Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doddares Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 01:45 PM
    Pulpotomy on primary tooth
    Pulpotomy,

If I don't have formocresol and only have CaoH... what are the steps for pulpotomy for a primary tooth and is t contra-indicated to use CaOH rather then formocresol.

I plan to place caoh and the stumps followed a cotton pellet and fuji on top.

Can I stop the bleeding from the pulp with cotton pellet and hydrogen peroxide.

Any help appreciated
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Oct 6, 2009, 02:38 PM

Well you can use Ferric sulfate... remove the coronal pulp, stop bleeding with ferric sulfate... the place CaOH and IRM (ZOE) that's the way I've done it anyway

Oct 7, 2009, 07:02 AM
    Hey Amir,

Thanks for the advice... whats the theory behind using ZOE or were u just taught that ? Do u know if I can use GIC fuji instead on top of the CaOH ?

Cheers
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2009, 08:08 AM
    doddares, are you a dentist? If so, where do you practise?

Oct 7, 2009, 11:29 AM
    Practice in the UK
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2009, 11:58 AM
    How many years have you been in practice? I'm just curious why you'd need to know what is used for pulpotomies. IRM(ZOE) has been used here in Canada for pulpotomies for at least 30 yrs.

Oct 7, 2009, 12:18 PM

I know what is used in pulpotomies but I don't know why certain medication is used and not other.
    I wanted to know if caoh was an advisable alternative to formocresol.
    Also why zoe is placed as the irm. Could for example fuji gic be used instead.
    In my opinion there is no need to keep questioning your knowledge and improving ones theory.
    By the way I've been practicing for a month.

I hope I've answered your queries

Oct 7, 2009, 12:58 PM

Well the idea of the ferric sulfate is to stop bleeding... the CaOH will disinfect the area and stimulate a dentinal bridge (by the remaining radicular pulp).. finally, the ZOE is a pulpal sedative (has eugenol in it) so it will prevent inflammation in the remaining pulp. Plus it's a filler to fill up the cavity so you can prep/place a stainless steel crown (which every pulpotomied posterior tooth should have) I just checked the endo book PATHWAYS OF THE PULP (GREAT book!). It says you don't even need CaOH, just ZOE but that's the way I was taught. Formocresol has fallen out of favor (due to toxicity concerns)

Oct 7, 2009, 12:59 PM
    You could use GIC but id imagine that might seal the area up and prevent the ZOE from providing its therapeutic benefit...

Oct 7, 2009, 01:08 PM
    Cheers amir... great help... I guess ill look up that book.
    PedDentRes11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2010, 09:12 AM
    From what I was taught in dentistry school, CaOH is far inferior to ZOE / IRM in primary teeth due to a higher rate of internal resorption associated with this material postoperatively. Also something regarding failure of material to resorb properly with primary tooth exfoliation. As for hemostatic agents, there are toxicity concerns being placed with formocresol, but they are of minimal to no significance. Ferric sulfate is the new trend in pulpotomy procedures at this point in time, and a lot of pediatric and general dentists are transitioning to this due to the decreased amount of time to obtain hemostasis (15 seconds vs. 5 minutes w/ formo), but research also shows ferric sulfate has a higher rate of internal resorption postoperatively as well. New success in the field has been shown w/ MTA (mineral trioxide aggregate). While it is fairly expensive to purchase from dental suppliers, it is highly effective and is being incorporated more and more every day in the routine care of patients receiving pulp therapy. Hope this is helpful as well for you. I am currently a pediatric dental resident, and am doing my research in this area.
    PedDentRes11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2010, 09:16 AM

Oh yea, and if you want to place Fuji inside the prep after placing a small layer of ZOE or MTA in the root orificies, I believe that would work well prior to placement of your SSC. Not sure how much research has been done in this area though. I will have to find out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth ache in rootcanal tooth? [ 8 Answers ]

In the last 2 days I have this dull pain in my tooth (really high up, in the gums). It only hurts when I walk or bend down. It is not painful when I drink or eat. I had a root canal on this tooth in 2005 and it has a permanent crown on it. I did have a cold a few weeks ago and was wondering if it...

No money to get tooth pulled and a false tooth then needed [ 2 Answers ]

I have a tooth that needs to be pulled and I will need a false tooth. I do not have dental insurance. The tooth will cost about 300.00. Is there dental insurance that I can get that will pay for this procedure now or will I have to wait until I have had the insurance for a while?

Who is Primary [ 1 Answers ]

Is a group insurance policy primary over an individual insurance plan?

Primary election [ 1 Answers ]

A republican party member cannot vote in a primary election for a democratic canidate if the election is a. a closed primary b. an open primary c. a nonpartisan primary

View more questions Search