Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nguard Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 09:10 AM
    Bathroom Tile
    Has anyone ever tried to carefully remove the 50's ugly bathroom wall tile and use the same base to install updated tile?. Not looking forward to ripping out all the tile and the inches of mortor behind them... it but it would save me some cash and time... is it even possible?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 5, 2009, 09:16 AM

If this is ceramic it is likely set in modified thinset which is hard as cement. When the tile is popped you will need to scrap.chisel the surface fairly smooth before applying any new tile.
    albertlahue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2009, 02:49 PM

UNfortunately removing tile is not a precise or easy job. I have renovated many bathrooms in my history of work. I have always found it to be the easiest to remove everything on the wall. Rarely is this a load bearing wall so it is easy to remove and replace. Once it has been removed(leaving pluming in place). Once you have the walls replaced use the recommended underlayment/wonderboard which is easy to cut and fit into place. Once this is completed you can begin installing the new tile of your choice. You can use a thin set mortor or a quality mastic made specifically for ceamic tiles. Gl and take your time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom tile setting [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I am re-tileing a shower and a jacuzzi tub. Can anyone tell me if the tiles on the walls are set first or the deck and do I leave a gap at the bottom for grout or caulking?

Bathroom Tile [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am going to start tiling a basement bathroom floor. My question is whether I need backer board if I am tiling on cement already? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bathroom tile [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have removed the old shower tiles and the surface has the old thin set on the floor in spots. I also, took some of the mortar out with the old tiles. Do I need to resurface the floor with new mortar and fill in the low spots and smooth over before laying the new tiles? This is my first tiling...

My bathroom has 2 layers of tile/ can it take a 3rd? [ 4 Answers ]

My bathroom has 2 layers of tile and the woman who owned it before me tried to remove the tile. ( she did about a 1 ft square before she gave up- that's how I know there is 2 layers) she was very proud of the carpet she GLUED to the floor with contractors glue!! YUCK!! I am going to rip the carpet...

Bathroom Wall Tile [ 2 Answers ]

I am tiling my bathroom walls with a ceramic tile. I want to do a diamond pattern. When I cut the pieces on a 45 degree angle, the tile chips off when I get close to the opposite corner. I don't get a clean cut from end to end. What is the secret to getting a nice end to end cut?

View more questions Search