Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AmyLeefreak Posts: 69, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 03:53 PM
    Is singing for me?
    ;)Hey, I have posted a lot of things on here about songwrighting but, now I would like to move on into singing. I've been told by my best friend that I suck but, by others that I'm good. I thought I'd try chior and see if that would help; it has in ways but, not like I hoped. I began to use my own warm-ups by going higher and lower but, is there more I can do? I will be takeing singing lessions over the summer by the way but, would like to get started now so please help. And I'm only 13 so will my voice mature and sound better? Thanks,
    Sylvanta Sybil Posts: 74, Reputation: 5

Oct 5, 2009, 09:54 PM

Absolutely --- heck Charlotte Church started at nine, so why not?.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2009, 03:03 AM
    Hi again, AmyLeefreak!

Yes, if a person can walk, they can dance. If they can talk, they can sing.

The thing is, that we're not all born with a Stradivarius for an instrument. But, we can all do the same things, if we try and if we're physically and mentally okay and not handicapped.

Thanks!
    pixiegurl Posts: 54, Reputation: 4

Oct 8, 2009, 03:07 AM

I agree that everyone can sing, but not everyone is good. Definitely have some singing lessons (and get some advice from professionals while your there) and don't over use your voice, it is still developing and you could run the risk of damaging your vocal cords. I would be practising 20 minutes at the maximum for someone your age. Your voice will definitely develop over the years. Just be patient! Good Luck :)
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2009, 03:16 AM
    Hi, pixiegurl!

People become "good" because of how they practice. Although, what is considered to be "good" is a matter of opinion and choice.

At 13 years of age, an hour or even more of practice time per day would be okay, as long as the person had warmed-up properly before actually beginning the practice and takes appropriate amounts of breaks in time within the practice time.

Thanks!

Oct 8, 2009, 03:26 AM

Unless they are taught how to warm up I would suggest not to use the voice too much. They are just going to set themselves up for damage later on down the track. As for practising for an hour a day, not even some professionals do that because they know how it can affect the voice. Unless you are planning to go into opera, keep it simple. Without professional training, your walking a risky path.

Oct 8, 2009, 03:45 AM

A singer is like an athlete who gradually trains their body until it reaches the peak of its operating ability. Like any other muscle in body, the vocal chords need to be warmed up with exercises before asking them to perform. Although you may have been singing since you were small, it is important that you learn to sing in a healthy manner that builds up the muscles slowly and prevents damage to the voice.
    The vocal chords (also known as vocal folds) are small thin muscles that vibrate when air passes through them. The vibration ranges from fast to slow and the more 'elastic' they become, the easier it is for the notes to be produced.
    How long you practise for depends on the level of experience and amount of training that the singer has. For a complete beginner no more than 20 minutes a day including warm up, rests, vocalisation and cool down. The amount of practise time should be gradually increased over a period of months according to your singing teachers instructions.
    It is not advisable to sing for long periods without a lot of training! You would not expect to run a marathon without training slowly and regularly over a long period. The vocal mechanism is like any other group of muscles and requires the same type of gradual development. It should also be noted that even professional singers use their practice periods to do other types of training! As well as vocalising, a singer should use their rehearsals to learn lyrics, learn music, study techniques, observe recorded performances and utilise their time between singing rather than sing continuously for long periods which may strain their precious voices!
    If your voice starts to feel hoarse or sore during your practise session STOP singing immediately and completely rest the voice. When your voice has fully recuperated, review your vocal technique, start with gentle humming and cut down the length of practise time until you can consult your teacher. If the problem persists, do not sing
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2009, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pixiegurl View Post
    A singer is like an athlete who gradually trains their body until it reaches the peak of its operating ability. Like any other muscle in body, the vocal chords need to be warmed up with exercises before asking them to perform. Although you may have been singing since you were small, it is important that you learn to sing in a healthy manner that builds up the muscles slowly and prevents damage to the voice.
    The vocal chords (also known as vocal folds) are small thin muscles that vibrate when air passes through them. The vibration ranges from fast to slow and the more 'elastic' they become, the easier it is for the notes to be produced.
    How long you practise for depends on the level of experience and amount of training that the singer has. For a complete beginner no more than 20 minutes a day including warm up, rests, vocalisation and cool down. The amount of practise time should be gradually increased over a period of months according to your singing teachers instructions.
    It is not advisable to sing for long periods of time without a lot of training! You would not expect to run a marathon without training slowly and regularly over a long period of time. The vocal mechanism is like any other group of muscles and requires the same type of gradual development. It should also be noted that even professional singers use their practice periods to do other types of training! As well as vocalising, a singer should use their rehearsals to learn lyrics, learn music, study techniques, observe recorded performances and utilise their time between singing rather than sing continuously for long periods of time which may strain their precious voices!
    If your voice starts to feel hoarse or sore during your practise session STOP singing immediately and completely rest the voice. When your voice has fully recuperated, review your vocal technique, start with gentle humming and cut down the length of practise time until you can consult your teacher. If the problem persists, do not sing
    Hi again, pixiegurl!

Did you write everything that I've quoted above?

Thanks!
    HamAtom Posts: 20, Reputation: 7

Oct 8, 2009, 07:51 PM

Hey, if you want to sing, sing. Heck some of the people who "make it big" aren't all that amazing vocally. And some people have incredible voices but never really get off the ground. You never know. But, friend, if you like to sing, sing. Some people will hate it and some people will love it. That's the thing about art. Love it or hate it, someone will feel the opposite. Heh.

As far as things you can do to help, I'd suggest listening to a lot of music! Hearing a lot of different artists and styles can help you develop your own unique style and determine what sort of artist you'd like to be, especially as you're already writing your own stuff. Sing to the radio, work on vocal control, stretch your range a little. And by the time summer lessons roll around you'll only get better. :)
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2009, 09:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HamAtom View Post
    Hey, if you want to sing, sing. Heck some of the people who "make it big" aren't all that amazing vocally.
    Hi, HamAtom!

Your post is quite good! I also, very much agree with you about what I quoted from you above!

Thanks!
    AmyLeefreak Posts: 69, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2009, 01:50 PM

I understand that. Good answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Singing [ 9 Answers ]

How do I get myself out there and show people how good I am at singing?

If You're Into Men Singing. [ 12 Answers ]

If you're into men singing barbershop style music or otherwise, then please click on the following two links for a couple of videos that will blow you away! If you view them, would you please let me know what you think of them? :) Thanks! YouTube - Westminster Chorus 2007 Strike Up The...

Singing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am 13 years old and I look younger than my age.I don't think my voice sounds mature for my age.I happen to sound baby-like when I sing it tends to bring down my confidence.So now every time I sing its hard for me to believe I have a good voice. Everyone I have ever sang to though said I had a...

Singing as one? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I was wondering if anyone knew the verse in Revelations were it talks about when we get to heven and we sing praise in one voice. I forgot were it was but I know its in Revelations. If someone could help me that would be great! Thanks -Fallen

Singing [ 3 Answers ]

I want to be a singer when I grow up but I have problems writing songs wha should I do? I have no idea.

View more questions Search