Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cobrahelp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 07:08 PM
    Cobra and infertility
    My family and I are currently on my employer's health plan which pays for infertility. I may very well get laid off and we are trying to find out if we have to go on my husbands plan if I get laid off. We would prefer to do my cobra because it pays for 100% of infertility and my husbands plan only pays for a small percentage. We would love to stay on cobra till my husbands next open enrollment. Also, if I get a new job, do I have to take their coverage instaed of cobra? Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 6, 2009, 08:05 AM

We would love to stay on cobra till my husbands next open enrollment.
    Cobra is very expensive so you might want to look into the up-front cost to you and compare it with your husbands. Cobra also has a time limit on how long you can use it. It is specifically meant for people who've lost their jobs and need temporary insurance.

Also, if I get a new job, do I have to take their coverage instaed of cobra? Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.
    Since Cobra is meant as temporary coverage, its doubtful you can keep it if an employer offers you their coverage. If you qualify for your spouses insurance, you would have a choice between it or your own through your employeer.

I found this on their website

What is COBRA?

The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 (COBRA) requires most employers with group health plans to offer employees the opportunity to continue temporarily their group health care coverage under their employer's plan if their coverage otherwise would cease due to termination, layoff, or other change in employment status (referred to as "qualifying events").

How long must COBRA continuation coverage be available to a qualified beneficiary?

Up to 18 months for covered employees, as well as their spouses and their dependents, when workers otherwise would lose coverage because of a termination or reduction of hours.
    Up to 29 months is available to employees who are determined to have been disabled at any time during the first 60 days of COBRA coverage and applies as well to the disabled employee's nondisabled qualified beneficiaries.
    Up to 36 months for spouses and dependents facing a loss of employer-provided coverage due to an employee's death, a divorce or legal separation, or certain other "qualifying events".
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 6, 2009, 08:57 AM

You may stay on Cobra till the term of it runs out, but since it costs so much, you pay the full price, my cost on my last cobra was close to 600 dollars a month just for myself.
    And if you get a new job, then you really need to take the coverage when you can get it without proving health issues
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Oct 6, 2009, 10:39 AM
    I assume you are with a company with more that 20 employees.
    You could probably stay with your plan while unemployed. Once you are eligible for your own coverage with a new job you are no longer eligible for COBRA.
    You could COBRA just yourself and the rest of the family goes on to your spouses coverage.
    In any of the options you would not be eligible for the ARRA subsidy of 65%.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Femara and infertility [ 1 Answers ]

I am beginning my first round of femara for infertility, I was wondering if any of you have herd of this and how effective is it, it is a little scary starting the a new med, I have just researched it and herd a lot of good stuff and not very much bad if ANYONE has any input please respond

Secondary infertility? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I'm 26 have a 2 year old. We are trying for another baby now for 5 months. I am beginning to wonder if I have a fertility problem. I have been looking on line for reasons. I have been checking my cervical mucous and it does change through my cycle, but there is not a lot of it. I have...

Acupuncture for infertility [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I just recently started acupuncture (for about a month) since I started undergoing fertility treatments. How many times should I go? I've been going once every week but I don't know if I should continue with this frequency. I have been going to a doctor that doesn't specialize in infertility...

The pill and infertility [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone I am am new on the site,I have been trying to conceive for last one and half year went on clomid for two months didn't work I want to give myself a break from infertility woes but want to start taking the pill to keep away possible infection and cancers ...

Question about infertility [ 7 Answers ]

Just found the site today, this is my first post. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for over a year. In March it was determined that I had blockage in my tubes and that same month I had laparoscopy to remove the blockage. It is now the end of Aug and still no pregnancy. ...

View more questions Search