Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WLW34215 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 04:54 AM
    Furnace quotations.
    I have received 2 quotes on a new furnace for my 2 story wood frame colonial with 22 windows. Cold air returns on 1st floor only.

total sq.ft. - 1780
    exixting furnace - 115,000 BTU Carrier Comfortmaker 80% single stage burner / blower. Date of installation 1987.

reason for new furnace - high fuel bill, cold spots and generally cold house.

contractor #1 - measured entire house, duct work, cold air returns and windows, then spent 3 hours going over calculations and units avail. And came up with the following information.

old unit is sized to big for my house and recommends 90,000 2 stage burner, variable speed blower with humidifer - Goodman make installed with standard mfg. warranty. Cost was $6,888.00

contractor 2 - looked at existing unit said it was sized wrong and in 20 minutes had a quote and recommendation of what we could use.

60,000 to 80,000 BTU with the same features recommended by # 1. Went with the 80,000 unit because he said that the 60,0000 would work to hard but could be used if I choose.
    Goodman $3,500 - installed
    Trane $4,500 - installed

why would there be so much difference between the two contractors and the size of units recommended?
    tjg Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 08:11 AM

I would say that contractor one is right be cuase he performed heatloss caculation on the house but is over priced
    Contractor two is probably not right because he failed to perform heatloss calcution and probably used a rule of thumb
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 4, 2009, 08:32 AM
    Check this
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf How to pick a Contractor.pdf (309.7 KB, 150 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Add on coal/wood furnace thermostat wiring for 2 zone house with oil furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a Harman wood / coal furnace model SF-2500 (forced hot air system) and am tying into my existing forced hot air oil furnace 2 zone system and do not know how to tie into the existing thermostats and zones. I wish to still use the 2 separate zones for the bedrooms and the main body of...

"Received By" line - To use quotations or not? [ 14 Answers ]

This is instruction for a line on a form. **Please sign on the "Received By" line. Do you use quotations or not? Or use some other form of denotation?

MLA Format-Film Quotations [ 1 Answers ]

Is this the correct format for a film quotation using MLA format? In Kenneth Branagh’s Hamlet (1996), Horatio says, What art thou that usurp’st this time of night, Together with that fair and warlike form In which the majesty of buried Denmark Did sometimes march? By heaven, I charge thee, ...

The following bond quotations are taken from the Wall Street Journal dated [ 1 Answers ]

The following bond quotations are taken from the Wall Street Journal dated Friday, September 5, 2003: Company Coupon Maturity Last Price Yield International Paper (IP) 6.750 Sep 01, 2011 108.198 5.468 Sara Lee (SLE) 3.875 Jun 15, 2013 89.700 5.235 Wells Fargo (WFC) 7.250 Aug 24, 2005 109.645...

Painting quotations [ 2 Answers ]

How much do painters charge per square foot of wall on average.

View more questions Search