Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2009, 07:10 AM

Oh wow, I just found this thread, I'll have to take photos of my crafty creations and post them tomorrow :D

Lots of great ideas on here!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2009, 03:18 PM
    Thanks, shazamataz!

That would be wonderful! :)
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2009, 10:33 AM
    I did not get too far this year with any creations but graham cracker ginger bread houses with 7 kids:) But, I love seeing all of your ideas you guys!
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2009, 03:09 PM
    The houses my kids and their cousins made:)
    Attached Images

Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2009, 09:11 PM
    Those look great Start! I bet it was lots of fun and sloppy:D
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2009, 10:44 PM

Those are cool, starty!

What an excellent project for kids! :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2009, 08:16 AM
    Thanks! It was great and I learned that by cooking sugar, you can use it for glue before the kids get real frustrated that the house pieces won't sty put! We had great fun!
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2009, 03:43 AM
    How does one cook sugar, please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2009, 07:15 PM
    All you do is get out your nonstick frying pan add sugar on low till kind of melted then put edges of graham crackers on it then stick the two together... and then you have pre-made houses that the kids can decorate without the sides sliding around as you try to add everything! Found it in a magazine and it worked great!!
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2009, 10:43 PM
    Thanks for the explanation, starty!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 28, 2009, 12:13 AM

I just found this.

Here are a few pictures of the tables I make;

Name:  Halloween 048.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  56.5 KB

Name:  Halloween 051.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  Halloween 050.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  67.7 KB
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2009, 12:19 AM
    Great stuff there, Alty!

What do you use to cut and form the wood, please?

Thanks!
    Pets Expert

Dec 28, 2009, 12:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Great stuff there, Alty!

What do you use to cut and form the wood, please?

Thanks!
    I have a lot of tools Clough. The tool I love the most is my mitre saw.

As for forming, there's nothing. I cut the desired lengths, decide how I'm going to put them together (the table shown is put together with dowling), router (if that's that look I want), sand, stain and top coat. Voilą. :)

Each design is drawn out, the lengths measured, everything decided before I ever cut a single peace.

The ones shown are made of oak. The big one was a birthday present for a friend and the little one went to Jared's teacher as a year end present.
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2009, 12:28 AM
    No using of a router? That would seemed needed to round or chamfer edges.

Thanks!
    Pets Expert

Dec 28, 2009, 12:33 AM

Clough, you missed it.

As for forming, there's nothing. I cut the desired lengths, decide how I'm going to put them together (the table shown is put together with dowling), router (if that's that look I want), sand, stain and top coat. Voilą.
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2009, 12:36 AM
    Oh, you're correct about that! I'm sorry that I missed it!

You're very handy!

I'm very interested in what you use as a stain and finish on anything that you do, please?

Thanks!
    Pets Expert

Dec 28, 2009, 12:45 AM

I like water based stain and finish.

I do have to say that the best finish I ever got was not a water based. It was a finish my husband had bought for a project he was doing. The finish I got was great but I hate to use a product that leaves you feeling light headed and actually eats away at the brush! :eek:

I love the mahogany look. It's not easy to get the exact look, it really depends on the wood. The oak (because it's a hard wood) doesn't take the stain as well as, say, pine. But, the oak is more even then the pine.

I really like cedar. I don't usually stain it, just put a coat of finish on the top, leave the bottom so that you can still smell the cedar. Ahhh. :)

My husband bought me a specialty wood a while back. I believe it was called "purple heart" but I'd have to ask him to make sure. It's red. It's a hard wood and sanding it took almost a week. I have cut the pieces but I've never put them together. I'm afraid that it won't turn out the way I want it to and I know I'll never have the money to buy that wood again.

Maybe this year I'll finally do it. ;)
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2009, 12:50 AM
    Do you have a compressor?

Thanks!
    Pets Expert

Dec 28, 2009, 01:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Do you have a compressor?

Thanks!
    I wish!

I work in my garage, not a lot of room.

I use my dads old table saw (when the wood is too big for the mitre saw). I have a mitre saw, a new band saw (last years Christmas present), a small lathe (love it!) a planer (that was also a Christmas present) a band sander, a regular rotating sander, router, and a few other things.

I have to improvise a lot. It would be a lot easier if I had all the tools I need, but I make do with what I have.

I don't only make tables, I make toys, key boxes, jewelry boxes, you name it. If it's made of wood and smaller then my garage, I can make it. ;)

It all started a few years back. My friend had this beautiful key box that she had bought at a craft sale. I really wanted one, but at over $200 I wasn't going to buy it. So I decided to make my own. I had never used a tool in all my life (my dad was very strict about that. Girls don't mow the lawn or use tools. Become a doctor, fine, but tools, that's a guy thing).

So I went home, told hubby what I wanted to make, told him I wanted to make it, got some wood, asked for some help with the tools and then put together the ugliest, most uneven, not at all functional key box in all creation!

I could have given up right then and there, but I was determined to make it. So I tried again. This time I didn't wing it, I measured, I drew out my plans, I took my time and voilą, I had a great key box.

I made dozens of them, for friends, family, presents. They're always well received and by now I could make one with my eyes closed.

So I expanded. I wanted an end table, a very specific design, not laminated, 100% wood. I couldn't find one. Most designer furniture is laminated, and expensive!

So I made it. It's still in my living room today. Sadly the puppy liked a bit too much, chewed one of the edges. He's earned his name, that's for sure.

I'd love to make this a business but, like the purple heart wood, I'm afraid.
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2009, 01:25 AM
    Hey, Alty!

What you've posted is incredibly detailed and very intereting!

But, I'm still interested in, is the staining and applying a finish process that you do.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

$10,000 gift. Want to make it grow. I am 27 yrs. [ 3 Answers ]

OK my question is how I can make the most of the money I have. $ I have 10G and I would like to invest it for long term. The saving I have now they have cd raging from 3.75. For 6 months to 4.00 for up to 60 months. I mean I know that once I have it locked in a c.d. I will be locked in that one...

Gift Giving for a Destination Wedding [ 24 Answers ]

My husband and I are attending a destination wedding that is going to cost the two of us a total of $1100 just to be in attendance for our friends nuptials. That amount includes only airfare, hotel and a rental car. We will still have further expenses throughout our 4 day stay. Is it...

Family gift giving [ 3 Answers ]

My lovely sister-in-law suggested giving a money tree to my parents as a gift for their 50th wedding anniversary. This would be a gift given by three siblings and the grandchildren. What is a proper amount to give for such an occasion. p.s. only one sibling is helping financially pay for the...

View more questions Search