Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chidiadi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 10:58 AM
    How do I prepare for a Pre-trial Conference?
    In March this year, Cohen & Slamowitz, LLP, wrote to me to collect an alleged debt, which they claimed their client, Midland Funding, LLC, had prchased from HSBC. In my response, I disputed the validity of the alleged debt, and requested the proof (a) that the alleged debt is my debt and (b) that Midland Funding, LLC, has been assigned the alleged debt and has the right to collect it.
    Cohen & Slamowitz wrote back to acknowledge the receipt of my letter; they added that they had contacted their client and were awaiting a reply.
    But, instead of providing the proof that I requested, Cohen & Slamowitz filed a summons & complaint against me, in my city court. This action, by Cohen & Slamowitz, is a flagrant violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). I answered the complaint immediately, citing the FDCPA violation in my affirmative defense.
    The court has scheduled a Pre-trial Conference for November 12, 2009. What do I do now to prepare for this conference? What is the format for a pre-trial conference? What am I supposed to say during this conference?
    I am a pro se defendant: I cannot afford to hire a lawyer. I live in New York State.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2009, 06:04 AM

Hello C:

I'm going to approach this from a different angle. That would be primarily, because I don't know if this loan is YOURS. You didn't say. I'll assume it is, so I wouldn't know how to defend a suit wherein there's NO defense...

You may have OTHER complaints, such as your FDCPA violation, but they're NOT defenses to the action at hand.

So, my advise is to NOT defend it, because it's going to cost you MORE money in the long run to contest it, IF you owe the money. You KNOW they're going to add legal fees and court costs. You'll wind up owing TWICE as much as you do now.

Instead, my advice is to get hold of some CASH and negotiate a settlement. If you do that, you could wind up paying HALF what you owe now.

That is assuming that you HAVE wages, bank accounts and other assets to protect. If you have NONE of those, that changes things...

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to prepare a trial balance [ 5 Answers ]

Prepare general journal entries for the following transactions of a new business called Pose for Pics. Aug. 1 Hashim Paris, the owner, invested $7,500 cash and $32,500 of photography equipment in The business. 1 Paid $3,000 cash for an insurance policy covering the next 24 months. 5 Purchased...

How to prepare a trial sheet? [ 1 Answers ]

Can som1 tell me de details about trial balance,Balance Sheet & profit and loss statement..!

Pre-Trial Conference/Mediation tomorrow [ 4 Answers ]

Tomorrow is the date of my Conference/Mediation in FL. I've been reading the forum here and others just trying to get an idea of what to be ready for tomorrow. At the time I'm unemployed with my wife supporting us. All the advice I get is to make sure you show up first of all. But I'm unclear of...

Pre-trial conference/mediation debt summons [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a summons for a pre-trial conference/mediation from Asset Acceptance. I have researched the "intent to defend" and how to respond to a summons. My debt agency that helped with paperwork between me and the creditors is going to offer a 650 settlement. The originial debt was for about...

View more questions Search