Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bella926 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 05:46 PM
    Connecting two wires from light kit pull chain switch 2 wire to light kit for fan
    I would like advise on how to attach the two black wires on the light kit pull chain switch to the light kit on the ceiling fan. I see there are two unattached wires on the light kit, one is black and the other is white. Are these the correct wires to attach the pull chain to? If so, how do I attach them? Do I twist the loose wires on the light kit to the black wires on the light kit pull chain? This may sound stupid, but this is the first time I will be doing this and I need guidance.

Thank you for your assistance.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 7, 2009, 06:35 PM

One black from the witch goes to your incoming black hot wire. The other switch black goes to the black of the light kit. The light kit white does not touch the swicth at all but goes directly to your incoming neutral. The switch just interrupts the black feed

Oct 7, 2009, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    One black from the witch goes to your incoming black hot wire. The other switch black goes to the black of the light kit. The light kit white does not touch the swicth at all but goes directly to your incoming neutral. The switch just interrupts the black feed
    Thank you very much for your quick reply. However, this is too technical for me. I have never done anything before with wires. Do not know what witch or hot wire means. I really need step-by-step instructions. I would hire a handyman if I could afford it.

Oct 7, 2009, 06:56 PM

Black is hot, carrying the current. White is the neutral wire. Your fan should have a least two wires coming out of the bottom for a light kit, should be blue and white but in your case you say black and white. The black coming out of the fan goes to either of the blacks on the switch, then connect the remaining switch black to the black coming out of the light kit. Final step, connect the white from the fan's bottom to the white from the light.

Oct 7, 2009, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Black is hot, carrying the current. White is the neutral wire. Your fan should have a least two wires coming out of the bottom for a light kit, should be blue and white but in your case you say black and white. The black coming out of the fan goes to either of the blacks on the switch, then connect the remaining switch black to the black coming out of the light kit. Final step, connect the white from the fan's bottom to the white from the light.
    Thank you for the information and you patience. All of the wires coming from the fan portion have small caps over them, except for the blue wire that just shocked me when the cap came off. I do not see any that need to be attched. Should I unravel the wires to find the white wire?

Also, when you say connect, what do you mean? Should I twist the wires together? The light switch has a portion of the wire without black covering, then a cover portion. Do I twist the wire around this unprotected spot? I apologize for my ignorance.

Oct 8, 2009, 02:18 PM

Ok so you are trying to work on this while the power is stillon. Please stop and try to get a neighbor or friend to help you but you must shut off the power at the wall switch or breaker first.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2009, 12:54 PM

What are you trying to fix? Are you replacing a broken pullchain, or trying to add one where none existed?

Ceiling fan pullchain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New pull chain switch for ceiling fan light [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I just purchased a new pull chain switch for my ceiling fan light. The lead wires coming down are white and blue. The wires on the new switch are black, blue and red. Normally these are simple installs but I need help on how to wire these due to the different colors. Thanks!

Ceiling fan pull chain switch with 6 wires [ 3 Answers ]

Our ceiling fan switch clicks but the fan does not go on. When I opened the housing, I saw that there was 6 wires, 2 of which were white. One of the white wire was not connected, it could have caused the fan to stop working (?). I do not know where this white wire should be connected to as all...

Replace chain pull from light on light/fan fixture [ 2 Answers ]

I pulled the chain out of its housing that controls only the light on my kitchen light/fan fixture. I went to a hardware store and the clerk sold me a little fixture with three wires, pink, white and black. When I took my fixture apart, I found my fixture has a two wire little round thing where...

My ceiling fan pull chain switch for the light [ 1 Answers ]

My chain broke off in the switch, it has an L 1 2 3 on the switch with 3 wires, #1 is a blue wire, #2 is a black wire and #3 is a red wire. I don't know what the numbers mean, unless it's a 3-way switch for 3-way bulbs, I don't care about the 3-way stuff, I just want off & on. Our local Wal Mart...

Pull chain switch on ceiling fan w/light [ 1 Answers ]

At one time a manufacturer made a helper lever to turn on a light on this kind of light but cannot seem to find it. It fitted right on the switch with an extension so it could be pulled on and would retract into the swith with out hanging up. Anyone lknow of this ltype of helper?

View more questions Search