Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elscarta Posts: 118, Reputation: 20

Oct 6, 2009, 05:48 AM
    Is meditation OK for Christians?
    Some of my Christian friends violently object to any form of meditation, but specifically think that to "Clear one's mind" in meditation is opening yourself up to the influence of Satan.

On the other hand I find that "Clearing my mind" helps me hear what God has to say to me.

What do people think?
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Oct 6, 2009, 06:26 AM
    I don't know the answer to that but I do no that meditation before I play tennis helps my game.

Oct 6, 2009, 06:27 AM

Sorry, know
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 6, 2009, 12:48 PM

I guess it would depend on how one defines "meditation".

Prayer can be a form of meditation. When one is concentrating one's entire self into making a connection between himself and G-d with prayer, and ones entire "intent" is on that prayer, that is a form of meditation.

Meditation has many forms, some religious, some non-religious in their nature.

I happen to meditate as a way of preparing to lead prayer services at my Synagogue. My meditation consists of breathing and trying to make a connection to G-d. I would not be surprised if there were Christians who did the same.

On the other hand, there are Buddhist, Shinto, Zen, and other religious/pseudo-religious forms of meditation that may require a certain mantra to be repeated that may be in direct violation of Christian teachings. These forms of meditation would probably be prohibited.

So again, it depends on what you mean by "meditation".

Elliot
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2009, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by elscarta View Post
    Some of my Christian friends violently object to any form of meditation, but specifically think that to "Clear one's mind" in meditation is opening yourself up to the influence of Satan.

On the other hand I find that "Clearing my mind" helps me hear what God has to say to me.

What do people think?
    I think one of the most annoying things about religion is how it leads people to constantly ask questions like, "Is it okay for me to do XYZ?" It's the perpetual asking for approval of one's conduct from others that is so bothersome. Rules and regulations do not a spiritual experience make.
    elscarta Posts: 118, Reputation: 20

Oct 6, 2009, 07:51 PM

Hi Elliot, as you can see from my original post it is the question of "Clearing one's mind" that I am specifically interested in. I understand that repeating a mantra that is not Christian would certainly be prohibited and have no problem with that.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2009, 10:15 PM
    Hi Elliot, as you can see from my original post it is the question of "Clearing one's mind" that I am specifically interested in. I understand that repeating a mantra that is not Christian would certainly be prohibited and have no problem with that.
    It would be prohibited? Why? Is that all your religious dogma consists of, a set of do's and don'ts?

Oct 7, 2009, 01:49 AM
    Hello cadillac59. I don't want to try and answer for someone else or simplify the issue too much but I think the answer o your question goes back to naturalism and non-naturalism in ethics. With religion there is no if's or but's the standards set are absolute. God's say on the matter is the last word.

With naturalistic ethics there is some room to manoeuver because naturalistic ethics consists of is ought statements. If some fact is the case then we ought to do such and such. Ought implies some degree of choice.

In this regard ethical standards can be seen as absolute or flexible.

This is an oversimplification and I don't want to offend anyone but it may help to see way people see things in this world differently.

Oct 7, 2009, 01:52 AM

Sorry for the typing errors but my connection still keeps dropping out. I am trying type too quickly for may skill level... TUT
    xoxaprilwine Posts: 582, Reputation: 71

Oct 7, 2009, 03:04 PM

What do people think?
    It is clearing your mind. Jesus use to go to the Desert and I think he was there for a while and talk to God? Satan also approached him but Jesus refused his temptation. I don't get it? What would be so wrong to relax?
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Oct 9, 2009, 04:18 PM

As Elliot pointed out, whether meditation is good or bad depends on what you mean.

If you meditate on the Word of God, that is a good thing, as it will make you wiser, for one thing.

If you practice New Age meditation, then you open yourself to evil spirits in the guise of "spirit guides" and that is definitely not something that you want to happen.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 9, 2009, 05:12 PM

I have christian friends who object that I pray with my hands above my head, and other that object that I often kneel when I pray, I have christian friends who object that I use incense in my service. I have christian friends who object that I expect church members to tithe 10 percent. I have church members object that I am OK with an occasional drink, I have christians object that I don't drink enough and not social enough at weddings and parties.

So? Point, if it not what you do as much as the reason behind it, and where God is in all of it
    labiomental Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2009, 06:57 PM
    How come did those friend told that it's not true
    chronix719 Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

Oct 20, 2009, 10:01 AM

You pray to ask for what you want,
    You meditate to find out how to get it...

You don't ask the devine for something, and the devine snapps fingers and it happens, but rather the chance to earn it is given to you,

As a christian, you should be worried for meditating, it is said that jesus meditated, so why shouldn't you. Our lord christ say to follow in his foot steps, one can take that to pray to him, or think ourside your box, and one can think I must trat others the same way as our lord christ, feed the poor that same, pray the same, and yes even meditate the same...

The pope does a fast for 40 days, in order to accomplish that great difficulty, the mine must be fixed on something bigger than the 'self'... in other words you must be in a meditation state to achieve this task... if our lord christ meditated, the pope meditated, then why can't you?. think about it... follow your intuition, there is a reason you feel like meditating, not everything is bad, and not everything is good, people screem the devine's name when they are scared, imagine how much more powerful it is when you are relaxed, and you say the devine's name with love and passion..
    sdebbad Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2010, 03:41 AM

I think the questioner meant, if Mantra Meditation OK as per Christianity..

Can you define Christianity? I would say.. Love for God... the greatest commandment(not suggestion btw) as taught by Jesus.

Do you think by repeating the Names of God, we can achieve love for God? Absolutely...

Names of God and God Himself are one and the same supreme being.

Chanting the name of God or Mantra Meditation upon the Name/Names of God can truly lead to Love for God.

After all, what is the purpose of life, but to find out "Who God Is And to Love Him"

Focus on God not of the label "Christianity"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Meditation [ 1 Answers ]

There was a song in the 60's called "The Meditation". It was played on the air in Philly, but taken off because at the end of the song they said "you make me scream" which sounded like "you make me cream". Can someone tell me who sang it? :)

Weird meditation [ 2 Answers ]

A friend told me that a way to reduce stress is to meditate, so I gave it a try, and it worked out quite well, so everyday for about three to four months I would meditate right after getting home from work, and afterwards I would feel A LOT better, and less stressed. However, recently about five...

Meditation [ 8 Answers ]

OK so lately maybe the last... 8 or so weeks I've been under a lot of stress with all manner of different things and have had anxiety attacks and just cried myself to sleep due to depression and just all the stuff happeing around me.. I think I have coped relatively... badly lol. I don't have any...

View more questions Search