Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pink_panther Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 07:34 PM
    3 mo old still trying to nurse
    Hello,
    I am hoping that somebody can help me. I recently rescued a 2 month old kitten from the pound. I don’t know if he was orphaned, or how long he spent with his mom (but he did have brothers at the pound). He tries to nurse on me (my arm, neck, back), and he tries to nurse from a really soft blanket I have. We have had him for close to a month now, and he literally wakes me up in the middle of the night sucking on this blanket (or my arm). My vet told me to mix milk in with his food, which I have been doing since we got him, but he stills try to nurse. Does anyone have some suggestions of how I can get him to stop trying to nurse, without being mean?
    tre_cani Posts: 117, Reputation: 22

Nov 1, 2006, 10:21 PM
    I am by no means, an expert on this, but I can tell you that my male cat is 8 years old and has been licking and sucking on blankets, clothing and anything that doesn't move for his entire life. He 'kneads' the blanket for a few minutes and then starts 'nursing' on it. It only lasts for a few minutes and then he falls asleep.

He was orphaned at about 5 weeks. We assume that's the cause, though we've never bothered to investigate. He's just a very affectionate guy!

By the way, I wouldn't recommend giving cats regular milk, as it may cause diarrhea. Cats don't have the enzyme that breaks down the lactose in milk. Though some cats can tolerate it with no problem. Try the lactose-free milk available at most groceries.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Nov 2, 2006, 03:50 PM
    Many times young kittens that were taken away from mom didn't get all that they needed emotionally. Most folks don't know this but kittens should stay with mom until around 12wks old.
    I would recommend letting the kitten suckle on a baby bottle. The type that you would get with the kitten replacement formula for a couple of weeks.
    Otherwise you may just have a kitty like Tre_cani's, which isn't bad at all!
    NatashasMum Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2007, 08:35 PM
    My female cat is 5 years old and she still kneeds and suckles on my blanket at night while I pet her. It could be a combination of things. One is being removed from mom too early. Another is just a way of shoing affection and how much they love you.
    dawnskye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2011, 07:50 PM
    Our newest baby,a sweet, mostly white, calico girl named Chevre, is about 2 months old and just got her 2 weeks ago. Shelter said she is 3 months vet disagrees. She is nursing on every part of my clothing and my fiancée too. No big deal, I have two adults that went through it and they grew out of it but still like to "make busciuts" from time to time. I say as long as she is not destructive, live and let live

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long can mother cat nurse kittens [ 6 Answers ]

Could someone please tell me how long a mother cat can nurse kittens. I am feeding a feral cat, and she has had kittens 5 or 6 weeks ago I think. I give her good quality and variety of cat food, and I have also been putting kitten food in the dishes in case the kittens are now able to eat by...

My cat won't nurse [ 1 Answers ]

:( my cat won't feed her babie. Not only that, every time they cry she comes to me. What the hell do I do:mad: . Srry for the language:(

Student Nurse [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm a student nurse coming up to the end of my first year. Im quite worried as I think I may have a phobia or some kind of anxiety towards veins. I know that it is not just needles or blood as I can give IM injections, removed cannulas and have dealt with blood... it is just the thought...

Momma cat won't nurse kittens... [ 1 Answers ]

One of my cats had kittens, and she won't feed them. We just discovered them today, and we figure she had them either early yesterday or late the night before. So, they've been at least 24 hours without food. Our other mama kitty is keeping them clean, but she won't feed them. There were 5 kittens,...

View more questions Search