Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tobagomick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 09:19 AM
    Mild electrical shock in swimming pool
    I have the same problem in my pool in Tobago. Pool lights turned off but I still get a tingle from the light surround (die cast alum) and the stainless steel handrail. I have installed an earth bond between the deck box, had rail and sub panel earth point. I have further installed an earth electrode approx 6m from the panel and bonded with 10mm cable.
    Why should this happen?
    Any solution will be appreciated.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2009, 05:03 PM

I smell band-aids. You can read the US NEC code online by following the sticky when you click on "Electrical & Lighting" at the top left of this page.

The point is you need an equipotential grid within, I think 5' of the perimeter of the pool. That starts at the concrete.

Any metal like the hand rail, the light bezel, the pool skimmer, the water needs to be bonded. Where? That bolt on the pool pump that is begging for a ground to be attached to.

Everything else should follow in place with no additional ground rods etc. The pools EGE will take care of the ground requirements.
    tobagomick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 02:18 AM
    Thanks, I will delve deeper on my next visit to Tobago

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mild electrical shock in swimming pool [ 72 Answers ]

:eek: Our swimming pool pump is grounded to the ladder in the pool and also to a copper grounding rod in the ground. The problem is when you touch the wet concrete around the pool while touching the water in the pool you get a mild shock. We've checked it with a voltage meter{the blk. Electrode...

Mild electric shocks in pool [ 72 Answers ]

I have been living in my house with a 25,000 gallon inground vinyl pool for nearly six years. The pool also has an attached spa. Yesterday, we noticed that when in the water at the steps in the shallow end and touching the concrete pavers right in front of the steps, we get a buzzing shock...

Shock from swimming pool [ 1 Answers ]

Just installed salt generator in swimming pool and now we are receiving a small

Electrical shock [ 1 Answers ]

I was electrocuted about a year ago I accidentally put my hand on the main lug in a meter base while I was working on it I suffered no burns But my opposite limb,arm,shoulder wrist and hand all were affected I have a constant pain 24/7/365 and some severe shooting pain at no certain times or...

Electrical shock [ 3 Answers ]

I just had a new roof & vinyl siding put on my home. The guys doing it got shocked while on the aluminum ladder which was leaning on the gutter. Got any ideas why?

View more questions Search