Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Golden_Boy Posts: 330, Reputation: 6

Oct 7, 2009, 01:33 AM
    What houseplants do you have best success with?
    I would like to increase my collection a bit. They help humidify the dry, artificially heated air in the winters indoors. Here's what I have grown for years and years in my house and do quite well:

Ficus benjamina variegata
    Monstera deliciosa albo-variegata
    Marble pothos
    Peace lily
    Inverse spider plant
    Bamboo palm
    Kentia palm
    Variegated rhapis
    Broadleaf cultivar chinese evergreen
    Dwarf banana
    Tricolor dracaena marginata
    Corn plant (the trunks were rotting so I re-started all the shoots at ground level)
    Lucky bamboo galore! :p

I love polishing the leaves with that miracle gro spray stuff and sitting them in gold or brass color planters.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2009, 01:38 AM
    Hi, Golden_Boy!

Do you have plenty of sun, warmth and air circulation for any plants that you might have, please?

Thanks!

Oct 7, 2009, 01:50 AM

Hi Clough!

No, unfortunately I live in a cape-cod style home, with average size windows, so my lighting is low-medium at best.

So yeah any recommendations would have to be limited to low light I guess.

Air circ is very good and warmth is temperate, on the cool side (can get down to 60s in the winter because I keep thermostat set low)..

And in the summer, on the bright side, I usually put all plants out in the shade.

Which is kind of why Imt posting today, because I brought all the houseplants back inside last niight from their summer vacation outdoors :)

Thanks in advance!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2009, 02:17 AM
    Hi again, Golden_Boy!

When I lived in an old farmhouse, I used to have wonderful houseplants! Not that way where I presently live. Not much light and it can get very cold here! I have had success with pothos varieties and jade-types of plants, though. Don't know the exact names for them.

Have thought about getting cuttings from neighbors and close friends to get my indoor garden stuff going again.

Do you have a place or places where you can put the appropriate types of lighting on plants, please?

Thanks!
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Oct 7, 2009, 03:02 PM
    Hi GB,

Have the same problem (cape cod). You do have three good ones on your list.
    • Marble pothos
    • Inverse spider plant
    • Tricolor dracaena marginata

And Clough is on the right track with pothos varieties and jade-types.

Here's a few sites to explore...

Excellent Site, has large list at bottom. Stay with 3's or 4's in the first column ( L )
    Growing Indoor Plants with Success

Short list:
    The Best Houseplants for Beginners-lowes

This one uses foot candles:
    Interior Plantscaping with Large Houseplants

That gives me an idea... Do you have a friend that's into photography? Or rent a light meter to take readings in your house, then you'll know for sure. ;)

FREE Illumination Conversion Table

K

Oct 7, 2009, 06:40 PM

Thanks Cough, and Kux!
    A farmhouse! I see... I'm in similar situation, because at my previous house I built a greenhouse but when I left, I had to leave it behind :(

Well actually all on the list, I have had them for years and years and they do fine despite the cold, gloomy NYC winters indoors!

They spend all summer outdoors. The Variegated raphis hasn't grown much at all but I guess that's normal for that type..

I almost forgot, I have one lovely Variegated Cast Iron somewhere out there I will bring that in tomorrow.

Thx for the links Jux and Clough that's awesome you can mingle with the neighbors and get some cuttings!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Houseplants [ 3 Answers ]

I was told when the leaves of your house plants turn black on the tips it means that you either have water too much or not enough. I would like to know which one is true. Thanks.

Houseplants and frost [ 2 Answers ]

We had our first frost last night. I have had my house plants outside since early spring, and didn't even think about them and the frost. They are sitting right next to the house and there is a tree overhead. I'm wondering if they are going to be all right...

Cat and houseplants [ 3 Answers ]

We have just brought our houseplants back inside from them being outside all summer. Our youngest cat (11 months old) likes to get in the planters and play in the soil tossing it out onto the floor. Any suggestions on what we can do to keep her out?

Cats chewing on houseplants [ 2 Answers ]

What can I do to keep my cat from chewing on real and artificial houseplants?

Houseplants [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a plant,"Ivy Starling",I followed the light and water instructions and for the first few months it was lovely. Then some of the stems started drying up . I had treated it for aphids and it did not seem to hurt it. When it started dying,I repoted with fresh soil and a clean pot. It seemed...

View more questions Search