Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lady althea Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 11:11 PM
    My three year old won't speak
    Hi
    My son just turned three, he can say the alphabet and count to ten, but not clearly.
    The real problen is he won't make sentence, would he be classified as dumb( that is unable to speak) he understands when I speak and plays well with other children, he had an ear infection but I didn't know because he didn't cry from pain. He normally gets what he wanted, it's like I could read his mind, does this have anything to do with him not talking? Will my baby speak?
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2009, 11:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lady althea View Post
    hi
    my son just turned three, he can say the alphabet and count to ten, but not clearly.
    the real problen is he won't make sentence, would he be classified as dumb( that is unable to speak) he understands when i speak and plays well with other children, he had an ear infection but i didn't know because he didn't cry from pain. he normally gets what he wanted, it's like i could read his mind, does this have anything to do with him not talking? will my baby speak?
    He is not unable to speak,as evidenced by him saying the alphabet.
    If you are concerned about his hearing,have his doctor order a hearing test.

Play with him and read books together.
    Get age appropriate books and point out pictures and ask him to repeat what you say.
    Point to dog and say dog and reward him when he does repeat you.Say good job!

Do not give in to his demands for things he wants but encourage him to ask for it.
    His understanding at three is well above his ability to express.He knows what you are saying.
    If he wants a cookie say cookie and ask him to say cookie ,when he goes give him the cookie.Give him praise for speaking.
    The key word is Encourage and do not try to force.
    lady althea Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 11:31 PM
    His speech
    Thanks for responding so quickly.
    So should I be worried in any way about him being three and not talking? I had planned to take him in for testing do you think that's necessary? What about making a sentence? Should I send him to pre school? Do you think anything is wrong with him? I'm so worried.
    My heart breaks when he cries, I worry when I have to leave him in the care of others, could I be holding him back? What should I do?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2009, 11:56 PM
    Hi, lady althea!

I've requested that your response to artlady by starting a new thread at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/early-...ch-403463.html be combined with this one.

This isn't a chat room. Please keep your responses on this one thread. Starting new threads about the same thing only makes things confusing here.

Thanks!
    Motherofmany Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Oct 26, 2009, 09:08 AM
    Let me start by saying all children learn in a different way, he would not be classified as dumb. Contact your school district and request to have your child evaluated for a speech , language & hearing ,Because your child is only three early intervention services would benefit him. Also early services do not follow your child when he starts kindergarten!
    septemberlove Posts: 30, Reputation: 11

Jul 11, 2010, 03:18 PM
    I would be concerned enough to work with your son on a daily basis, and have him tested. However, don't freak out! Every child is different, and will learn at their own pace.

This could be a speech therapy issue, or a hearing issue. Get him tested, and go from there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A 20 year old son who won't speak to me [ 11 Answers ]

I was a young single mother, I have 3 boys 20, 17 and 10. They are my life. I sacrifced so much for them and love them very much. Recently I have had a lot of problems, I am losing my house to foreclosure and money is tight. My 20 year old is in college and works, but I pay his car insurance...

My 7 year old brother can't speak [ 8 Answers ]

I am fourteen and my brother is seven. Me and my sister are what people say "normal" because we don't have any learning difficulties and live a perfectly "normal" life. My brother on the other hand has autism and he still cannot speak. I have tried everything I can to help him learn but he just...

3 year old son who doesn't speak [ 27 Answers ]

I have a son that will be turning three on 4/23. He doesn't speak that much. He says words like "stop", "ouch", "bye-bye", and "thank you". He can count to ten and he tries to say his ABC's. However these words are not that clear. If you don't really know him, you wouldn't understand what he...

3 Year Old Son Does Not Speak! [ 21 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 3 1/2 year old son, and he still does not speak. He says "no", "dop" (for stop). And "ow". Nothing else. He has never said mama or daddy or anything else. He understands everything we say to him. He follows instructions (i.e. "put it on the table" or "throw it in the trash"), but he...

My 3 year old will not speak! [ 12 Answers ]

She is not autistic, she comprehends complex sentences, and she does use some words... but only those few! My theory is that she figures that since those few words, plus some gestures etc, get her what she wants, she doesn't feel the urge to say anything more. But, I'm not sure if that's the...

View more questions Search