Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bossanova Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 07:50 PM
    Damsel in distress - how to know whether to put in a cleanout in yard?
    First time consulting the collective wisdom.

I am a homeowner - small home - built in 1950 - in neighborhood known for flooding. Neighbors have had problems - me, nope. No sump pump - nada.

Had a camera scope out my main pipe leading to the street. Guy did it from inside my house where I have a 4" pipe. Saw a few places where roots were starting to get in - but no blockage. One place - where he said the 4" went into the main 6" pipe - and here there was a lot of goop (he said "slime" - and that was typical to happen at this juncture). He said he couldn't use a small rodder as it wouldn't make a difference - a) in the slimy material, and b) in the roots of the 6" pipe because it wouldn't hit the edges.

He recommended, as others have - to install a bypass in the front yard - made of PVC. They would install this, supposedly, over the worst part - perhaps the joint of the 4" going to the 6".

He said I would be set - but I question whether I would eventually need a whole new pipe - if already some roots are getting in in other places - or if routine rodding will prevent this.

He said there was no emergency - but over time - it would become blocked and the small rodder wouldn't do the trick. It's less expensive for routine stuff - $65 for them to go from outside the house via the bypass.

They gave me a price of $1,400. I check the references - and they were stellar as was their listing on BBB. The price is at least $400 lower than another company.

They listed this price as an "estimate" - and I will be sure to get a contract with this number on it - so no surprises later.

Please, please let me know what you think ASAP . Thank you All!!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 5, 2009, 06:18 AM
    recommended, as others have - to install a bypass in the front yard - made of PVC. They would install this, supposedly, over the worst part - perhaps the joint of the 4" going to the 6".
    You speak of a "bypass" in one sentence and a clean out in another. Which is it. What's he going to charge you $1,400 for? To put a cleanout over the raiser connection because of some goop and a few roots? I've had calls like that and what I did was to dig down to the joint and redo the connection where the roots enter. I think I'd hold on to my $1400. In the meantime let me give you some relief from the roots.
    . If you wish to control roots RootX or Robics Foaming Root Killer that contain Dichlobrnic are two products you could try.
    A less expensive way would be to call around to garden supply stores and ask for fine grain Copper Sulphate. Put a 1/2 pound in your toilet and flush it down. Repeat in 6 months.
    Hope this helps and thank you for rating my answer, Tom

Oct 5, 2009, 06:41 AM
    Hi, Tom - thanks so much for your answer. Here's what it says on my "estimate" - "install a clean out access in 6" line lead pipe in stone. Rod remaning line with 6" cutter. Back fill trench after inspection by City - all labor, material and permits applied." What I understand is that they will remove a section of the pipe, replace it with PVC - put some sort of sleeve at the ends, and plug it up somehow so there is no leakage between new pvc and old pipe. Then there will be an access in my yard - one of those "mini manhole" deals - that pokes up from the lawn.

When I looked at the pipe via the camera - there were several places with what looked like "balls" - growing on either side - more or less smooth bumps - providing otherwise smooth passage. Then the tangly area - with less of a hole - and seemingly more of a concern. He said between the 4" and the 6" pipes. No way for me to tell - but I did see a bunch there - just in one place.

Does the RootX, etc. get rid of the roots? Or just kill them? Safe for the plumbing?

Why do people get these clean out accesses installed then?

Thanks you so much!! Julie

Hi, Tom

First - apologies- I've never used this site -and don't know how to a) submit a rating and b) reply directly to an answer (is it possible?) - I've submitted an "answer" to my question - but here is directly to you:

Hi, Tom - thanks so much for your answer. Here's what it says on my "estimate" - "install a clean out access in 6" line lead pipe in stone. Rod remaning line with 6" cutter. Back fill trench after inspection by City - all labor, material and permits applied." What I understand is that they will remove a section of the pipe, replace it with PVC - put some sort of sleeve at the ends, and plug it up somehow so there is no leakage between new pvc and old pipe. Then there will be an access in my yard - one of those "mini manhole" deals - that pokes up from the lawn.

When I looked at the pipe via the camera - there were several places with what looked like "balls" - growing on either side - more or less smooth bumps - providing otherwise smooth passage. Then the tangly area - with less of a hole - and seemingly more of a concern. He said between the 4" and the 6" pipes. No way for me to tell - but I did see a bunch there - just in one place.

Does the RootX, etc. get rid of the roots? Or just kill them? Safe for the plumbing?

Why do people get these clean out accesses installed then?

Thanks you so much!! Julie
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 5, 2009, 08:18 AM

Rootx kills the roots, they will then decay and eventually fall apart. If your pipe is backed up this is not the way to go but its fine for a slow drain.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 5, 2009, 03:51 PM
    Most homes built after the 60s were mandated to install a cleanout in the sewer line to pass inspection. These clean outs were located not over 18" from the foundation, facing the street raiser and brought up to grade. Over the years dirt and soil will build up and hide it but we probe with a pointed roid until we locate it. Did your plumber find it and snake from there? I already told you the way we address your problem I n my area and it doesn't cost any $1400 bucks. Let me knoe more about this cleanout he wants to install at the raiser. If he's already dug down and expoosd the joint the roots are getting in at why doesn't he simply take the joint apart and caulk it correctly so it's root tight? That's the way we treat your problem down hear. In my area the county came out and installed a cleanout at the raiser but we were never required to put one in when when we connected the house sewer to the street raiser. The root killer will kill the roots but will not remove them. Thet's what snakes are for. Good luck, tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 5, 2009, 04:00 PM

How deep is your sewer? If its fairly deep, it will require a backhoe to dig up, which would make the 1400 not completely unreasonable. If they do dig up and fix a portion of the pipe, it's a good idea to install double cleanouts, one facing downstream and one facing upstream. Lee.

Oct 5, 2009, 05:22 PM
    Hi, Lee and Tom

Thank you both for your answers. Plumbing in not my forte, but research is. Today I spoke with my village plumbing inspector. He said:
    a) that they go in with cameras as an "in" - especially with a low price - to get the bigger job (the guy charged me $65 to do the camera probe).
    b) that in this area = yes, houses are now required to have clean outs, but mine was built ca. 1950 - and has no clean out
    c) He said - like Tom - to get Copper Sulfate (I spoke to the potential plumbing guy - and he said it doesn't work - because it rushes past the roots, and there is never enough water staying in the pipe at any one time for it to be effective - hmmmmm).
    d) He also said - ALL houses - even 1 year old homes - will have roots, and that all pipes have cracks eventually. He said since I do not have a problem - to not worry about it and to save the $1,400. To wait until something backs up and then have it rodded out. He said IF I want to put in a clean out - that that is all that should be done. Otherwise - being taken for a ride. He couldn't give me any suggestions on who to call - as it would be "unethical" - and he said he got out of the business to become an inspector because there was so much dishonesty in the biz. Ay ye ye - WHO can I trust on this? The plumbing contractor says "Do this now - or the price goes up after Monday - and you may have big $10,000+ problems later on" - pretty scary!
    d) my area (suburb north of Chicago) is known for flooding

And Tom - no he hasn't done any work yet -I have not gone ahead with the contract just yet.

And Lee - I don't think it's too deep - and the property is very small- small house, on small lot. Typical 1950's neighborhood - ranches, Georgians, and bi-levels - all quite close to each other, on standard city lots. I don't think anything is too deep. They said it might take a day to do.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 6, 2009, 05:19 AM
    Listen to the inspector. He echoed what I've already said. The sewers in your area are dug below the frost line. I'm a Rockford transplant to Florids and have worked in many of them and they are deep.
    Ay ye ye - WHO can I trust on this? The plumbing contractor says "Do this now - or the price goes up after Monday - and you may have big $10,000+ problems later on" - pretty scary!
    And that's exactly what the contractor's attempting to do, bully you into. Using "scare tactics" to get you to contract for a overpriced job. Evenb if T had the job let out I wouldn't give it to this guy. And what would nake the job cost more on Monday? Nah! I'ved never approved of using scare tactics to get a job. Get arotrher contractor and stay away from this bully. Plumbers like him is why the inspector got out of the trade in the first place. And copper sulfate does work on roots. Regards, Tom

Oct 8, 2009, 06:12 PM
    Thank you, Tom!! I'd hug you - if you were closer : )
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 9, 2009, 05:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bossanova View Post
    Thank you, Tom!!! I'd hug you - if you were closer : )
    I dig hugs! I'll hop a plane and you can greet me with open arms. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Damsel in distress [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... I will try to be concise and to the point... My kitchen sink became stopped up so I am trying to fix it myself. So far I have been able to stick 25 ft. of a tape measure all the way down the clean out drain but when I went to put a hose in the pipe to try to blast out whatever was clogging...

Damsel in Distress re formuleas for severance payments [ 1 Answers ]

I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out. I want to know what formula to put in if I am caculating severance payments based on years and months service. I have managed to figure out how to calculate the years, but am stuck on calculating the months. What I want to know is how to input the...

Hairlight distress [ 4 Answers ]

I go to the beauty shop and ask for gold highlights. They always turn out white. How can I get the highlights gold and to stay gold. I want yellow gold. Don't want white hair because I am 58, I need shampoo or color advice.:confused: How can I get yellow gold highlights instead of white ones?

Virgin in distress! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I'm in a very confusing situation at the moment. It all started during my second semester of college when a close friend and I started getting closer physically, at first it was weird (I've never hooked up with anyone but my serious ex-boyfriend) and we promised ourselves it would never happen...

Gran in Distress [ 11 Answers ]

Son and wife now divorced. He lives in Florida, ex-wife and 1 yr old son in W. Virginia. Gran in Florida wants to go and see grandson but ex-dau-in-law says No. Do I have visitation rights?

View more questions Search