Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KS_remodel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 08:47 PM
    Length of horizontal Waste line
    I am adding a bathroom on the second floor of my home. The question I have is: is there a maximum distance that my horizontal waste line can be from my main waste line, I have proper venting on the second floor through the roof. The problem is the bathroom is on the opposite side of the house from the existing 4" main. I have a strait shot vertically to the basement from the bathroom. The branch wasteline will have to run across about 20 feet of basement to reach the main waste line out to the septic tank. Am I ok as long as the 3" branch is sloped to the 4" main (1/4" per foot)?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 5, 2009, 08:48 PM

No maximum length as long as you maintain the proper slope, 1/4" per foot for 3" and smaller pipes, half that for 4" and larger pipe.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 6, 2009, 03:15 AM
    Hi all:

As Ballengerb1 stated, you should be fine on the distance. Only concerns I have are that you may want to install a DANDY CLEAN OUT at the base of the stack and an END CLEAN OUT at any major changes of direction to the drain line... see images below.

You may also want to install another DANDY CLEAN OUT just before connecting into the main drain line.

These cleanouts come in awfully handy if drain line gets clogged or someone drops something down the drain in the future... ;)

Otherwise, you should be all set!

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Horizontal line above a character [ 15 Answers ]

I want to be able to put a horizontal line above some letters such as "a" or "c" . Does anyone know how to do this? Tks Donna

Length of pipe work to cylinder a waste of energy? [ 1 Answers ]

I am considering either an oil or gas bolier to a Heatrea Sadia cylinder in a direct, unvented plumbing system. If I use oil the burner will be in the garage which will be approx 30m away from the cylinder in the house. If I use gas the boiler can be in the same area as the cylinder within the...

Horizontal Line Bug - Different! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, Ok, I have been dealing with horizontal lines that seem to be embedded in a document. I work in Mac 2008 for Word, but even on the PC versions have not been able to clear this up. The line moves up and down with the text it seems to be anchored to, but I cannot find an anchor. It is...

Length & slope of toilet waste line? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm going to move the toilet in my bathroom but will be about 6' from the main stack. How long can the horizontal waste line be that goes to the main stack and what slope does it need to be at?

Horizontal Line in MS Word 2000 [ 13 Answers ]

How can I remove the Horizontal Line that goes completely across the page? How can I prevent it from happening again? I think there is something about holding down a key and pressing the "=" three times, but I cannot remember. Thanks.

View more questions Search