Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kyo_of_Dir_en_grey Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Nov 1, 2006, 05:24 PM
    Traffic jam! Help! Number problems and Equations!
    Ok I will be posting a lot of questions in this thread for the sake of trying not to clutter up the forums... so if you get the stuff I am talking about please stick around and help me out... I would love you forever... :p

Ok so right at the moment I am having trouble with this problem here I am normaly OK at setting them up but I can figure this one out :eek:

A larger number minus a smaller number is 18. The larger number is three times the smaller. Find the numbers.

I am also having trouble as to how to do these kinds of problems all together XD...
    3/4q-7=8

and like...
    c-5/4=3

and las but never least
    h/3-4=13

I am failing math guys ANY help would be luffed!:o
    jham_lindow Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Nov 1, 2006, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyo_of_Dir_en_grey
    Ok I will be posting alot of questions in this thread for the sake of trying not to clutter up the forums....so if you get the stuff I am talking about please stick around and help me out...I would love you forever...:p

Ok so right at the moment I am having trouble with this problem here I am normaly ok at setting them up but I can figure this one out :eek:

I am also having trouble as to how to do these kinds of problems all together XD...
    3/4q-7=8

and like...

and las but never least

Lets start with the number problems.
    3/4q-7=8
    just add 7 to each side
    3/4q=15
    mulitply by 3/4
    and q=11.2

c-5/4=3
    add 5/4 to 3
    c=4 1/4

h/3-4=13
    multiply by 3-4
    h=3(3-4)
    distribute the 3
    h=9-12
    then subtract
    h=-3

now the word problem

A larger number minus a smaller number is 18. The larger number is three times the smaller. Find the numbers.

set it up
    x-y=18 and x=3y
    3y-y=18
    subtract
    2y=18
    divide
    y=9
    x-9=18
    add 9 to each side
    x=27
    small number 9, large number 27
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2006, 08:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyo_of_Dir_en_grey
    Ok I will be posting alot of questions in this thread for the sake of trying not to clutter up the forums....so if you get the stuff I am talking about please stick around and help me out...I would love you forever...:p

Ok so right at the moment I am having trouble with this problem here I am normaly ok at setting them up but I can figure this one out :eek:

3/4q-7=8

and like...
    c-5/4=3

and las but never least
    h/3-4=13

1. Let the numbers be represented by 3x and x. Then, 3x - x = 18 ; 2x = 18 ; x = 9 and 3x = 27 so your numbres are 27 and 9.

2. Do you mean (3/4)q - 7 = 8 or 3/(4q) - 7 = 8? Is the q in the numerator or the denominator? It's hard to tell from the way you typed the question and that'll make a big difference.

3. Same uncertainty here ; did you mean c - (5/4) = 3 or (c - 5)/4 = 3?

4. h/3 - 4 = 13
    h/3 = 17
    h = 51

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Website traffic [ 6 Answers ]

What is the best way to get FAST website traffic without spending a fortune on pay per click?

Traffic Ticket [ 3 Answers ]

Hi,this question involves getting a speeding ticket,and when the officer drove off he did not ask me to sign the ticket,is this ticket a vaiid ticket now,as I have the green copy with out my signauteur on,so there will not be a signature on the white copy,I live in the state of Washington,thank,s

Strawberry jam for diabetics [ 1 Answers ]

My sister has diabetes and I have lots of strawberries, so... does anyone have a recipe for Strawberry jam suitable for diabetics please? Thanks

Traffic light [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to re wire a traffic light and I'm wondering how I get it to switch back and forth between the red green and yellow lights. I don't need them to go in order and I would like about 2 seconds between each light. Any help would be great thanks.:)

Traffic incident [ 7 Answers ]

I recently backed up into a car slightly. I didn't think anything of it so I left. The police arrested me but did not read me my rights and they still handcuffed me and took me to jail. My insurance has lapsed but I know it was my fault. Also, these other people I think are trying to claim they...

View more questions Search