Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rose246 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 06:16 AM
    Do you think it's a bad idea to drop out of college?
    I don't think that college is for everyone.I mean,I don't hate learning new things,but I love to learn new languages.and I wanted to drop out of college and study some new langauges in an instutation.but,my parents keep telling me that I won't be able to find good career with an instutation's degree.and that only a college degree will help me become a translator(it's what I would like to be).
    So,what do you think?and please answer me,I'm so confused.thanx
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 7, 2009, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rose246 View Post
    i dont think that college is for everyone.
    Me neither.

Quote Originally Posted by rose246 View Post
    so,what do you think?
    I think that having a degree significantly reduces the amount of work you have to do to convince a prospective employer to hire you. It is possible to write your own ticket, but the actual work required and the challenges that are encountered are much greater. If you can suffer through a few years of college and obtain a degree, any degree, it certainly isn't going to harm your employment prospects.

P.S. instutation? Thinking it a linguistics specific term I did some digging and could not find a reference to this word. So, even if you decide to leave college, please improve your writing and grammar skills. Nothing kills what would be an otherwise impressive resume or business letter quicker than informal writing and spelling errors. You will be perceived by all the information that you provide to someone while they are forming an opinion of you for hiring purposes, both direct and indirect, regardless of whether it is fair or accurate.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 01:53 AM
    Hi, rose246!

You know something? I think that Scleros is exactly correct, here!

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 13, 2009, 02:11 AM

College is not for everyone, but many careers require that you go to college.
    While it is possible to do this career without one, normally the pay will be less, your promotion chances are less and you will have to prove yourself more and more to find a job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get my parents to support my idea of moving away for college [ 1 Answers ]

Well this topic sort of goes both for school & getting my parents to be proud of me & support me on moving away so I can go to college. I'm not really worried about what my father has to say in this but I am concerned about my mothers reaction. I have tried plenty of times to get my mom to...

Free college for everyone. Bad idea? [ 179 Answers ]

I heard Obama say that he wants to provide free college to every American. I think it's a terrible idea. He would spend gadzillions of our money, and when everyone has a college degree, those grads will be flippin burgers and hanging onto garbage trucks. We will have come full circle and wasted who...

Should I drop out of a 2 year college and go to a 4 year college instead? [ 6 Answers ]

Ok last September I attended a two year college for one semester and I took a semester off due to financial difficulties. I was suppose to start school next week and I don't think I can make it. I told my friend and family I would go back to school this sept, I don't think that's going to happen...

I have no idea what monetary gift is norm for me to give to my niece for college grad [ 2 Answers ]

I am close to my niece, and I have no idea what is considered"average" for a college graduation monetary gift

Rerouting pipes in 12 unit condo building? Good idea or bad idea [ 2 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to reroute pipes for a 12 unit building rather then take the chance of digging up concrete parking lot and plumber not finding where break in clay pipe is? If there is a break in the pipe at all how can you put a liner in if you can't see?? I personally think the plumber is lying...

View more questions Search