Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Krissy57af Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 11:14 AM
    Finding total revenue with limited info
    Green Company reported the following amounts at the end of its first year of operations:
    Contributed Capital $30,000
    Total Expenses $61,000
    Total Assets $90,000
    Dividends $16,000
    Total Liabilities $25,000
    Calculate the total revenues earned by Green Company during its first year of operations"

I am trying to use the equation revenues-expenses=net income since expenses are given, I need to find net income before I can solve for revenues.
    I used assets=liabilites+equity to solve for equity and got $65,000.
    Since Equity is contributed capital plus retained earnings I solved for retained earnings and got $35,000. Since the information given in the problem was from the end of the year (Dec 31), this would be the ending retained earnings correct? How do I find the beginning retained earnings so I can figure out net income?
    The only other equation we've been given so far is: Beginning retained earnings+net income-dividends=ending retained earnings.
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Oct 4, 2009, 01:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krissy57af View Post
    I used assets=liabilites+equity to solve for equity and got $65,000.
    You're off to a good start, Krissy.

You're also correct that ending Retained Earnings must be 35K. One thing to consider, though, is that Retained Earnings is reduced by Dividends. The "Retained Earnings" equation plays out like this...

[Beginning RE] + [Net Income (or minus Net Loss)] - [Dividends] = [Ending RE]

Since this is the company's initial year, Beginning RE is zero. With this, plus what's been given, and tossing in what you've calculated yourself, this equation becomes

0 + [Net Income] - 16 = 35 (all in thousands, of course). Use that to find Net Income, then use your

Net Income = Revenues minus Expenses equation to wrap it up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Equation For Finding The Total Distance [ 5 Answers ]

How can I find the total distance of a problem?

How to calculate total revenue and dividends [ 8 Answers ]

I am stuck on one question with two parts. I have tried to work on this for several hours and attempted to look up and Google for any help. A. I have to find the total revenue of a business with only summaries of data from the balance sheet, income statement and retained earnings...

View more questions Search