treat Recipes - Dog Treats and Dog Remedies

Or if you are into organic these are directions for organic recipes that could be a great craft.

Organic Recipes - Organic Items

Have fun!
    HTH
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 02:14 PM
    So, what about some crafts that members have done, please? I realize that we might not have the "pool" of members here like we used to, that might be actively involved in that sort of thing.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 12:42 AM
    Originally posted by Just Dahlia

What am I? Chopped liver?
    Your stuff is great, Just Dahlia!

I'm just trying to find others on this site with "like" minds. The Art and Crafts sections of this site used to be really "alive" a couple of years ago. Some of those people that participated have now moved on... Some of us also really miss the way that things used to be in those forum topic areas.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2009, 04:54 PM
    So, anymore takers and sharers here, please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2009, 09:25 PM
    It's Winter now, things will be coming up really quickly... Hopefully:)
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2009, 09:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    It's Winter now, things will be coming up really quickly...Hopefully:)
    I hope so, too! :)

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

$10,000 gift. Want to make it grow. I am 27 yrs. [ 3 Answers ]

OK my question is how I can make the most of the money I have. $ I have 10G and I would like to invest it for long term. The saving I have now they have cd raging from 3.75. For 6 months to 4.00 for up to 60 months. I mean I know that once I have it locked in a c.d. I will be locked in that one...

Gift Giving for a Destination Wedding [ 24 Answers ]

My husband and I are attending a destination wedding that is going to cost the two of us a total of $1100 just to be in attendance for our friends nuptials. That amount includes only airfare, hotel and a rental car. We will still have further expenses throughout our 4 day stay. Is it...

Family gift giving [ 3 Answers ]

My lovely sister-in-law suggested giving a money tree to my parents as a gift for their 50th wedding anniversary. This would be a gift given by three siblings and the grandchildren. What is a proper amount to give for such an occasion. p.s. only one sibling is helping financially pay for the...

View more questions Search