Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uniklade Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 12:28 PM
    Wage Garnishments
    I am trying to stop garnishment of my wages. I purchased some furniture and fell behind in the payments. I have tried to work something out with the debtor but they refuse to make any kind of arrangements. On the bottom of my pre-judgement statement, it states that the plaintiff may file for a lien on any real property owned by the defendant to enforce this debt. Are ny wages considered real property?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2006, 12:48 PM
    What state do yo live?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 1, 2006, 12:53 PM
    No wages are not considered real property. But they are assets that are subject to attachment in case of a judgement. But a garnishment requires that a judgement be awarded. So then can't garnish your wages or attach real property until a judgement has been handed down.

So your time to fight this is in the court that is hearing the suit to obtain the judgement.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Nov 1, 2006, 12:57 PM
    The creditors are usually willing to accept ANY arrangement prior to a court date if you stick to it. Do not miss the hearing or fail to respond they will get a judgement default (thats what they almost always get)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 1, 2006, 01:13 PM
    I will disagree with newaukumdon, a creditor will accept any reasonable offer. If you for example owe 3000.00 and offer them 10 dollars a month, no they will most likely not accept that amount, since the interest alone would be more than that. If you offered 50 to 100 a month yes they would most likely accept it. ( but always get it in writing)

Once they get the judgement, yes they can garnish your wages. So they know this, and if they know where you work and how much you make, they know they can get normally at least 25 percent of your paycheck.

They are also allowed to attack some property but normally never do that.

The only way to beat it, is to prove you don't owe them the money or that you have an accepted payment plan in the works.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Nov 1, 2006, 03:40 PM
    Very good, I will say though that a smart or really dumb and malicious debtor can tangle things up a while. In some cases the creditor has "purchased" the bad debt for pennies on the dollar and will be pretty amiable.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2006, 08:10 PM
    They are, and once a judgment's been obtained, the creditor has every right to garnish your wages as well as pursue any other means of collecting what's owed. It's kind of surprising that they refused to work out any kind of arrangement. That's actually more cost efficient for them as long as you follow through with your end of the deal. You should document for the court the fact that you were willing to negotiate an arrangement but they refused. That may make the judge a little more sympathetic to your case and may prevent a judgement from being ordered against you, which will stop any pending wage garnishment or at least buy you some more time with which to pay off you debt.
    samsclub Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Nov 10, 2006, 08:00 PM
    Not only can they garnish/put a lien on it. They can possibly make you pay their lawyer fees and court costs.
    mzdebb Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 29, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by uniklade
    I am trying to stop garnishment of my wages. I purchased some furniture and fell behind in the payments. I have tried to work something out with the debtor but they refuse to make any kind of arrangements. On the bottom of of my pre-judgement statement, it states that the plaintiff may file for a lien on any real property owned by the defendant to enforce this debt. Are ny wages considered real property?
    No. Real property is land and anything that is attached to the land such as buildings, wells, and pumps.. minerals in the land, and anything that is attached within buildings such as light fixtures, fans, heaters etc.
    define:Real property - Google Search

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Checking Account Garnishments [ 4 Answers ]

I was recently surprised that my checking account had been garnished by a creditor for a debt that I owe. I was making payments to the creditor, and then they file for a judgement against me. I don't understand it. Nevertheless, I have a disabled husband, and disabled daughter of which neither...

Bank Account Garnishments [ 5 Answers ]

My bank account was recently frozen by a company for a vehicle I co-signed for with a friend in 1999 who had insufficient credit. It was repossessed without my knowledge until much later :mad:. The car was purchased solely for my friend to use as I had a car;never drove it or rode in it. Both of...

Wage garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know what to do about a wage garnishment that I am not even sure what it is for, the law office gave me no information, please help. My e-mail is [email protected]

Wage Garnishment [ 11 Answers ]

I recently moved from GA to SC for a job transfer. South Carolina does not have a wage garnishment law but Georgia does. My company's headquarters is in Atlanta and they have been served with a court order to garnish my wages for an unpaid credit card debt. The garnishment order was processed well...

Child support garnishments [ 2 Answers ]

My husband pays child support to his ex girlfriend for their 8 year old daughter. They were only 17 when his girlfriend had her. His ex and him only dated a couple weeks when he moved out of state. He was informed he had a daughter two years after she was born. We finally convinced his ex to allow...

View more questions Search