Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    g4galang Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 04:30 PM
    Renters rights when Short Sale has been approved by Bank
    Advised by RE Agent on 9/28 that Bank approved offer with a 30 day escrow. Received a letter yesterday from the RE Agent stating we need to vacate by 10/15/09 and they will be changing locks. Can they do this? What are my rights and is there any way our stay here can be extended for another month? Is Cash for Keys an option? Who is responsible for making sure we are out? The current owner or the new buyer once escrow closes? We are on a month to month lease but are not in a position to move out by then. Won't be ready until mid or late November.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 6, 2009, 04:36 PM

You are on a month to month rental, so assuming your rent is up to date and you have not violated some other term of your rental, they have to give you a 30 day notice, any other "lock out" would be illegal.

And if you don't move then, they have to file in court for an official eviction.

Tell the real estate agent your rental term is not over and if they change they locks to please provide you a set of kesy since you are the renter.

Also you may wish to contact the broker that the agent works for and ask them if it is common procedure to violate the law on eviction
    g4galang Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    you are on a month to month rental, so assuming your rent is up to date and you have not violated some other term of your rental, they have to give you a 30 day notice, any other "lock out" would be illegal.

And if you don't move then, they have to file in court for an official eviction.

Tell the real estate agent your rental term is not over and if they change they locks to please provide you a set of kesy since you are the renter.

also you may wish to contact the broker that the agent works for and ask them if it is common procedure to violate the law on eviction
    -- our month to month is verbal. The current owners are my grandparents. That said, do they, the RE Agent, still have to give us a 30 day notice? Will my grandparents be involved?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant rights during short sale [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I live in a condo in Miami, FL. I have a one year lease with 8mths outstanding. The bank would not renew my landlord's mortgage and are threatening foreclosure. He's opting for a short sale and has told me that I can break my lease with 2mths notice or stay and ride out the short sale process....

Renters rights in a short sale [ 1 Answers ]

The home I'm renting is in short sale and my land lord has faild to let me know that as a renter what do I do from here on out I'ved had four different realestate agents see the house with a very short notice sometimes they would call that same day

Renters in Short Sale of Property [ 2 Answers ]

We are realtors in Tampa Area and have a few homes listed for Short Sale that are tenant occupied. And we need to know what the Law actually states about the tenants rights and the validity of the lease. We were able to find information if the home is foreclosed on, but nothing addressing the short...

Renters Rights when the home is up for sale. [ 6 Answers ]

I moved into a house about a year ago. Earlier this year, the landlord put the house back on the market. At the time, we had agreed to a 24-hour notice before anyone came by to see or show the house. We have had about 20 people come to the house so far... and about two 24-hour notices. First...

View more questions Search