Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    russharv63 Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 12:12 PM
    Why is liquid waste backing up in my dishwasher when I use my garbage disposal?
    I live in a two bedroom apartment. When I use my garbage disposal liquid waste backs up in my automatic dishwasher. What is causing this and how can I fix it?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 7, 2009, 08:52 PM

Because you do not have an air gap or a high loop in the dishwasher drain hose. Suggest that you secure the drain hose to the underside of the counter top as shown below.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a garbage disposal with a dishwasher [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing a garbage disposal and the dishwasher hook up on the garbage disposal is the same size as the dishwasher hose. What is the best way to connect these?

Garbage Disposal waste backing up in showers [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a 1964 Ranch house. My husband spent the weekend installing a Garbage Disposal in our Kitchen. Today (24 hours after install) the Garbage Disposal food waste is backing up into both of our showers.....The bathroom and kitchen sinks drain fine. It appears that maybe one of the...

Dishwasher and Garbage Disposal [ 13 Answers ]

I am about to install a new dishwasher and garbage disposal. All of the instructions I can find on the internet indicate that the waste hose from the dishwasher attaches to the garbage disposal, and that the waste hose from the garbage disposal then attaches to the house's waste drainage...

Garbage disposal makes opposite side sink drain bubble up waste [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn on my garbage disposal, the opposite side sink drain bubbles up waste. Is this a plumbing problem or disposal issue and how can I fix it?

Water Backing into Shower/Garbage Disposal! [ 3 Answers ]

I noticed the other day that when running my dishwasher, the gargage disposal overflowed with water. And last night, while running the laundry machine, my 2 showers had water rising out of the drain and the water in my 3 toilets started to "bubble" and the water level went down. Our house is 2...

View more questions Search