Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Nov 1, 2006, 07:39 PM
    Quick way to beat a cold
    Hello:

Boy Ive been ill since Sunday, Im finally starting to get over it to the point where In not having fevers and cold chills. The runny nose, and cough are still there though.

I was just wondering, what is the best way to get over a common cold without going to a doctor. Any successful home remedies. I feel Im about over this now, but I woult have been nice to have this licked on Monday.

It just seems like every October I get a horrible cold. One year I had no insurance and didn't go to the doctor, that was the time I ran a 104.9 degree temp. Boy did that stink.
    Just doctored it on the sofa, took about a week to clear up.

Next October, same thing, I did go to the doctor, he said I had an ear infection and perscripbed antibiotics. The cold still took a week to clear up though. It would have cleared up in a week anyway. And my ears didn't even hurt. See my point?

If this is going to be an annual thing for me, Id like to explore ways to at least shave days off this misery. I don't care what the tough guys say, when you have to work in a walk in freezer sick, you are just plain MISERABLE!

Ideas? Thought? I seem to get these colds about 4 times per year. One in each season. I'll have another in February, then June, then August, then October, you can set your watch to it.

BTW Ive been told that taking a fever reducer can actually prolong a cold because the immune system works better at high body temps, and this is why you go into fever, because your body is fighting an infection. But boy, knocking the fever sure helps a body feel better temporarilly.
    puppetkicks Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2006, 02:11 AM
    Alkaseltzer works really well for a cold and if you don't like the taste they just came out with the liquid pill form. It allways works for me.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 2, 2006, 02:31 AM
    Getting a little extra vitamin C and zinc in your diet will probably be beneficial as well. Echinacea could help, but is generally considered more of a preventative measure.
    imation Posts: 284, Reputation: 36

Nov 2, 2006, 02:31 AM
    Take 1000mg (2 tablets) of vitamin C every hour until u get diarrhea then your cold will be gone and the diarrhea will be gone short;y after... believe me it works:)
    Marisol1340 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2010, 05:34 PM
    Please forgive me Imation, but that is ridiculous! Do you know how bad that is for your body? Too much of anything can have serious negative effects on your body, hense giving you diarrhea. Of course you want to get addition vitamin C, but damn! That's crazy! The best way to get over it is to get a lot of nutrients through the way of food and beverage, drink tons of fluids (mainly water because that's what your body is mostly made of) and stay your *** in bed! I have also found things like zicam to be effective.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need help quick! [ 10 Answers ]

ok I need help I just got a 3 month old pitbull 2 day and her name is Bookie and she wouldn't eat or drink anything the whole day 2 day also she's been throwing up all day and sh'e kinda weak does that mean she has parvo

Could someone help me think of this song name? It's techno and the beat goes... [ 3 Answers ]

Dododododo do do dodododo really fast.. or Dunnnananan do do Dunnnananan do do DunnnanananDunnnanananDunnnanananDunnnananan someone please help!

Beat the amortization [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, my 10th grd math teacher asked us to write a paper about beating the amortizations on debt... but all I have been able to come up with is the meaning of it... and several amortization calculators, but these aren't telling me what I need. Does anyone know any thing about this?? :confused:

Need Help Quick [ 7 Answers ]

I live in Virginia and have a bi-polar daughter who will be 18 on Sunday. She has been abusive to me for years and I need her to leave my house, once she is 18. She is refusing. How can I legally make her leave my house? I am desperate.

Timing belt on a Civic 91 - beat this! [ 4 Answers ]

I just found out my Dad nor my brother ever changed a timing belt on my Honda Civic 91 DX (well, I call it "my honda", but I just got it from my brother about 2 weeks ago), and right now the car has a bit over 145k miles on it! I'm afraid to start the car now. By the way, how much do you guys...

View more questions Search